• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

rnd-motorsports

To me $15 is well worth the time and money to replace something that was put in because its worked! Not because it was made to do the job! the factory part is really a ac relay and as any relay you put more of a load threw it then it was really meant to handle . Its not if it will fail but when!!! and with the application its not just the relay that needs replaced when it fails its the big dollar 24 volt starter! Any that I drive gets the conversion as a norm prep when I get it ! [thumbzup]

Jersey4x4

Just wondering why you keep calling this the doghead mod? It is in the latest TM for the CUCV and there is even a part number to buy the correct 12/24 relay from trombetta. Remember this uses 12v t close the relay and has 24v passing through it. Also this mod was only used when installing the HMMWV starter in the CUCV according to the tm The stock direct drive starter solenoid did not have any effect on the oem relay or the replacements which are only made by AC Delco and available for about 19.00 at a parts store or gm dealer.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you copy and post the info you reference? Do you have a TM # and version #?

Never seen this in a TM.

rod

Just wondering why you keep calling this the doghead mod? It is in the latest TM for the CUCV and there is even a part number to buy the correct 12/24 relay from trombetta. Remember this uses 12v t close the relay and has 24v passing through it. Also this mod was only used when installing the HMMWV starter in the CUCV according to the tm The stock direct drive starter solenoid did not have any effect on the oem relay or the replacements which are only made by AC Delco and available for about 19.00 at a parts store or gm dealer.

I also would like to see the reference in the TM's for the CUCVs. Not saying it's not there but I'd be hard pressed to believe that the original CUCV TM's from the mid 80s would show a Trombetta part number for the relay and the mod directions.

Why do they call it the Doghead Mod? Cause he is the one which sat down, figured out that there was a problem & what he could do to resolve the problem. He is the one who came up with the mod and shared it with us.

DIESELGREEN

I did it on my 1008 the day after I got it. Don't have to worry about having to jump out of the truck and try to get the battery cables loose when the starter tries to run away. Excellent and easy-to-do upgrade, adds huge peace-of-mind and confidence.

OL AG '89

Never seen this in a TM.
Doghead,

I found the following in TM 9-2320-289-20 change 2 page 2-75. It mentions the change in the relay after the date listed but makes no mention to part numbers as in post.

42.1. STARTER STAYS ENGAGED
NOTE
Original starter relays on vehicles prior to July 1985 production were
defective. The point gap inside was too small causing starter to stay
engaged. Vehicles produced after July 1985 and the current starter relay in

supply system have a wider point gap to correct this problem.

Perform
Electrical Troubleshooting malfunction #42. (See wiring diagram F-1 or F-2)

Replace relay.

No mention of part numbers....​

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Never seen this in a TM.
*** EDIT ****
Beat me to it. I got interupted by my job.....LOL

I have a copy of a corrected TM 9-2320-289-20 manual. Dated 20 Jan, 1988

There is a notation in the trouble shooting section that mentions the relay. It just says the early relays where defective and to use the new ones. Same style just updated design.

I don't think this is justified as the Doghead Starter Relay Upgrade.

Chapter 2, Section 42.1

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that it matters much but whatever the update after 85 was, it doesn't work. My 86 just recently had the same issue. Upgraded relays, all is well.

OL AG '89

*** EDIT ****
Beat me to it. I got interupted by my job.....LOL

I have a copy of a corrected TM 9-2320-289-20 manual. Dated 20 Jan, 1988

There us a notation in the trouble shooting section that mentions the relay. It just says the early relays where defective and to use the new ones. Same style just updated design.

I don't think this is justified as the Doghead Starter Relay Upgrade.

Chapter 2, Section 42.1

##### Joe, I sat on the answer as long as I could then had to publish....#####

LOL

I give credit to Doghead, he is alll knowing...... o.k. at least he probably fried a couple of sacrificial relays before deeming the relay chosen as a replacement, and for that I say THANKS!!!!

I also don't play with electrical issues as the magic smoke release tends to p*ss me off!!!!

Sarge29

I have not done it yet. It seems to keep getting pushed down the priority list but it is going to have to happen soon before it bites me.

boondock

After a 'cheap thrill' of the relay sticking & a mad dash to disconnect the battery cables before a meltdown occurred I made the conversion.

The conversion works well & I highly recommend it to avoid possible future complications & costs.

Jersey4x4

I have a TM from 2002 I think but it is a paper copy. I do have a couple of the Commercial kits here in stock. When I can a chance I can scan and post the sheet that came in the kit. Trombetta apparently made a few kits for mil vehicles because they are the company that the NSN for the Glow plug relay comes back to via cage code and they also made a interlock kit for Amertek fire trucks which had a drive away problem. I will post this as soon as I can.

Never seen this in a TM.

homegrown

when i purchased the truck from the Fire Dept they said it had a starter problem.. The doghead relay conversion fixed the so called "starter problem"

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I did mine last night out of sheer necessity, my stock part laid down Monday morning. I got lucky and had no damage, just had a starter that would not disengage! (bit of a "brown pants" moment for me). The mod was SO easy and straightforward that I don't know why I had not already done it, and I will not own another CUCV without it! I know several other CUCV in my area and I suspect their owners will also be doing it very soon based on my experience.

THANKS!!!

ryan77

I just did my blazer and I will be doing the m2028a2 after I replace the whole dash harness the jethro and bubba butchered!!!

ABN173

Hmmm my answer is not listed in the poll: I plan on doing this mod, but only when/if it is needed. Currently I am going with "if it's not broken don't fix it". I've been lucky so far but perhaps when I get back from my next deployment.

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks