• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PLGR on Ebay Canada ( AN/PSN-11 )

Wile E. Coyote

moleary

Happens, but it doesn't make it ok. I doubt anyone will ever actually get popped for having it, but surely if someone in recovery saw that post they would be raising a flag. Each of those items is serialized - if it still belongs to the military then I wouldn't want to spend money on it.

Wile E. Coyote

Its a sensitive item. Same thing as a rifle. CID will be contacting him. -Jay
Kind of closing the gate after the horse has bolted though as tons of PLGR and PLGR II have been sold already - even through GL and GSA - and some even from China. I can think of four PLGR auctions over the last year-plus...no CID interest...or they just don't keep regular tabs on the E-place. Don't really know which. Not sure what happens if you buy them from another country, either, as they each have their own demil codes and accountability systems in place. Dunno what Canada does.

(Bunch of tan PLGR and green PLGR went over to China in bins of scrap electronics thanks to local disposal before PM GPS put the word out they were all supposed to back to Rockwell irrespective of condition. Now the rules have changed a bit and they can locally dispose of early generation tan PLGR through DRMS - but green PLGR still goes to Rockwell for disposal. Ideally anyway. You just know the odd unit custodian is simply binning them as 'all this old junk'.)

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Im guessing CID dont follow stuff that that as through as we thought. :cookoo: kinda crazy lol . If its Canadian Military or was then the US would have no intrest in it. Guess its like giving M1114 up armours to the Iraqi's.- Jay

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They are watching , I have had them show up twice for items I got off Ebay. Usually months after the sale and all they say is too bad, it's ours and hand you a leaflet on how to take the seller to civil court to recoup you loss. You will know it's them when the dark crown vic with the small hub caps pulls up at your house.:(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you not notice that the eBay items for sale forums no longer exist?

papakb

I do know an individual in California who bought a PLGR off of eBay and was visited by CID folks who confiscated the GPS. The sad part about it is that as a GPS, the PLGR is difficult to operate, the display sucks and the battery life is surprisingly short. Even if it is the green variant.

I'd much rather have my old Trimpack going instead of the PLGR.

If you really want a GPS, buy a nice Garmin. Moving map displays are so much easier to follow and you won't get busted for owning it! :grin:

Stan Leschert

Up here they could not give a rat's anus, unless a proper loss report was filed. At that time the matcheads, MIGHT action the complaint, but only if sufficient leverage was applied. Not being an "A" class item, it gets low priority, unless a ranking officer has his butt in a sling for discrepancies in his "DA" holdings.

Last edited:

moleary

They are watching , I have had them show up twice for items I got off Ebay. Usually months after the sale and all they say is too bad, it's ours and hand you a leaflet on how to take the seller to civil court to recoup you loss. You will know it's them when the dark crown vic with the small hub caps pulls up at your house.:(
Mind sharing what they came and took back?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen other PLGRs for sale from a Canadian seller before. Can't recall if it's the same guy or not. I sent a PM out of curiosity asking him where it came from and the answer was some sort of "purchased locally" or at auction or something vague to that effect.

Wile E. Coyote

I have seen other PLGRs for sale from a Canadian seller before. Can't recall if it's the same guy or not. I sent a PM out of curiosity asking him where it came from and the answer was some sort of "purchased locally" or at auction or something vague to that effect.
He should go back for more then, because that one fetched $2650 on Ebay. Check it out --

PVS PLGR PEQ MILITARY GPS NAVIGATION SATELLITE SIGNALS - eBay (item 110499002335 end time Mar-05-10 15:50:28 PST)

They only cost Gov agencies $2250 through GSA when new. Craziness.

Papakb is right about the usefulness of PLGR when compared to something like a Garmin. Last PLGRs went $150-$350 in various places and for that you can get a decent Garmin GPSMap 60CSX (SirfStar chipset - cat's ass.) 'Course, it won't look as cool on the side of your HMMWV radio rack...

Buyer had deep pockets, judging by the other sorts of stuff he bid on, and was willing to go to any price. Met people like that. They buy hardtop HMMWVs as they would a pack of smokes or a drive-thru cheeseburger - but I love seeing their kit at airshows, so...win-win. :grin:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Right about now, those young fellows from "Christians in Drag" aka CID are running through their computers and preparing to load the suburban for a little house call. That is, if it was bought by a US customer.

Wile E. Coyote

PVS PLGR PEQ MILITARY GPS NAVIGATION SATELLITE SIGNALS - eBay (item 110505839767 end time Mar-21-10 16:43:24 PDT)

The Canadian ebay seller has either another one, or the first guy reneged. I see he's from Quebec too where at least one large rebuild depot and several large storage depots are located, so bets are he wound up with a box lot at some disposal sale likely described as "MISC SCRAP ELECTRONICS" as happens with GL.

My favourite was a huge lot of ex-SEAL PLGRII's that recently came out (black, waterproof, newest software) likely because the NSN didn't flag on the DRMS catalog system when they went to code it, seeing as they weren't procured in large numbers and don't have the same NSNs as tan PLGR or green PLGR already in the system as DEMIL D despite the fact they have the same spook chips to get P(Y) military code. Go figure. That was a couple years now and I haven't heard from or through any of the owners that DIA ever came knocking.

(I hope I haven't launched a fleet of black Tahoes with hockey puck antennas at anyone :)

Wile E. Coyote

So, turns out DIA is having some communication issues with DRMS and GL over some Ebay items. In summation:

1) DIA's position is that every PLGR is stolen because they were never supposed to be released. The End.
2) Through scrap sales and lot sales DRMS and GL released over a thousand. Over a thousand. Legally. You don't get to make mistakes in retrospect. Once the gavel comes down - it's sold. Too bad. Clean your house up *before* the relatives pay a visit.

Since nos. 1 and 2 can never be reconciled by the rational mind we have to fall back on that cornerstone of Western society, "Innocent until proven Guilty". My forefathers fought for that. Should be good enough for DIA. One guy selling a legally-acquired PLGR acquired through GL is even a veteran and is STILL getting hassled like some criminal by these people. Sorry. Not what I voted for...not what the vets fought for.

Wile E. Coyote

It really makes me mad that these people can wave the flag with one hand while trampling on citizens with both jackboots simultaneously. **** that. You make a mistake - you deal with it. Don't make it everyone else's problem.

Alredneck

Banned
Umm Gentleman, there is nothing sensitive about that now ancient gps device! In the days of old yes. Heck the new DAGGRs are nothing special. We did a test and civilian models are just as accurate as those in the military ( well maybe not the gps strapped to the nose of a warhead, or nuke, naw the nuke doesnt have to be accurate, do a search on old school nuke guidance, nowhere near what I would consider accurate). I own a Magelan Sporttrack Pro, ( 2 actually ) and used it during both tours in Iraq. Alot of our guys were also issued Garmin Etrecks ( may be misspelled ) during my last tour. Just like the Singars we talked about the other day, nothing super squirrel secret here! The only advantage a PLGR has over a civy model is interior shielding, meaning if our GPS jammers are on (yes the .GOV has this capability, among other countries ) then your civy model may have problems. In real world, even the military versions had problems.

ETHOS

I do know an individual in California who bought a PLGR off of eBay and was visited by CID folks who confiscated the GPS. The sad part about it is that as a GPS, the PLGR is difficult to operate, the display sucks and the battery life is surprisingly short. Even if it is the green variant.

I'd much rather have my old Trimpack going instead of the PLGR.

If you really want a GPS, buy a nice Garmin. Moving map displays are so much easier to follow and you won't get busted for owning it! :grin:

Bingo! we have a winner! those systems are sorely lacking, large, heavy, short battery life and have nothing on a modern commercially available unit

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks