• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poor halftrack

steve1973

I found it and when I asked the owner if he would sell it right off he said I could never afford it. He must think it is gold plated or something. It looked like there was a fire under the dash at some point. Oh well, It does have some nice parts on it though.

Steve A.

whiskey357

Banned
Howdy and waste of a good halftrack....found on land in NV near Reno....all there but not moveing ....sat at back of ranch land ....what a waste of a good haltrack.....The owner wont sell.....Will come in useful someday...AS A PAPERWEIGHT dumb hick...

trukhead

I have lived that hoarders life style and live it with my family. I now have gone through a catharsis. I now am actively selling everything and will let it go if I can at least break even on the object. Lucky for me most of the stuff has value and is in somewhat of a demand.
I just love selling something and running my hands through all that luscious happy green smelling paper with pictures of dead presidents on it!! I decided I want to save up for something shiny and new.
Anybody want to buy some HO gauge Akane brass locomotives to create the WWII transport of goods during wartime operations?
Railroad forum?

Attachments

Pugsley

I might be interested in the Geeps. :roll: Unfortunately, alot of that older brass used to be worth something, but with the newer plastic reproductions having better drive trains and detail they have drove down the value of the brass. Now if you have stuff that hasn't been reproduced and you find that someone that is looking for that exact model then you might be able to get a few hundred out of it.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What better way to preserve a family heirloom than to sell it to somebody that has at least a chance to make it back into what it was in its better days. When you sell it make a deal with the new owner that your family name be put on it when the restoration is complete. By looking at it sitting here there is almost no chance of it ever moving again, at least that is till the metal scrapper comes to pick it up! SAD!
KK

datadawg

"I'll restore it someday". No you won't you inbred hick. It will disolve into the dirt until it's WORTHLESS, and when you die your family who curse your name for being a royal PITA pack-rat all your life, will bring a roll-back dumpster to your place after your funeral and sell your "priceless" heirlooms for scrap value, when someone who honestly wanted to save it for future generations to enjoy could've saved it NOW.

I hate owners like this. It's a disease, trust me, I know have a couple friends like this and arguing logic with them is a waste of time and my patience.
Nicely said! In my experience, it's far more effective to go back door through wife or kids who probably are sick of looking at rusted iron and will start drilling the owner to let it go. But that involves a lengthy road, patience, and unknown payoff -- few of us can deal with the process...

Another Ahab

Nicely said! In my experience, it's far more effective to go back door through wife or kids who probably are sick of looking at rusted iron and will start drilling the owner to let it go. But that involves a lengthy road, patience, and unknown payoff -- few of us can deal with the process...

Patience.jpg

woodwalker

Howdy and waste of a good halftrack....found on land in NV near Reno....all there but not moveing ....sat at back of ranch land ....what a waste of a good haltrack.....The owner wont sell.....Will come in useful someday...AS A PAPERWEIGHT dumb hick...

I find it amazing you see something on someone else's property and then get upset when they won't sell it to you.
How do you know what it means to them? Could I go into your house and demand you sell me your grandfather's shotgun because you don't use it?
Are you offering him a good price or are you offering him a low ball offer to help yourself?
Just remember most of these "stupid hicks" run there own business that can and do run into hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and built by them and their family by hard work and good market knowledge.
And are under no obligation to sell you or anyone anything they own.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Woodwalker, I think it's more then just "the guy won't sell it to ME". I would say most of the members on here just want to see history saved, not make a quick buck by low balling the guy. But at the same time so many people watch Barrett Jackson or other big time auction sites and think their rusted out vehicle is worth at least half of what the pristine vehicles are bringing. They don't realize how much money (as I'm sure you know having a M2A1) goes into saving them when you do the work yourself, much less having to pay someone else. I'm a big history person and am saddened by how much history has gone the scrap route and is gone forever. One example I have here is an original iron ore wagon frame form the 1800s. As far as we know is the only one remaining from whole county, and possibly the country since I haven't found pictures anywhere of another one with solid iron wheels. I make sure everyone in the family knows and understands what it is, to make sure it doesn't go the scrap route. Now I mention this because, most here have seen the same thing happen to items like this halftrack. The kids don't really know or care what it is and after the father passes away it will be scrapped or rust away completely. Yes that is their choice, but I hate to see things like that happen because sooner or later they will all be gone forever.

Now Woodwalker is correct about the "stupid hicks" comment, I understand ranting and how you feel sometimes. But come on guys, we are better then this on here and need to stay away from using comments like that. (Not all of us have a Walmart in our town, or a stop light LOL) With that I'll step back.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Woodwalker, I think it's more then just "the guy won't sell it to ME". I'm a big history person and am saddened by how much history has gone the scrap route and is gone forever. One example I have here is an original iron ore wagon frame form the 1800s. As far as we know is the only one remaining from whole county, and possibly the country since I haven't found pictures anywhere of another one with solid iron wheels.
Hey Al Harvey, sure am hoping you'll consider posting a picture of that in "The Mess Hall":

- Would love to check that out.

Another Ahab

A friend found a halftrack with a crane. He only wanted the halftrack but I couldn't let the crane go to scrap. so it came home! It s a WW2 Quickway crane. I'm looking for any info I can get on a it.

Don G.
Very nice item, battlcr:

- Hope you'll consider a stand-alone thread for it (it deserves the spotlight!)

Was that crane/ half-track combination an original piece of G.I. equipment?

battlecr

Very nice item, battlcr:

- Hope you'll consider a stand-alone thread for it (it deserves the spotlight!)

Was that crane/ half-track combination an original piece of G.I. equipment?
No the crane was mounted on a Brockaway 666 or Coleman truck, IH M-5-1, even seen them mounted on an M-34

Don G.