• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pictures from VietNam, 1968.

cbvet

Couldn't find a better forum for these pictures, but thought someone might like them. I took these in the DaNang area in 1968.
Eric

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: More pictures. 1968

Good pics, reminds me of slide show nite last time my dad dragged out the Kodak slide projector to show off his Vietnam and Thailand pics from 1963-1967. He was 12 Bravo in SE Asia for those years, helped build a lot of the roads that were used throughout the war. I wish I know how to take old slides and make digital pics outta them, heck I wish I knew how to get them from dad - he hasn't spoke much about that war to me, for good reason from his point of view. A lotta Vietnam vets just don't want to talk about it, to anyone except themselves.

jatonka

Thanks for the great photos, I just built a Gun Truck to show respect to all of the guys who put their time in Vietnam. I wanted to be a CB, didn't work out. JT out

alphadeltaromeo

Re: RE: More pictures. 1968

maddawg308 said:
Good pics, reminds me of slide show nite last time my dad dragged out the Kodak slide projector to show off his Vietnam and Thailand pics from 1963-1967. He was 12 Bravo in SE Asia for those years, helped build a lot of the roads that were used throughout the war. I wish I know how to take old slides and make digital pics outta them, heck I wish I knew how to get them from dad - he hasn't spoke much about that war to me, for good reason from his point of view. A lotta Vietnam vets just don't want to talk about it, to anyone except themselves.
maddawg...

http://www.viewpixmedia.com

They can build a quality DVD presentation out of slides, etc and can provide some photo restoration. Would be a good way to preserve the old slides.

lacoda56

Thanks for posting the pictures. My brother was in the same area in '65. 11th Marine Division, if I remember right. He never talked about it much.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Love the pics Eric. My jaw dropped when I saw the pipeline truck. Guess I'm gonna have to have another one here before long, they are just cool!

cbvet

You know it's kinda funny how your perception changes with time & experience.
When I was in the 'Bees we had all these trucks & dozers etc around, but didn't care much about them as long as they got the job done. They were just tools.
If someone had asked me in 1968 if I wanted a Deuce when I got home, I'd have laughed. I wanted an Avanti! A fast & sexy car! Not a truck.
I never bought an Avanti, but now I have a Deuce of my own, & I'm happy.
Pipeline truck? We just called it the mechanic's truck.
Had some great adventures in that truck. Up hills so steep we'd run in low low & steer from outside the door so we could jump free if we lost it. Sometimes the angle would be so steep, making the front end so light, you could easily steer with one finger, but you didn't dare move the wheel. A slight turn & you would roll sideways down the hill. Made you forget about the VC for a while.
And going down those hills could be worse. Standing on the brakes & sliding, over-revving the engine trying to get some braking action out of it, attempting a sharp turn at the bottom to avoid ending up in a rice paddy. Didn't make it a couple of times. Oh well, that's why God invented winches.
Eventually that truck ALWAYS got us back to camp okay, no matter how much we abused it.
I'll bet no one ever had that much fun in an Avanti.
Eric

amanco

Nice pics of the Seabee truck markings. Just verifies the markings I put on my truck are at least authentic to 1968. Also proves I wasn't full of it when I said right side Seabee is also left facing. No right facing logos.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Great Photos, Thanks for posting them. I know how you feel about how things change. When a young enlisted man in the early 70's I did not see myself owning a duece either but then I would not have been able to take it with me anyway. One of the great encouragements I had when getting to Aberdeen was finding out how young many of the folks here on Steel Soldiers are. Makes me know we still have the best Country in the world.

God bless you for your service.

cbvet

You're all very welcome. Thanks to you too.
I wish I had more vehicle pictures to post, but back then they weren't of much interest.
For those of us that served in the military these machines are part of our past, & we can relive it to some extent with these big green toys. Usually without anybody shooting at us.
Once upon a time they were just trucks. Now they're part of our history.
Most of us will never know whether our vehicles served overseas, or whether they may have "seen" combat. But they might have.
I think that's cool.
Eric
CBVET

jeli

It's interesting you made the comment about the trucks seeing combat. That was one of the first questions a friend asked me when I brought it over to his house. I'm not a picture taker. I have very few pics of Army stuff. Just another day at the office. When you live out of them for days or weeks at a time you never give it a second thought.

Ever since joining 23 years ago I loved to drive the big green trucks. Even though they all look alike I could recognize our trucks by sight or sound. When we went to Guatemala our 998's were sent down. I spotted mine in the motor pool from 100 yds away. There were no obvious markings I just knew it was mine.

238mph

I'm in Tucson, AZ and we have a huge surplus yard here... some of these 6x6 come
in here are all shot up, blown apart.

I want to buy one of those, and leave it as is to show what some of our guys go
through for the rest of us.

I don't think the average person in the US has any clue... maybe if they saw a cab
full of blood and holes the size of baseballs they'd understand.

PS, I'm new on here... been reading a ton of stuff, just never posted before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks