• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

poppop,s M37 restore thread

poppop

Jerry, it will not be candy apple red. It will be as it was created in the same year I was born. I can't change me and I will not change it.

zout

Looks like progress is coming right along - I hear you on the blast material getting in places you do not want.
10 years later the stuff will be dropping from areas you never knew existed.

Just curious as you mentioned bondo - what ever it is most folks just call the filler by that name.

On this older stuff with the previous rust and sealed up like you have done - I use a couple products as the first filler.
1st is made by USG - DuraGlass the second is Metal All.

(you have to be a Sling Blade movie fan to understand this one) But "I call the first" Tiger Hair as that is what we use to
call this stuff - "but other folks call it" Reinforced Bondo (has shredded fiberglass in it) but the filler material gets as hard as a rock
to where you could almost tap it and put a bolt in it - the second product up ^^^^ there is the same way.

I am not posting this to detract from poppop's thread - DO NOT ask questions about the pic as its only an example of the two products in use.
The regular BONDO as we know it being the lite or regular gets thinly layered on top of this. Whatever sand marks come through the epoxy primer are easily filled by the epoxy high build primer later on.Photo1300.jpg it all gets layered on top of bare metal an not on top of a primer (it will pop on you I guarantee it)

See PB - I have nothing against a properly used Bondo. They all have their proper uses.

Keep the pics coming Lloyd - love the progress Sir.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
On this older stuff with the previous rust and sealed up like you have done - I use a couple products as the first filler.
1st is made by USG - DuraGlass the second is Metal All.

Is this the same as All Metal, which used to be called "AlumaLead"?

Man, that stuff worked well. I did my Dad's Chevelle rear window with that stuff 20+ years ago and it's still good.

zout

Wow - I was an idiot typing it backwards - I had in mind the metal polish called Met All and you are
absolutely right Clinto - ALL METAL - fantastic product that has been out for years. Thanks for
setting me straight - I need a boot in the arse every now an then.

poppop

To cold and windy today to sandblast or paint. Washed the cab so it will be ready for paint and found a couple spots that needed a little putty so applied that and sanded. It is done now for sure, I think. Rounded up the winch pieces and pressure washed them so can maybe see what seals and bearings I need and get them coming. While digging through boxes looking for winch parts I found all the front axle seals and the diff seals which I have already installed so I will have some parts for sale when this is over. I also found the felt for the nuckle seal which I was not going to replace so it will be replaced now. Also found all the bills for parts that oldvw2 had bought to restore the truck and have not added them up yet but its clear he had spent more in parts than he sold the truck for. Once again THANK YOU oldvw2. We did spend the afternoon taking apart the Dana 60 front axle on my 83 chevy one ton 4x4 that I got from Fort Stewart. I learned here on SS about the death wobble on these 80's trucks and realized that it is the same axle. I have replaced tires and done everthing I knew to do to a avail and so this truck has seen less that 50 miles in the last three years because no one will drive it. The king pins and bushings were shot so it is on its way to recovery because of information on SS.

jw4x4

Jerry, it will not be candy apple red. It will be as it was created in the same year I was born. I can't change me and I will not change it.
I know you will do it right, there was not even a nano-second of doubt in my mind how it would be. it just never ceases to amaze me the suggestions we get! I love hot rods, too. But never should the two mix on the same vehicle.

I admire the stand-up job you are doing on this project. It's gonna be just like the previous owner imagined it in the end. I hope I get the chance to see it in person one day. [thumbzup]

poppop

Could not stand it any longer, It warmed up but not enough to paint. So I decided to blast all the mounting brackets that attach to the frame. We got most of them done as well as four wheeles and one lock ring. Blasting went extremly well with no water problems. These parts are under cover awaiting a good painting day. One Pic shows start up of blasting and the rest show nice shiny metal inside and protected .100_2724 (Small).JPG100_2725 (Small).JPG100_2726 (Small).JPG

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, a diclaimer from the start. This will not be done at zouts warp speed and also not his quility. Probably not PB's either. It will be the most extensive job i have done on an MV.
I love how poppop starts this thread with this disclaimer, basically saying "hey, this isn't going to be museum quality, we're just cleaning it up so it will be a good farm truck" and then proceeds to show us what looks like a museum quaility restoration.

rofl

The only way this won't end up nearly perfect (or at least museum quality) is if you guys get 80% done and start using meth and wire it using household lamp wiring or something.

zout

Ditto on the above two visual aspects of this piece - I would insert a BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH here
as someone's pulling the wood over our eyes imagesCA1U1UON.jpg and this 37 is going to be Prestine looking.

Even if the Sahara Desert blows a sand storm your way while your painting - that baby is looking immaculate:doh: I have to
stop posting pics of my stuff now after this - it will all look trivial.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ditto on the above two visual aspects of this piece - I would insert a BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH here
as someone's pulling the wood over our eyes View attachment 414192 and this 37 is going to be Prestine looking.
Even if the Sahara Desert blows a sand storm your way while your painting - that baby is looking immaculate:doh: I have to
stop posting pics of my stuff now after this - it will all look trivial.
Ain't that just the truth!!! I won't be able to park ANY of my junk next to this truck!!:papabear:

poppop

Made some progress today. The weather is suppossed to be nice the next several days so decided to blast the frame. Ready to start at 3:00 and the compressor would not start. Got it started at 5:00 and by 7:00 it is 75% done. It is cleaning up easy, almost can't move the nozzle fast enough. Now they say wind for the next several days and I have to paint in the open. OH well, we will see how it turns out.

poppop

Well it was to windy to even spray upwind today but we did sandblast. Everything is finished except five small pieces we missed and the bed. Ran out of sand at 5:00. Blasting opened up several small pinholes in the tailgate so I welded them up. Pictures show the frame finished, my helper blasting, and them everything tucked away in an old tobacco barn where I hope they wont't rust before the wind quits blowing.

As you can see my camera lens did not open all the way. Maybe it had sand in it.

100_2730 (Small).JPG100_2729 (Small).JPG100_2728 (Small).JPG100_2731 (Small).JPG

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seeing all these resto threads, has me itching to actually do one. I have Angie's M37 that she has basically stopped working on, and a bunch of parts for it. I was going to get it driving and stopping reliably, but the more I look at pictures and the more I look at the truck, I want to do a total restore. First thing is I need to get my tarps on the framework so I have a dry place to leave it and work on it.

Poppop, that M37 is going to turn out great and I can't wait to see it in person! Keep up the great work!

poppop

PROGRESS, the rain quit, the wind laid and it was warm so we sprayed some paint today. The frame, engine, wheels and lockrings, driveshafts and some other parts have two coats of epoxy. We ran two guns for a while but the big air compressor did not like that. So I switched to a smaller compressor for my gun and it burned a wire into. Every thing looks good but I have used over half my primer and am not anywhere near half done. Tomorrow we will spray some more epoxy and put color on everthing we sprayed today.

100_2738 (Small).JPG100_2737 (Small).JPG100_2739 (Small).JPG100_2732 (Small).JPG100_2733 (Small).JPG100_2734 (Small).JPG100_2735 (Small).JPG100_2736 (Small).JPG

3dAngus

Ohy Geeeezzzeeee....

I'm just going to quit working on mine, sell it, then buy yours.

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see the paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks