• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pictures from VietNam, 1968.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have seen way too many cabs filled with blood and body parts I don't like to think of the Soldiers that way. It is so impersonal. I hope most Americans never have to see the results of a mine strike or an RPG or ground fire that cuts through sheetmetal like a hot knife through butter. It is hard to look at that duece that we lost a good Soldier in knowing that even in Vietnam the CSS trucks were sent to fight without any armor protection. We have pushed very hard to give todays Soldiers the best protection possible but even that can not protect them from a burried 500 pound bomb going off under them. I think the best way to sell our fellow Americans on supporting the Troops is to actively support the Troops ourselves. A big thanks to all of you that do.

Just my 2 cents,
Thanks

KaiserM109

Those shotup trucks in Tucson, AZ were probably used for target practice in training activities. Trucks, or any equipment in general, that was not serviceable was not returned to the US. They were collected in scrap yards and who knows what happened after that.

In Viet Nam damaged Huey helicopters were broken down and the central portion that included engines and the transmission were brought back on aircraft that would otherwise be dead-heading back. The scrap yard at Ben Hoa was incredible, an MV lovers wet dream. We needed a transmission for an M37 and wound up getting a whole truck that had a blown engine. The ‘parts truck’ was better than the one we were trying to repair.

As far as I have been able to confirm, the only equipment that has come back from either Viet Nam or Iraq was equipment that belonged to National Guard units because the ownership is technically different. I believe that Federal units, including Army Reserve and Regular Army units, did not bring back anything other than critical equipment. In the case of Viet Nam, a lot of equipment was given to ARVN units when we pulled out.

I recently acquired an M109A3 deuce with a box which was manufactured in 1966. I know that the last unit to own it was the 39th Inf. Bde. that served on the Syrian border from 2004 to 2005. The 39th Inf. Bde. Is a National Guard unit from Arkansas and they apparently brought their equipment back with them. My truck had customs papers from Iraq still taped inside the hut. There is a decal with their patch, a Bowie knife, on the driver’s windshield. See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=144726&highlight=#144726

It’s just supposition, but it appears that the same thing happened in Viet Nam with this truck. The 39th was re-equipped in 1967 and deployed to Viet Nam in 1968 as part of the 4th Inf. Div. The 4th came back in Dec., 1970 so this truck probably served in Viet Nam and in Iraq.

A Steel Soldiers member that might be able to cast light on this subject is ARMYMAN30YearsPlus. He has had personal experience with some of this.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
You hit the nail right on the head about the Army Guard equitpment. If it was not a combat requirement vehicle, the Guard shipped the items home. No current equipment was shipped like UAH's or FMTV's or any vehicle with an approved armor kit added to it has been shipped back the CONUS unless it slipped by the many screening sites in the redeployment process.

Most of the Deuce vehicles since the early rotations are not even making it back past the marshalling areas in Kuwait. Around 2004 the Army figured it was not worth shipping them since they could either sell them to the Iraqis or just cut them up and sell them for scrap rather than ship them.

The Guard is supposedly getting reimbursed for every piece of equipment they leave behind. This war is consuming a large part of the Army's wheeled vehicles and a real concern is how to keep the fleet ready for the next requirement. We have huge rebuild programs going to refresh tired vehicles but this will take a long time to get them all back to 10/20 standards.

You have a great piece of history thanks to the Guard and I would sure keep that one specifically for the lineage it carries. Frame the customs document many of us would like to have such a verification that we have a real war horse.

beaubeau

CBVET V.N.68-69

I saw your pics and it brought back memories! I WAS IN NAM FROM FEB 68 TO OCT 69 WITH THE 7TH. ENGS. IN DANANG. WE BUILT A LOT OF ROADS AND BRIDGES. I detonated a mine around Marble Mountain in Oct 68 while driving an M151 with 14tons of hot asphault on. In Sept I detonated a mine with a M123 tractor somewhere around Hill65. Don't know more about locations. Were you there when ASP#1 caught fire and blew up?? Lots of Good fireworks. I used to haul water from Camp Tiensha, some Navy base> Well, Good Luck. I'm trying to find some pics I had from 68=69. Phil

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Amen:
I know it is great to see these pictures and read the accounts, I still regret not taking many pictures during my enlisted days in the 70's and in the first Gulf War. I saw so many things people would not believe without a picture. I try to take as many as I can now since I have no excuse not to.

God bless you for your service

cbvet

Phil,
I didn't see ASP 1 blow. I did a lot of work on ASP 2 in '68.
I was nearby when the Phu Bai ammo dump went up in '67 though. We thought we were really getting hit! Chunks were falling from the sky.
Camp Tien Sha was a major SeaBee supply & support base. There are some guys who were at Tien Sha who come to the VietNam Veterans reunion in Kokomo Indiana every year.
Welcome Home!
Eric
CBVET

littlebob

Thanks for the pic's and welcome home to all of the vets. I want to try and make mine Vietnam era when its finished, to honor all of the vets I know that
were there.
littlebob

beaubeau

Marine pics Viet Nam 68-69

:beer: I t took me a while to find my pics and no I shall try to post! Most Vehiclel I drove myself through the 19months I was there. It was like Graduating from a M51 to Fuel tanker to Low Beds to M123 and last was 6000 gals. Water tanker , I supplied water to Bn.

Attachments

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
40 years ago???!! It still seems like last year to me! Where did the time go, why is my hair white, and who is that old fart who stares back at me in the mirror when I get up in the morning???? ;)

good pics .My dad was there 68-71 he never talked about it but one time when we were drinking beer together one night.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks