• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor halftrack

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what the contraption on the back is? Attached or just sitting on it?
Probably a set up for portable sawmill. I was going to say the background looked like Idaho until I saw the OPs location. Parts of Oregon also look like parts of Idaho.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I'll restore it someday". No you won't you inbred hick. It will disolve into the dirt until it's WORTHLESS, and when you die your family who curse your name for being a royal PITA pack-rat all your life, will bring a roll-back dumpster to your place after your funeral and sell your "priceless" heirlooms for scrap value, when someone who honestly wanted to save it for future generations to enjoy could've saved it NOW.

I hate owners like this. It's a disease, trust me, I know have a couple friends like this and arguing logic with them is a waste of time and my patience.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I'll restore it someday". No you won't you inbred hick.
"Inbred hick" because they live in the mountains and log for a living? While I disagree with leaving it in it's present condition and have had to deal with the "I'll restore it some day crowd," don't let east coast snobbery taint your judgment of hard working people. Most of my family has been in the logging business at one time or another.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody said the current owner is a "I'll restore it someday" type. Maybe for them its just a heirloom with a story that has a very practical function as well. They enjoy it and use it so why sell it?

My late brother was like that. He inherited an over a century old cylinder desk (American desk, whatever you want call it) and was very happy with it. When we saw it again, it was completely messed up. The little drawers and sorting places on top fitted perfect on his wife's working table for papers. The wooden desk itself was sturdy and strong so a perfect working surface to dismantle 2CV engine blocks, with the spare parts in the drawers. The roll cover nobody needed so he threw it away!!! He was not interested in the historical value but it was a good looking strong thing with a very practical function and value for him. End of discussion*.

* Off course all of us siblings vetoed him getting any antiques next time a family member died.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nobody said the current owner is a "I'll restore it someday" type. Maybe for them its just a heirloom with a story that has a very practical function as well. They enjoy it and use it so why sell it?
Sorry, I was ranting again. It just seemed the right thread to do it in. :)

battlecr

The owner has no plans to restore it but it has been in his family since they bought it. It was used by them to make a living. If I had the bucks and the time I would restore her just as she is. A monument to the ingenuity of the American Logger and Farmers!

I have an M2 that had a yarder on it that was completely trashed by the loggers All it was good for is parts.

Don G.

Heath_h49008

I have a lot of family like this. They will sit back and watch something rot into the ground before they finally scrap it, but if someone ever said "You want to sell that?" it's some kind of monument to granddads middle years.

A: If it's that important, build a museum for it.
B: If it isn't, then at least get some money for it.

The satisfaction they get from waving their hands and talking about how they told so-and-so who really wanted it to go to blazes is all they need. The value isn't in the item, it's in the joy of knowing they have something someone else wanted once.

Just a dog in a manger...

DIndFab

I've offered to restore an old jeep for someone before that has been sitting in his barn for years. I was going to pay for new tires myself just to be able to drive it to shows. He said he wouldn't want to drive it anywhere.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's humans for you alright. :cookoo:

:carnac: In the end, it is almost never about the money but all about emotions, the good ones (proud memories, love, honor) and the bad one's that make people little like spite, greed (still not about money), envy.

Flyingvan911

I think it needs a little derusting and some paint. A treasured family heirloom is no good if it rust to the ground. Personaly I'd sell it to someone who would restore it. I know my family would rather see something fixed up and maintained than allow it to rust to bits.

Another Ahab

"I'll restore it someday". No you won't you inbred hick. It will disolve into the dirt until it's WORTHLESS, and when you die your family who curse your name for being a royal PITA pack-rat all your life, will bring a roll-back dumpster to your place after your funeral and sell your "priceless" heirlooms for scrap value, when someone who honestly wanted to save it for future generations to enjoy could've saved it NOW.

I hate owners like this. It's a disease, trust me, I know have a couple friends like this and arguing logic with them is a waste of time and my patience.
Not always pretty, but sooner or later (no matter how well restored), it's the way of all "flesh" (even the metallic kind):

- Ashes to Ashes; Dust to Dust

As it was in the Beginning, is Now, and ever shall Be. So Long!

ashes-to-ashes.jpg

trukhead

I have lived that hoarders life style and live it with my family. I now have gone through a catharsis. I now am actively selling everything and will let it go if I can at least break even on the object. Lucky for me most of the stuff has value and is in somewhat of a demand.
I just love selling something and running my hands through all that luscious happy green smelling paper with pictures of dead presidents on it!! I decided I want to save up for something shiny and new.
Anybody want to buy some HO gauge Akane brass locomotives to create the WWII transport of goods during wartime operations?

Another Ahab

I have lived that hoarders life style and live it with my family. I now have gone through a catharsis. I now am actively selling everything and will let it go if I can at least break even on the object. Lucky for me most of the stuff has value and is in somewhat of a demand.
I just love selling something and running my hands through all that luscious happy green smelling paper with pictures of dead presidents on it!! I decided I want to save up for something shiny and new.
Anybody want to buy some HO gauge Akane brass locomotives to create the WWII transport of goods during wartime operations?
Camera.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks