• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning an LDS swap

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you're saying this LDS might not have oil-cooled pistons, or an LDS cam, or 5-ton injectors & injector pump?
Don't worry, your engine was rebuilt to work in a 5ton and it has everything needed to safely power all that extra weight!
Do the swap and enjoy those additional 50 horses!;-)

G.

jesusgatos

It's my understanding that the camshaft and injection pumps are different, which, along with the oil-cooled pistons, is what helps the LDS put out a little more power. I understand that I could turn-up my LDT to make similar power, but I like that the LDS was tuned for that power, so I'm hoping it will be a little bit more reliable at 200+hp.

derby

I thought the two hole nozzles were for the LDT, and one hole for the LDS? I am thinking the LDS has a differant pump. I would not worry just put it in. You will find alot of answers when you pull the pan. I don't think they would have put the hydraulic pump on if it was being rebuilt to 2 1/2 ton specs.

jesusgatos

Picked up the engine as-planned. But the swap has been delayed, because I also picked up a brand new cab and a bunch of other parts. I've been busy building wheels and working on a bunch of other deuce-related projects. The LDT that's in my truck runs great, so I'm not in any big hurry to yank it. I'll definitely post-up when I get around to it though.

jesusgatos

Time to get serious about this swap. Need to pick up my engine before the end of the month. Anybody in CA have space and a lift or A-frame hoist or something I could use to pull this off? Have all my own tools, and would like to do the work myself, but would be willing to pay for use of space and a lift. Anybody?

JasonS

It's my understanding that the camshaft and injection pumps are different, which, along with the oil-cooled pistons, is what helps the LDS put out a little more power. I understand that I could turn-up my LDT to make similar power, but I like that the LDS was tuned for that power, so I'm hoping it will be a little bit more reliable at 200+hp.
According to Continental's literature on the LDS, the oil cooled piston results in a 100F decrease in top ring land temperature and allows the use of "lesser" oils. Only 50% of the oil squirted makes it into the pistion. It's not what I'd call significant.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I say make a decision and stick with it. If you want an LDS, put in the LDS! I know guys with tuned LDTs and they still tell me I have more power. Not WAY more power, just more power. Why risk running an LDT at it's ragged edge power wise when you don't have to? I thinlk you'll be glad you made the swap. Then again, lots of people tell me I'm "touched in the head".

JasonS

My question is what is significantly better about the LDS. The piston cooling seems minor and was done with the intent of using poorer oils (think about that, oils considered poor in the sixties!). If you had to pareto the multi's shortcomings, it sure seems that the lower end would come first, head gasket second, and those are the same on both engines, right? Can you put an LDS turbo on the LDT, turn up the fuel, maybe adjust the timeing, and end up with substantially the same thing?

gimpyrobb

From what I have found, the LDS is still a bit more powerful than a Tuned LDT. The swap isn't for everyone, I know alot of guys that love the LDS though. ;)

wsucougarx

Time to get serious about this swap. Need to pick up my engine before the end of the month. Anybody in CA have space and a lift or A-frame hoist or something I could use to pull this off? Have all my own tools, and would like to do the work myself, but would be willing to pay for use of space and a lift. Anybody?
If all else fails, bring the LDS and your M109 to Brad's and change it out there. Pick up your trailer while you're at it;-)

jesusgatos

Got the truck all stripped-down, and I'm putting together a list of parts to order. Finally going to get started on this engine-swap. Who's got oil pan gaskets in stock, and can I get a pre-made gasket for the mating surface between the block and the bellhousing, or should I just make one? How thick should it be?

Planning on switching over the 2.5-ton oil pickup and crossover tubes, re-torquing the mains and rods, flipping the oilpan around, re-torquing the head bolts and valve adjustment screws. Will also be reusing the 2.5-ton MF bellhousing/adapter, flywheels and starter spacer. Have a new 2.5-ton clutch to install.

What about the updated rear main seal? Would hate to have that start leaking right after I get the engine in there.

Need to figure out how to check to make sure the booster pumps spins freely.

Will pre-lube before start-up, but I'll probably post-back to ask how...

I've got a couple of different universal clutch alignment tools, but they're for smaller cars/trucks. Will that work, or do I need to buy a clutch alignment tool specifically for the Deuce?

Anything else?

gimpyrobb

Nope, not yet. I have too much other stuff going right now. Just knowing they should show soon is all I need to know. I will get a measurement in the morn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks