• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poor quality lift pumps, any good ones still being made?

jsgmdiesel

Hey guys, I have an Airtex E8153 on my M1028. I removed the mechanical pump when I installed a Banks turbo. My issue is the lift pump quit after a month. When it was working you can here it building pressure before starting. One day it just quit pumping. Truck runs but it blows white smoke. So I returned 1st lift pump and replaced it with the 2nd one same part#. Worked excellent for a month then one day turned on the key and no lift pump noise. I am running an inline filter between lift pump and tank. Pump is mounted on framerail where the a rubber hose was previously. I checked all wiring connections after the 2nd one quit, found no wiring problems. Can anyone recommend a quality lift pump that will last? Is quality that bad with all brands? I thought about a GM one but the one I found has a wire that goes to the oil pressure sender and only pumps with oil pressure. I want it on every time I have the key on to aid in bleeding filter changes. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

U1100L

Same scenario on my m1031. I don't have much confidence in the Airtex either so,running a set of gauges at the filter assy (running 7-12psi after the filter) to keep an eye on it. Got a small Fass lift pump on the Dodge since '99 (Can't remember the model #) but it is 22psi after the filter it will start messing with the advance. Just noticed Fass has one with an regulator now. Either way they are great pumps! $300.00 compared to around $40.00 and how much can be crammed down that 1/4'' line anyway?
If 5 pounds of sugar is sweet 10 pounds of sugar is twice as sweet.. Right?

As I think about it the Fass did give me problems only with the relays (7yrs ago) so a good set of relays and circuit breaker went in the 1031. 4000 miles later and still tickin'

MarcusOReallyus

I just looked up the Fass pumps. Some were around $250 on eBay.

There's got to be a decent electric pump that's not hundreds of bucks!

Anybody?

jsgmdiesel

I ended up getting the GM factory acdelco lift pump for a late 80s/early 90s 6.2/6.5 diesel, it was $63 on Amazon. Installed it today and it sounds like it pumps harder and faster than the previous Airtex. Also made in the USA. We'll see how long this one lasts. At least I know its for a 6.2

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this scares me. I just installed the Airtex pump on my M1028 as well, but it's only been on there a week. I still have the mechanical pump as well, so they're both pushing fuel when the truck is running. I tested the make sure the truck would still run with the Airtex turned off, and it does, so it's at least partially flow-thru designed. Maybe mine will last longer if I only use it for priming and easier starting?