• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

planning my m818 recovery

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you go though your fuel system with a fine tooth comb. Air leaks were 90 percent of my problems with the 814.:jumpin::mrgreen:

indy4x4fab

Banned
An up date truck gets delivered saturday to the museum and if everything goes well I will have her up and running buy the end of the day, and if everything goes well maybe even super singled. MAYBE.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well finally got her home and up and running but still have a few problems to sort out. I'm lacking power on the top end and she won't go over 45 mph. So I'm thinking I need to do a valve and injector adjustment check. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/73256-nhc250-valve-injector-overhead-adjusting.html I also got he 16r20 mounted and on the truck (mrs._indy helped with taking the lug nuts off for me), humvee springer seats mounted in the truck (mrs._indy helped with that), all fuel line cleaned and the rubber hoses replaced, checked all fluids, cleaned the fuel lines, cleaned and cleared the fuel priming and cold start lines and nozzel, cleaned and cleared the windsheald washer nozzel, remounted the freshly cleaned fuel tanks, did away with the fuel tank selector valve, and replaced it with a electric pump to pump fuel from the passenger side tank to the driver side tank, mounted the second storage box on top the first one, added mud flaps to it, switched to ALL spin on filters, re-installed the front and rear drive shafts, and changed out the three paddle headlight switch for my new digital head light switch.

Still need to wire up the transfer pump, replace my rear air hoses, move the spare tire carrier inward to except the 16-20 spare tire, add my lower front shackle mounts below the front bumper, add my dome light, fix the passenger side door handle and aliment, add my spot lights, add my front spot lights add, my front off road lights, fix the high/low beams, put a parking brake light in the dash, replace the low air buzzer with a flashing red light, put the front winch and pto on, install the rear tow bar cradles for the tank tow bar behind the tire carrier and tool boxes, and wash her down then begins the work on the m129a2c supper camper trailer.

Here's a few pictures of me and the truck that mrs._indy4x4fab took while she enjoyed her weekend with out kids.

Attachments

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Nice 818. I don know what I like more, the truck, garage or land to play on.
The shops actaully a buddy of mines, but I did do the lighting work in the shop.:)

Gonna post some pictures with the 16r20's on the truck?
Yep and one better I'm going to put a video up, or two. Thinking walk around plus ride along.

You're gettin' it whipped into shape Nick ! I'll look forward to seeing it at Haspin ! :beer:
Augie can you give me a cal later on tonight? 317 522 6608 thanks.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well all the injectors and valves are set SPOT ON (grrrrrrrr) let it sit and run for two hours while we worked on it last night and the engines main problem I think it that it just needs to run and run and run some more. Still no power on the top end but it ideas on its own now with out the throttle lock being set. Got the new digital head light switch put in, tow bar cradles are mounted with tow bar headled furmly in place now (that thing is a real ball buster for one guy to handle), also added my lower front shackles last night, and front axle air over ride switch.

Here's a few pictures of the updated add ons. k5jeremy came and helped out with all the work, he has a much steadier hand with the cut off wheel.

Only had one tire leak down in the four days It sat. The tank tow bar doesn't look so big strapped to the back of the truck now.

Attachments

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Indy have you added any injector cleaner? just a thought.....
I'm diggin' on your big tires and modifications! :drool:
Ur close auggie. I had John up at the mil. museum take a ride with me in it and after a 3 mile trip or ride in it he says it has a plugged up injector, and the reason y its so hard to hear it at idle is because they or it is only slightly plugged up it is feeding enough fuel to make it idle but not enough to give it the power it needs at full power. So I'll put in a call in a call to cummis, docfarmall, and Injetion of Indianapolis, and see how has the best price on 6 new injectors, but more then likely the injectors will have to wait till after the spring rally. Have a few bills to take care of first.

Did give it a good woork out sunday tho. Pulled an rv 15 mins north to a friends cussens house then pull a 1947 international school bus back to the farm, got a free tank of fuel out of the deal. Also ran a hole bottle of 911 diesel fuel treatment threw it, hoping that that would clear the plugged injector or injectors. Truck had lots of power in low range and also in high range but just wouldn't hold 5th gear high range.

Here's a few pictures.

Never went over 35 mph and also had towing lights, tow bar and the chain binder feet for the tow bar as well. As well as lead car and support truck with tools filters and fluids just in case. Used US highways and back roads. Stopped a couple times to keep checking to make sure everything was ok and never had a single problem.

Attachments

augiedoggy

Nick, I got 6 new injectors from TNJ Murray
Try using a non contact temp probe to compare exhaust manifold temps
at the cylinders. note that cyls 1 and 6 will be cooler by nature.
this may help locate one offending injector rather than replace all 6......maybe.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Auggie, I have a call in to will to see if a trick i usally do to clean the ip on my 6.2s will work with the 250 cummins, where I fill the the fuel filter up with diesel kleen and then start it and let the engine idle it threw the system. I usually works great in the 6.2s, and I have a buddy that has one of those lazer pointer heat or temp reading guns. I'll see if he will lone it to me for a weekend or a day.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Took the girls out for a small ride around the block last night. Took the oldest (Anny) and with ear muffs on, I took her up and around the block so she could get a full feel for the truck. nothing but smiles the hole way. When we got back I asked her what she thought and she said, "I'll love going off roading with you as long as we have thses ear muffs, they make it so much nice to ride in your truck cause its sooooo loud". I couldn't help but laugh. Then we came back and I took my youngest (Helen) and took her out for a ride just up and down the street, she wanted no part of the hole ear muffs on her head. So I ran the truck in low gear fifth and kept the rpm's at 1000 so it wouldn't be so loud one and two so it wouldn't be so bumpy ether. And YES EVERY BODY WARE SEAT BELTS. I won't release the parking brake till every bodies buckled up.

Here's a few pictures of the trip, look closely and you will see the pacifier in Helen's mouth threw the glass window.

I will say this much the heater sure dose work well.

Attachments

Last edited:

andytk5

Indy - Cool man, look forward to that thread! And I thought an M109 camper idea was cool.. That will be the cat's pajamas!

indy4x4fab

Banned
Thanks to carnac here's some info on it.

Nomenclature:
Model: TRUCK TRACTOR 5-TON
NSN: M818
Serial Number: 2320000508984
Registration Number: C12413379 5A06871
Year of Mfg: 1971
Sep 2005 info: It appears it was at one point with B Company 158th Aviation Regiment out of Camp Marby Tx

Its a long way from home now. B Company 158th Aviation Regiment flies CH-47 Chinook helicopters.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Well finally got the new injector put and a very big thanks to Will Wagner for all his help. Here's a video of a short fun down the high way to see what kinda power difference there was after she was finally able to fire on all six cylinders. She can cruise 60 mph all day long.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsbLlXU4iIQ[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks