• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning my m818 recovery

indy4x4fab

Banned
[/COLOR]
BTW...I like your truck. There is just something brutally handsome about M809 series trucks.
[/QUOTE]

I totally agree the five tons and the deuces are just look tougher when there coming at u verses the 900s or the m35a3, but that's just me.

Whats funny is that I'm trying to keep this a secret from my extended family (they do not understand my love of big trucks with big tires) but some how my grandpa found out about it and says he wants a ride in it when he comes up next summer, hes former u.s. army Korea, so I'm super exited now.

Side notes
Dad did three tours in Viet-nam and mom was the the Secretary for the General how got all the accidental death reports at the pentagon from 75 to 79. Had an Uncle that was in Operation Desert Storm that would have loved to see it and ride in it (he died this past February, he love the army (tank teck) was in and stationed at Fort Hood).

indy4x4fab

Banned
M820 or m35a2 will be the tow home truck just in case its needed, and yes we are planning on bring that massive tow bar with us to tow the support truck home, and all our tools, gen, air compressor, supplies, and so on.

sandcobra164

Congrats on continuing to feed your appetite for Big Green Iron. I believe those feet are for 1 1/2" pins and I don't think you can get them onto your truck. I have seen feet that will work for that have the 1" pins you'll need. I know a 1" pin can fit into a 1 1/2" hole. The 1 1/2" end is too thick to line up the holes. I'd try and see if you can fit them onto your M35 or M820's towing points before I loaded that heavy beast up.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on continuing to feed your appetite for Big Green Iron. I believe those feet are for 1 1/2" pins and I don't think you can get them onto your truck. I have seen feet that will work for that have the 1" pins you'll need. I know a 1" pin can fit into a 1 1/2" hole. The 1 1/2" end is too thick to line up the holes. I'd try and see if you can fit them onto your M35 or M820's towing points before I loaded that heavy beast up.

He has the correct adaptor feet to use the big towbar like the ones in the pictures

He is lucky to have found a pair!

I had 4 sets of them at one time, but now im back down to only 2 sets..

Attachments

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well Christmas was fun, the kids and my wife, more the wife then the kids, any how they got me a spare tire for the 818 all me and k5jeremy had to do was mount it on the fmtv rim I picked up. Here's a couple pictures of it with the kids. One down six more to rim in the spring when we go back up to preacherboy's to get the truck and bring it home.

First is my 5 year old and seconds my 5 and 2 year old, they just turned two (dec. 24) and five (dec.29), it was a busy new year and Christmas.

Attachments

Last edited:

Preacherboy

I haven't heard, have you made it back yet?

It was a cool site seeing them leave out of here Saturday evening with everything hooked up and loaded up...wife took a couple of pictures, maybe I can get them posted eventually.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Here's a few pictures I took Saturday morning. We end up doing a little drifting with the two trucks hook to gather on the way in to Tim's house for the night. Tim kept it out of the grass and everything just happen to hit a patch of black ice as we came around a corner from a dead stop, too. Tim did an all-some job keeping every thing under control and keeping both trucks out of the grass and tree line. If we never drift in a five ton again I'll be more then happy. we hit freezing rain, rain, snow, blizzard, and a white out all in a ten mile run. Mother nature was throwing everything she had at use and we still made it home safe. A huge thanks to Tim for all his help and I most defiantly owe him a "You Call I'll Haul" for all he did to help me out this weekend, Started at 6 am Saturday morning and finished up midnight Saturday night.

I'll add more pictures of the truck tomorrow after i get them off the camera.

first ones of tims truck at the truck stop dearing a restroom brake.
second is after we had loaded the tires and where getting ready to leave preacherboys place.

That freaken tank tow bar we use to tow that my truck home with is NOT a ONE MAN tow bar unless you have a hylift jack handy. A big thanks to josh for helping guide tim back to the tow bar, I was bear hugging that thing and doing my best to put what little bit of beer gut I had under that thing just to hold it up while tim back under it.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks