• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Poping sound when turning

cbvet

Are you driving over some bubble wrap?:grin:
Seriously, you need to give a little more info. There are guys on here that know everything.
Where does it sound like the popping is coming from? Front, back, left, right, under the hood, transmission? Does it only happen when you're sitting still? Or going forward or backward?

91W350

If you are twisting the chassis a little, does not take much, the bed will shift on the frame rails. That is usually a one time pop for each change of direction. That is what ratat98's truck does and all five of my current deuces do that as well. Jay's M35A3 did it too when we drove it out into the lot, off the edge of the blacktop. That is a normal noise.

If you are getting a repeated popping as you turn, you probably have a front bearing, front axle or front wheel issue. If it continues as it rolls, it is not good news. Glen

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If it is coming from the rear its probably the axles shifting on the leaf springs and that's normal.
I'd bet this is it. Get someone to drive it slowly while you walk beside the rear tandems. You should hear it and recognize it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Check the rear trunnion, had this noise BAD on Jim Hendersons deuce, we thought something was broke in the left rear, axle or something, could not find anything, checked everything on the right just for grins, found the that the right trunnion bearings were loose, adjusted according to the TM, noise GONE, by the way the trunnion bearings nuts use the SAME socket as the hub nuts.

WHILE at it, when was last time you greased the trunnion, no need to loosen the cap, when you see grease come out the REAR seal, it is FULL of grease

NOTE---SPELL CHECK is not all knowing, SSIU

Last edited:

Zack

The sound seems to be coming from the front.. The bearings are good. I does it on road or off. just a one time pop not several. i know its not the front axle. drive shaft is out currently. i will try having someone drive it while i walk beside it and see if i can pin point.. thanks for all the replies got some good info and a few more things to check.

dittle

Mine will make a popping noise when I have a big load on it, but I think its just the bed shifting on the frame. Sounds like you might have something mechanical that needs to be investigated if its coming from the front end.

91W350

Check the spring mounts, lift the truck by the frame or front bumper and check for movement in the mount and spring eyes. Also check the U- bolts on the front axle....loose or broken crossmembers or bumper mounts. The list is long unless you can isolate it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Eh, I've driven/piloted everything from a 1947 willys jeep, to a 1953 Bell 47. It's not one of those "important" sounds. It's more of a "it's just a normal sound from a 39 year old vehicle" type of thing.
WRONG, not a 39 year old noise, there is a cause, find the cause, fix the cause, the noise goes away, I have had BIG trucks as old as 1931, thay make all kinds of noise, but you can get rid of the noise with a bit of work, the noise is no different then modern noise, comes from the same things and parts

ratat98

WRONG, not a 39 year old noise, there is a cause, find the cause, fix the cause, the noise goes away, I have had BIG trucks as old as 1931, thay make all kinds of noise, but you can get rid of the noise with a bit of work, the noise is no different then modern noise, comes from the same things and parts
Oh yeah, I know it can be fixed, but what I'm trying to say is that it's not one of those noises that I'm too worried about. It's not like a bearing issue or a loose spring hanger. It's more like the body shifting when the frame flexes a little. I've got a day off today, so I'm going to go out and investigate once the frost melts

Last edited: