• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning an LDS swap

jesusgatos

I think I'm going to go for it. I've just got to see if I can get someone to bring a forklift or something out there that can lift it up that high. The seller has a hoist, but can only lift the engine about 2ft off the ground.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

I'm planning on hauling this engine back to the bay area (that's where Mah Deuce is right now), but I haven't figured out where I'll be able to do this swap. If there are any SS members within a few hours of 95037 that have space and something to lift one of these monsters in/out of a Deuce, I'd sure appreciate it.
I'm having a **** of a time finding anybody that's got a big enough hoist to make this swap (at least, that I'd be able to use - as opposed to paying someone else to do the swap for me). It's just that none of my friends are really geared-up for big projects like this. So I've been thinking about building an A-frame hoist, using my medium towbar. That would get the job done, right? I'd obviously still need another deuce, because I can't figure out how to pull the engine with an A-frame that's mounted on the same truck...

Is there anybody in/around the bay area that wouldn't mind lending a hand (mostly just a truck)?

tm america

if i were closer i would swap it out for you.you could rent a fork lift or backhoe to do the lifting. some rental yards rent a frames to. which ever works best for you and the terrain you have there .they also have heavy duty engine hoists that handle 2000lbs pretty easy the one i have will do 4000lbs i have picked up fullsize trucks with it before:grd:

tm america

that is just crazy the crate weighs more than the engine. did they use the crates as bomb shelters when they didnt have engines in them:roll:i need one incase we have a tornado .

tm america

well i would guess the engine weighs the same as the ldt. the bellhousing flywheel and clutch is heavierthe ldt is 1650 with rad. so would think the lds wouldnt be much more than maybe 1800,since it is the same block head intake water pump and accessories

jesusgatos

Wow, so that crate weighs AT LEAST 1000lbs. 2000lbs isn't too bad, it's more the height 7 reach that makes it a bigger job than I could tackle with any of the engine hoists I've got access to. I'll check with the local rental yard, but I don't think they've got anything much bigger than what I've rented from them before. I was planning on building an A-frame hoist anyway. This just makes it a little more of a priority.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jesse,
You will need to get a new oil pan gasket. And a 2x2 foot sheet of gasket material. You will also have to reuse the oil pickup tubes for the oil pan from your original engine. The oil pan is on backwards. You will also have to move the dipstick to the forward position. The gasket material will be need to make a gasket for the bellhousing to the block. You will destroy the old one when you remove the bellhousing to install yours.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yea and you will need a clutch line up tool to install your clutch on the new engine. The 5ton clutch is different. You will also have to reclock the new starter, Or reuse your old one. The hole is on the wrong side.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't it be easier to just install the 2 hole injectors onto your engine? Then turn up the fuel rate to match? Other than the oil pan, and bell housing, and injectors these engines are the same. And the wastegated turbo of course. You could keep it as a spare or untill your engine wears out.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They originally did. But one thing i've found with rebuilds is you never know what you'll get. The engine he has in the can has a 2 1/2 ton turbo on it. With a adaptor for the ton exaust. I have also seen them come with stickers on the oil filters indicating they have 2 1/2 injectors installed. And most rebuilds have the fuel rate set at the lowest piont. Making them hard to start with out some throttle. It's always nice when you find the test report in the holder in the can. It lets you know excatly what you've got.

jesusgatos

That was the plan Ken. I was looking for a spare engine to keep in a crate as a sort of insurance policy. But when I found this fresh LDS, I started thinking that I'd rather swap that engine into Mah Deuce and put my LDT in the crate.

jesusgatos

They originally did. But one thing i've found with rebuilds is you never know what you'll get. The engine he has in the can has a 2 1/2 ton turbo on it. With a adaptor for the ton exaust. I have also seen them come with stickers on the oil filters indicating they have 2 1/2 injectors installed. And most rebuilds have the fuel rate set at the lowest piont. Making them hard to start with out some throttle. It's always nice when you find the test report in the holder in the can. It lets you know excatly what you've got.
So you're saying this LDS might not have oil-cooled pistons, or an LDS cam, or 5-ton injectors & injector pump?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, You might just have a LDT with the oil pan swapped around and a bigger belhousing. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, But the camshaft and Injection pump are the same. The Difference on the pump is the fuel rate setting. There are one and two hole injectors. Meaning there are one or two holes for the fuel to spray out of. Engines that went through rebuild have parts swapped around. Atleast the ones i've worked on have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks