• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poll - Who has done the Doghead Relay Conversion

Start Relay Conversion/Upgrade

• Yes - I have done the conversion

Votes: 328 60.6%
  • No - I don't plan on doing the conversion

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No - I haven't done it but plan on doing it soon.

Votes: 162 29.9%

• Total voters

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M2028A2? Is that the new and improved model?

Just messing with ya.........:p

jets1959

Hmmm my answer is not listed in the poll: I plan on doing this mod, but only when/if it is needed. Currently I am going with "if it's not broken don't fix it". I've been lucky so far but perhaps when I get back from my next deployment.

-Dale
$14 relay $100 Starter I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!! It only takes about 30 minutes and you still need to drop by and check out my M1031:grd::deadhorse::D

ABN173

$14 relay $100 Starter I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!! It only takes about 30 minutes and you still need to drop by and check out my M1031:grd::deadhorse::D
I'm on leave this week so just name a time/place. I'm sure we could twist Scott's arm, but fair warning if we do that by the time he is done it will be a mini-rally.

-Dale

jets1959

I don't normally get home until after 5:30PM and you are both going to the rally this week end. If you want to stop by Today or tomorrow you are more than welcome!!!!!! I will PM my address.:beer:

Midnight Rider

I bought the listed relay, first from NAPA for about $20 then found the same relay at O'Reilys in their lawn mower section for $8. Same numbers and manufacturer.

I have done the relay deal on My M1031 and the M1009. I have to do it on two more M1009s.

I think it is a good upgrade in that you avoid burning up a less capable relay that may cause issues. As pointed out, it is important to note that this will not solve other wiring problems so you need to hash them out for sure!
I just bought this last week from O'Reilys. It is the same part and it is cheaper than the NAPA one. Save yourself even more money by buying ir from O'Reilys.

They didn't have a lawn mower section, I just looked where the relays were at and found it. It did have the same part number. I also think it said Trombata or whatever someone else had posted about earlier.

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I do have it now.

steved454

Doghead relay was the first mod I did to my truck, was cheap and easy to do. It gave me alot of confidence to do alot of work on my truck. It is a great confidence builder. thanks again Doghead!

truck1

I just completed the "Doghead" on my 1028, and it fired right up!Very simple upgrade,and I like the snap it makes when the relay receives voltage.If it saves a future starter replacement or worse, it is cheap insurance.Thanks Doghead!:beer:

bkwudzhom

It was the second thing I did to my M1008. First was to drill out the broken starter bolt and add the bracket!!

jets1959

Hmmm my answer is not listed in the poll: I plan on doing this mod, but only when/if it is needed. Currently I am going with "if it's not broken don't fix it". I've been lucky so far but perhaps when I get back from my next deployment.

-Dale
Finally glad to meet you in person at Aaron's. When you are ready to do this mod or need any help with your M1008 Give me a shout!!!!!!!!:beer:

txmytx_catahoula

Finally did the conversion on my m1009 yesterday. Did I NEED to to it? The OEM relay looked like it had been replaced recently, but I've experience several of the CUCV specific hiccups, so why take a chance on this relay. I've battle the swollen glow plugs, watched the resistor pack smoke, replace a faulty glow plug relay, cleaned what is electric and continue to replace what is rubber. I've even crowned it with a motor replacement caused by the 6.2 crank snap. A $13-15 part(and 30 min. worth of work) is WELL worth the agony of replacing everything that might be damage by a stuck starter!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With all the Newbies and CUCV starter issues lately, it time to bump this thread to the top.

Buzz

after I read about it on this site it was the first thing I did. the instructions was very simple to follow and the parts were easy to get. Thanks Doghead! now I have one less thing to worry about.[thumbzup]

skark_burmer

i did my 1009 when i installed new batteries and the motor started turning as i connected the leads.
Exciting!

Ever since then i do the mod before installing batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks