• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poor quality lift pumps, any good ones still being made?

jsgmdiesel

Hey guys, I have an Airtex E8153 on my M1028. I removed the mechanical pump when I installed a Banks turbo. My issue is the lift pump quit after a month. When it was working you can here it building pressure before starting. One day it just quit pumping. Truck runs but it blows white smoke. So I returned 1st lift pump and replaced it with the 2nd one same part#. Worked excellent for a month then one day turned on the key and no lift pump noise. I am running an inline filter between lift pump and tank. Pump is mounted on framerail where the a rubber hose was previously. I checked all wiring connections after the 2nd one quit, found no wiring problems. Can anyone recommend a quality lift pump that will last? Is quality that bad with all brands? I thought about a GM one but the one I found has a wire that goes to the oil pressure sender and only pumps with oil pressure. I want it on every time I have the key on to aid in bleeding filter changes. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

U1100L

Same scenario on my m1031. I don't have much confidence in the Airtex either so,running a set of gauges at the filter assy (running 7-12psi after the filter) to keep an eye on it. Got a small Fass lift pump on the Dodge since '99 (Can't remember the model #) but it is 22psi after the filter it will start messing with the advance. Just noticed Fass has one with an regulator now. Either way they are great pumps! $300.00 compared to around $40.00 and how much can be crammed down that 1/4'' line anyway?
If 5 pounds of sugar is sweet 10 pounds of sugar is twice as sweet.. Right?

As I think about it the Fass did give me problems only with the relays (7yrs ago) so a good set of relays and circuit breaker went in the 1031. 4000 miles later and still tickin'

MarcusOReallyus

I just looked up the Fass pumps. Some were around $250 on eBay.

There's got to be a decent electric pump that's not hundreds of bucks!

Anybody?

jsgmdiesel

I ended up getting the GM factory acdelco lift pump for a late 80s/early 90s 6.2/6.5 diesel, it was $63 on Amazon. Installed it today and it sounds like it pumps harder and faster than the previous Airtex. Also made in the USA. We'll see how long this one lasts. At least I know its for a 6.2

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this scares me. I just installed the Airtex pump on my M1028 as well, but it's only been on there a week. I still have the mechanical pump as well, so they're both pushing fuel when the truck is running. I tested the make sure the truck would still run with the Airtex turned off, and it does, so it's at least partially flow-thru designed. Maybe mine will last longer if I only use it for priming and easier starting?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks