• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible to get a military hummer for 10 grand?

ABN173

Right now the prices are really high. Since the Army plans on no longer buying new HMMWV's after this year then maybe we might see some come by way of auction again. Currently these get sold outside the USA or get stripped down to the frame and rebuilt.

Having been in the Army since 1990 I really want one........but there is no way with the current prices.

Dale

B3.3T

You might start by using the right term. A Hummer is the civilian truck. The military uses a HMMWV, often pronounced Humvee. Many folks are very particular in terms. As for finding one, there are always some on Ebay under Military Vehicles. Conditions, models and price varies. Other sites include this one and Military Vehicle Sales and Appraisal Service

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I agree with emmando...there may be a stripped tub or some excess/used parts sold but I doubt GL/DRMO will be selling any soon, if ever. I think FMS etc will account for most of the vehicles.

Just a friendly word of caution: according to what I've been told, only a few were ever released for sale to the public and that was years ago.
If you find one to buy at any price make sure the seller has a believable paper trail.
A friend in South GA was working on two for a customer and Federal Marshalls came to his place and wanted to see the paperwork. Of course the owner had it and all was good.

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2010.

Alfred10:

If your pockets are deep enough, you might be able to locate one of the HMMWV's that the USMC traded out several years back for repairs on their helo fleet..... Other then that, the chance is nil you'll ever see something more modern be released.

Clark Equipment is one place to look in Poca,WV.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

Your pockets will need top be deeper as a semi runnable one will go for about $30,000 UP.

Mudstone

what is the deal with the demil requirements? i don't understand... it's an aluminum shell with a frame a motor and a steering wheel?

sandcobra164

As best as I understand it,

The HMMWV got killed by AM General lobbying Congress. Around the mid 90's, the Marine Corps cut some loose through DRMO. This bothered AM General as they were selling their Civilian H1 for alot of money and they didn't want the competition or the option of buyers getting a Mil-Spec HMMWV for pennies on the dollar for what they were charging for a Civilian H1. They cited "rollover rates" of the trucks in service with Active Duty Military and used that as a bargaining chip to push their agenda through. Turns out, they do roll pretty often in Active Duty use but realistically, that's Private Joe Snuffy at all of 18 years of age driving like a jack@@@ and doing some dumb stuff to get it to the point of rolling over. Therefore, the Government deems it an unsafe vehicle and AM General had their solution. The Government stopped selling the HMMWV's and AM General cashed in on selling their inferior H1. If it's unsafe for highway use, how does the National Guard and Marine Corps Reserve get away with doing just that with them??? Well, they are another Govt. entity and Uncle Sam know's that they are perfectly fine vehicles that can accomplish the mission. I've driven plenty under all sorts of conditions and never rolled one. I have seen them get stuck though.... See my post on my Training Pictures!!!! If someone knows differently, please post so that I can tell the story correctly.

Stalwart

Look, AM General selling to the US Military couldn't be sued for liability as the were built to an accepted spec. AM General would be exposed to enormous potential lawsuits by the public for these vehicles not meeting crash or other safety standards. Built into the price of the civilian vehicles was the cost of this insurance, they didn't get paid for the insureance on the military models, but if they were ever sold, they would be on the hook from every sue happy idiot with a lawyer.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Demill of some items has allways troubled me ,but the facts are no ONE person can get anything done to change it and just as it is with our political system the answer is to get enough people of like minds to voice a concern loud enough that your voice is heard, biggest problem we as MV group is there just is'nt a big enough impact on public in general for our Senators & Congressmen to feel the need to address the issues that concern us,that is why every chance we get as representatives of our interests ("THE GREEN STUFF") we must convey positive thoughts of what our motives are!!! That's my 2cents worth .

popacom.......KI4QQB in KY.:mrgreen:

Heavysteven

I agree we need to push the government to release the humvees.

I need one to go with my deuce.

I hope the fact that the h1 is not being produced AM General want mind the drop in value.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if there was a sucessful effort to get the demil changed, there still wouldnt be a bunch of them apearing at a GL near you.

Virtually every tactical vehicle program in the US inventory has proven that by going thru a RESET/RECAP program, it's cheaper to rebuild a vehicle to zero hours/zero miles to current specs than buy a brand new one. Everything from HMMWV's to HETs to M1 tanks get rebuilt at a huge savings to the taxpayer. Those that dont meet the rebuild standards get take apart for the pieces to get rebuilt. Bottom line, they wont be coming out of the system.

And for those that say "Uncle is cancelling the HMMWV program and not buying any more new ones, so he must be wanting to get rid of them", well your correct about not buying new ones... Cause it's cheaper to rebuild them. AMG is not worrying, as guess who is supplying Uncle Sam with parts??? Think they are worried? I bet they make a ton more off parts than complete vehicles.. Bottom line, HMMWV is not going away anytime in the next 10-15 years.. The JTLV program is stalled, and looks like it's going down the same road the JITRS program did for tactical radios... And have we seen a true JTRS radio fielded yet????????????

Last edited:
Reactions: emr

laproscopic

last weekend a truck dumped a 93 hmmwv at my door. price $10000. Got it from World wide auto in salt lake city. 41k miles

needed a little work:
r rear fender, tailgate, seats, and rear aluminum crossmember are to be replaced. parts on the way
b pillar needs a little straightening. almost fixed
has no doors or top-need to order
had to get 4 new tires and has aftermarket wheels
needs 2 new half shafts-on the way

But seems to run and drive good. looks to be well serviced. frame is way clean. im excited. these pics show what $10k gets you. And I took a risk. my brother saw the truck and inspected it. the salvege yard purchased the truck at auction and then placed it up for sale at $11k without even knowing if it ran or not. I asked the salvage yard if they could get it cleaned up, running and driving for me and then I would buy it. to that the yard owner said, "son once I get that humvee cleaned up, running and driving it will cost you more than $10k.

So I baught it and got lucky. the truck seems tight

Attachments

ida34

As best as I understand it,

The HMMWV got killed by AM General lobbying Congress. Around the mid 90's, the Marine Corps cut some loose through DRMO. This bothered AM General as they were selling their Civilian H1 for alot of money and they didn't want the competition or the option of buyers getting a Mil-Spec HMMWV for pennies on the dollar for what they were charging for a Civilian H1. They cited "rollover rates" of the trucks in service with Active Duty Military and used that as a bargaining chip to push their agenda through. Turns out, they do roll pretty often in Active Duty use but realistically, that's Private Joe Snuffy at all of 18 years of age driving like a jack@@@ and doing some dumb stuff to get it to the point of rolling over. Therefore, the Government deems it an unsafe vehicle and AM General had their solution. The Government stopped selling the HMMWV's and AM General cashed in on selling their inferior H1. If it's unsafe for highway use, how does the National Guard and Marine Corps Reserve get away with doing just that with them??? Well, they are another Govt. entity and Uncle Sam know's that they are perfectly fine vehicles that can accomplish the mission. I've driven plenty under all sorts of conditions and never rolled one. I have seen them get stuck though.... See my post on my Training Pictures!!!! If someone knows differently, please post so that I can tell the story correctly.
Actually, AM General has an agreement from day one that made it impossible for the government to sell them complete as surplus to the average Joe. They could only be sold or given away to other governments. The Marines found a loophole. They did not sell them. They traded to a contractor for some work. They were not "sold" so it did not violate the agreement at the time. This is where the majority of the military HMMWVs came from. The loop hole was closed quickly after that.