• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW Info Thread!

BnaditCorps

You all are reminding me of a story our Mom told us when we were all kids.

She was a WII war bride; a French native living in Paris whom my father met at a Red Cross dance pressing through from Le Havre into Germany.

She lived in Paris throughout the 5 years of German Occupation. She didn't like talking about the war. But sometimes she did:

- Before the German Wehrmacht arrived in 1940, a Jewish family emigrating out of Poland moved into her building. They were apparently trying to get out of Europe to the U.S., but at the time Paris was as far as they could get.

- The Wehrmacht arrived, and things were not good but people talked to each other and did what they could for one another in spite of circumstances.

- The concierge in her building had a boyfriend who worked at the local police station of her arrondissement (her neighborhood). He warned the concierge that the Germans (the "Party" Germans my Mom called them, the Nazis), had discovered this family through records and meant to come "get" them that night (everything was done at night for terror effect apparently).

- So the boyfriend passes on the word, and the concierge herself passes on the warning to the family. The children got the word while at school and never came back to the apartment (whatever happened to them though she didn't say); and the father got the word at work and also stayed away that evening.

- The mother and grandmother though apparently came back to the apartment to try and grab things (clothes? furniture? mementos? I don't know). and while they were there the soldiers arrived. My mom talked about the sound of the jack boots on the stairway, and then the screams of the women.

- It is a horrible story.

- My mom never learned what happened to everyone in that family. The war was like that evidently, everybody doing the best they could for themselves and looking out for others when possible, but they were bad times; hard times.

They wanted their "things". Hard as it is; like TechnoWeenie says, sometimes dropping everything and just running is the best thing you can do for yourself.
Part of our fire entrapment training is dropping your gear, except hand tool and fire shelter, and running. Your life is much more valuable than anything you have. If the time comes you drop everything unnecessary and do what is needed to survive. You might go on to find the cure for cancer for all we know, that piece of furniture isn't going to do that.

srodocker

Haha Squirrel!

Anywho truck meet tomorrow at the cabelas in lacey @1pm

Meeting for lunch at hawks prarie resturant in lacey @11pm

Anyone can come truck or no truck!

Special T

I have it on good authority that there will be some military vehicles at the Arlington WA 4th of july parade. 2 half trax a M2 &M3. There may be other members of the Puget Sound Military Vehicle collectors club there as well. Normally Dale from Smileys machine shop brings out some toys. I dont think his half track will be ready by then.
Additionally Paul Allens war bid collection will be at the Arlington Fly in i belive it starts the 7th.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I have it on good authority that there will be some military vehicles at the Arlington WA 4th of july parade. 2 half trax a M2 &M3. There may be other members of the Puget Sound Military Vehicle collectors club there as well. Normally Dale from Smileys machine shop brings out some toys. I dont think his half track will be ready by then.
Additionally Paul Allens war bid collection will be at the Arlington Fly in i belive it starts the 7th.
Pics; any pics at all would be gratefully appreciated.

Please?

please.gif

Amer-team

There is a Military Appreciation evening at Allan York Park in Bonney Lake from 1700 - 2000 on July 6. A few of us will be doing a small display and have at this point, 3 vehicles coming. We are planning on being there no later than 1600.

Another Ahab

There is a Military Appreciation evening at Allan York Park in Bonney Lake from 1700 - 2000 on July 6. A few of us will be doing a small display and have at this point, 3 vehicles coming. We are planning on being there no later than 1600.
If you can squeeze off a pic or two that would be great. Please.

restlessrobie

HELLO all and well met just picked up an m211 and have already had some fun fixing the old truck. I am an auto mechanic by trade and a former Marine sniper. My old Duece will not be ready for any of the festivities this month but should be road ready within a few week. I look forward to meeting all of you as I get to know the ins and outs of owning a wonderful piece of military history.

Erik

1954 M211

Amer-team

Erik, if you are close to Centralia, you are certainly welcome to come down and meet some of the NW crew. Check the upcoming events for the full schedule. Good luck with that old rascal.

Another Ahab

HELLO all and well met just picked up an m211 and have already had some fun fixing the old truck. I am an auto mechanic by trade and a former Marine sniper. My old Duece will not be ready for any of the festivities this month but should be road ready within a few week. I look forward to meeting all of you as I get to know the ins and outs of owning a wonderful piece of military history.

Erik

1954 M211
You got to keep us posted, please, about that classic rig. I bet she's a beauty.

Welcome to you from here in Virginia.

restlessrobie

I will keep you guys updated and post pics in the future she gave me **** getting her home lost a front wheel bearing half way and had to tow her but she is at the homestead now and repairs are going well.

Erik

DinoShepherd

See you all at Cars and Coffee today at World of Speed in Wilsonville.

Its mostly a sports car thing, so I am going to try my hardest not to run over a Ferarri or something.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks