• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pix of my Super Singles

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, as promised, here are three pix of my trucks new Michelin XDY 11R22.5 tires. These are on normal (no split rim) 22.5 bud wheels. The two fronts are XDY-2's and the four rears are XDY-1's (retreads on virgin casing).

Sorry for the quality, I'll try and take some better ones tomorrow.

DR, yes indeedy, I OVER DID IT TODAY. Time to go to bed and get some rest. This is like a real job.

jim

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, Jim!
I know you measured the track width the other day, but what is it center to center?
My track width ctr-ctr is 69 inches with the "single" type wheels. Outside to outside on the widest part of tires it is 81 inches.
What tire pressure are you using? I have good performance with 70psi all around for my 1100-20 NDCC's.
Looks like an excellent choice of tread too. Looking at the image below, you know why we are skating when it gets wet. :oops:

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ctr to Ctr is 69 inches. Tires pressure is 90 psi. And after going for a drive, she steers MUCH better (almost like ps) and seems to be very happy with the choice of tires, especially the radial part.

The reason why I went with the XDY series is because I LIKE the agressive tread pattern, which will help when driving in snow due to putting quite a lot of rubber to the road.

I WILL also be purchase three sets of chains that will be used during any winter time driving I do in REALLY bad weather.

jim

Lax

Supper Singles

Are those the most agresive treads you can find for the Super Singles? Is it possible to get wider tires or is that it? I have been following your story for some time and like what you are doing. Thanks.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at ALL the tire makers for the commercial truck tires. This was just about the most aggressive you can go. I THINK Michelin makes one or two others, but MOST of my time will be spent on pavement, not off.

So while there MAY be others. The XDY3 is similar in design with an agressive tread, but I still like the XDY2 tread pattern. You can get the XDY3's in a 315/80R22.5 which will give you about one more inch width.

Realize that I was going the least expensive I could go and still get what I wanted. Hence the 22.5 inch 6 lug bud wheels from a big rig truck. Four of mine are take off's from UPS trucks and the other four I got with tires off of Ebay from a seller local to me here in Denver.

UPS has a certain criteria for the 'inner' set of wheels. They feel after they have run them for a certain time frame, they just replace them. As I'm running them as singles, the concern of UPS (the lug holes may enlarge - creating a liability) is not on my plate, as I'm bolting them up directly to the studs with lug nuts.

Now, if you wanted to go up to about 21 inches wide and about 45 inches tall, find yourself a set of 24.5 trucker wheels and you should be good to go with the XDY3's in 12R24.5 which will give you 21.3 x 45.6 respectively.

Here is Michelin's 'all truck tires' page : http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/productguide/newprod/AllTreads.jsp

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have. These are NEW Michelins and I personally hope that they will STILL have rubber on them ten - fifteen years down the road and still be in good shape.

jim

Trango

FYI on the tire width.... my rear singles are 90.5" wide outside to outside, and the fronts are 78.5" outside to outside. I am aiming to remediate the front.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures Trango?
Isn't it true that with too much rubber on the road, you'll begin to lose traction? Floatation isn't always desirable.
I have seen videos of a tracked vehicle (M548) not making it up a leaf covered slope because of too little ground pressure, while a truck with singles (M656) did make it up the same hill without a problem.

Lax

wallew,
Thank you very much. I'm trying to figure out what would be the very best for snow and mud for cross country travel and I don't mean road travel. Of course road travel will be what it sees 95% of the time but it's the last 5% that I'm concerned about. I want to be able to get where I want to go or.... get away from where I have to get away from without having to worry to much about deep snow or mud. Do you know anything about the Michelin ZXL? Are they too agresive or not made in the correct size? Just wondering. Maybe these are not that popular because they may be a little "challanging" on the highway. Thanks for your time.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LAX,
I've only looked at tires that would fit 22.5 inch wheels. I may be incorrect, but the only ZXL I've seen are sold on GL and they are for 20 inch wheels.

But again, someone else here I think actually runs ZXL's so maybe they could speak to that issue.

Like I said, my first goal was to go to non-split rims so I could break down a tire and either fix the problem or put a tube in it to temporarily fix it. This assumes it's flat number THREE, as I will be carrying two spares that will be the exact same tire as I'm running on the truck.

And I did not want to purchase a 'custom' set of wheels like those made by 6x6 or some other company, as the costs were not only prohibitive, but also NOT the style I was looking for.

The 22.5 six lug bud wheels I purchased look almost exactly like the normal US Mil Spec issue, minus the split rim.

I hope this helps and again, don't hesitate to contact me, with a pm or email, as I'm always up for answering any questions you might have.

jim

Lax

Jim,
Thanks a bunch. I too am going to be on a budget. And I too want to get away from the split rims for the same reason and more. I'm just a young pup when it comes to this so I'm learning. I appreciate your help. Like I said I have been watching your story with great interest. Thanks again.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course if you have to get there off road no matter what, you can always toss on a set of chains. I, personally have no knowledge of their benefit but Cranetruck touts them quite a bit and thats good enough for me. I'm sure he'll have something to say about the chains and mud! Looks great Jim, the wheels were a good find! I just can't adjust to the singles and skinny tires yet. I'll keep my duals until the NDCC supply dries up!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Of course if you have to get there off road no matter what, you can always toss on a set of chains. I, personally have no knowledge of their benefit but Cranetruck touts them quite a bit and thats good enough for me.
Bjorn has a video somewhere that shows him stick in the mud, and as soon as the chains were on, off he went.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps I should plan to go to Haspin just for a demo of how well chains work. :)
I rarily leave home without them...even brought them to Florida, but that was mainly to be prepared to get home in case of snow on our hilly road.
Yeah, I like my chains and they actually eliminate the need for serious off-road tires.

It's possible that they don't permit chains in an event like the Top Truck Challenge (spicergear Tom's event) because it might be considered cheating.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
Chains are DEFINATELY on the list. As we are starting spring now, probably a little further down the road, but definately before winter rolls around. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours and how much do they cost?

And I've been reading the rules for the Tough Truck Challenge AND the Real Truck CLUB Challenge and I have yet to see 'no chains' as a rule. Perhaps another read is in order. Remember, MOST of the folks are running tires that they would be hard pressed to find chains for. Your tires and mine are MADE to have chains attached.

Glen,
DrFoster, his son JR (Boy Scout) and I are actually planning going to a Boy Scout camping trip this coming weekend. Should prove to be interesting. If I can just get over my ear ache...

DrFoster,
As far as I'm concerned WE are still a go. Ear seems to be healing, albiet slowly. Like I said, worst case, come over and borrow her. But BE NICE TO HER. She's just got a new set of shoes and wants to show off.

jim