• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Polishing gauge faces

I've been working on removing years of paint off my gauges and was wondering has anyone polished the lens on the gauges. I have noticed the lens are plastic which I discovered when I put paint remover on the metal edges. I know you can use rubbing compound but not sure what grit

BillIdaho

Go to the local China-Mart, and buy a bottle of "Swirl remover". It is right next to the automotive car wax. A couple of dollars. (Do not use rubbing compound, as it is too abrasive.) Then get your cordless with a small buffing wheel. SLOW IS GOOD. FAST IS VERY BAD!!!!!!! Slowly with a liberal amount of swirl remover, polish the gauges up. Again, keep the wheel slow. Do NOT press down hard, and take your time. It takes only a few minutes to get them looking like new.
Upon completion, wax with a rag with a dab of furniture polish.