• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston Rings Worn Out, Time for a Rebuild

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about not getting updates as quick as we all would like. I understand.

I was not able to use the dyno, so I just took the truck out on the highway today to break it in. Right off the bat I heard a loud ticking when I pulled out of the driveway. It sounded more like a compression leak than something mechanical. I pulled over and realized it was a loose injector. I tightened it up and hoped back in the truck. I took It ran fine, EGTs never got past 1000 really, which is a good sign of all the cylinders pulling their weight. I put 76 miles on the truck just today. I got back home and pulled in the driveway. I quickly checked for blowby while it idled (i didn't want to let it idle long). I still have blowby but its coming out more steady like it might be from all the cylinders instead of one, not sure. So I'm up in the air about it now. I guess the only thing I can do now if I want is to do a leak down test and see how they all compare.
20160319_143809.jpg

o1951

Get it up to operating temp and then get on it HARD before you do leak down. Climb some of those hills in higher gear with foot really into throttle. Load it up for a while. Used parts - I think a few hundred miles for break in. You did use break in oil, eh?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get your piston/sleeve kit from?
TNJ Murray. I called them numerous times and they said they would call me back and have my talk to one of their mechanics but that has never happened. they said they never had anybody complain about their kits not working. I have raw data showing my issue. If I could do it over, if my pistons were in good shape, I would have just put rings in it and not used these "NOS LDS" piston kits. I'm not impressed.

Here is another thing. Even if I did glaze the cylinders with my used oil/diesel mix, when I honed the cylinders and put the pistons back in, that would have fixed it. Yet it still has blow by. I never had them call me back when they said they would.

ShawnIfert

Sorry to here that. Did you check what the liners that you pulled from the engine originally were they, x or y?? The new piston kit are x liners.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would if I wouldnt get pulled over by the PO9. I just have a feeling that could turn to crap. This whole truck rebuilding had turned to crap. Money pit with the same blowby. sorry if i sound cranky. im just sick of it not working right, sick of TJN Murray giving me the run around and not wanting to call me back. I figure I spend almost $2000 with those guys that whey would give me the time of day. Nope. I still have some piston rings to send back to them that they overcharged me for. Set of piston rings were $60. yea, that was for one hole. I thought they were for all 6 because other places were charging $10 a hole. Ugh. I hate this. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.

Thank you for hearing me vent, I'm sorry to be cranky. I'm not dumb with engines and I just cant see how this still turned out like crap.

ShawnIfert

I live down the road from TNJ Murray. I drive down and buy stuff all the time there. The guy you are talking to is probably Albray, he is the parts manager there. I have not had a problem with the kits.

Plane Fast

Man, I hate to hear your still having issues. If the truck is in good shape. I would see if you can get your hands on some of the new canned motors that sold in CA a few months back. I think they sold for just under $900.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I feel really bad for you. I know how much work, time and hard earned money goes into rebuilding this engine. I am in the process of doing the same. I have the LDS injector pump, ordered the LDS intake rockers. The heads are in the shop and I ordered an LDS piston /sleeve kit. I ordered the piston and sleeve kit from Jatonka, he is a SS member.
I remember you saying that the piston ring tension was weak. I had Jatonka check one of his pistons and sleeve, he said it was difficult to move the piston in the bore. I going to check them out real close when I get them.
I sincerely hope your engine breaks in okay.

ShawnIfert

When I installed mine, I lubed then and had to hammer them down the bore with a piece of wood and a hammer to hook them up to the rods. I sprayed them with WD the night before and greased them in the morning.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, I feel really bad for you. I know how much work, time and hard earned money goes into rebuilding this engine. I am in the process of doing the same. I have the LDS injector pump, ordered the LDS intake rockers. The heads are in the shop and I ordered an LDS piston /sleeve kit. I ordered the piston and sleeve kit from Jatonka, he is a SS member.
I remember you saying that the piston ring tension was weak. I had Jatonka check one of his pistons and sleeve, he said it was difficult to move the piston in the bore. I going to check them out real close when I get them.
I sincerely hope your engine breaks in okay.
My pistons were difficult to move in the cylinders as well. Take lots of pictures of your rebuild. I'll follow it and if I see anything from my experiences, I'll let you know. I hope you have better luck than I did.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will do. I have measured the bore in my block, and measured the OD of my sleeves. Also measured my ring gap on the old pistons. My old pistons weren't worn much, a few were beat up from miss handling.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would if I wouldnt get pulled over by the PO9. I just have a feeling that could turn to crap. This whole truck rebuilding had turned to crap. Money pit with the same blowby. sorry if i sound cranky. im just sick of it not working right, sick of TJN Murray giving me the run around and not wanting to call me back. I figure I spend almost $2000 with those guys that whey would give me the time of day. Nope. I still have some piston rings to send back to them that they overcharged me for. Set of piston rings were $60. yea, that was for one hole. I thought they were for all 6 because other places were charging $10 a hole. Ugh. I hate this. Hate it, Hate it, Hate it.

Thank you for hearing me vent, I'm sorry to be cranky. I'm not dumb with engines and I just cant see how this still turned out like crap.

Let me know when I need to get your motor ready. I'll need about a weeks notice.