• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible to get a military hummer for 10 grand?

DeuceNewb

give me a hmmwv and i'll get it registered in NC. I've been through this kind of stuff before, and deal with the inspectors many times a year. It's not impossible.

FL_Frank

That HMMWV is very close to me as well - might give him a call later to see what he wants for it and if he has title from the estate. Thanks!

tyrntlzrdking

hi yall, i was reading this thread and did a little looking around, and found a kinda cheap Hummwv for $18,000. its a Hummer M998 Military Series from 1990 and he says its registered for road use. runs perfect too. i would love to have it but its a little out of my price range. id rather a fellow MV lover get it, its in Sarasota FL. ill post the URL, Hummer M998 Military Series from 1990

The craigslist ad has now expired. I am interested.
Anyone know if it was sold? Anyone have contact info so I can get in touch with seller? Thanks.

MiltonFine

I had a 1994 HMCS and it was my favorite vehicle of all time. :-D I wish I still had it, but I needed the money for other things. :(

You were able to find cheap H1's about a year ago, but they went up for a while. I think they're down again (certainly the number advertised has gone up!) and I have no idea where they will go from here. Maybe everyone who thought they wanted one has finally gotten one, and decided it wasn't for them.

They're a million moving parts built by the lowest bidder, and it shows in places. Birdnest like wiring, failed major components (HVAC in the 1994-1997.5, GM 6.5T in the 1998(9?)-2001 8th cylinder crack), and a penchant for rust on the HMCS wagon backs. That said, they're actually easy to drive, comfortable, and when armored up underneath and locked will go pretty much wherever you point. The CTIS is fantastic.

If I had the money for one (ten?) today, I'd buy them. They're really a lot of fun. But they're not cheap to buy, and they're expensive and/or intensive to repair (which is required about monthly depending on your driving habits).

To your question: No. Not any Hummer even. If you do find one for that price, BEWARE! They're usually a couple grand behind in maintenance hence the discount. :lol:

Personally, if I wanted a "HMMWV" I would just take a civilian model and dress up the outside. You gain sound insulation, a bigger engine (6.5LNA or Turbo vs. 6.2L), a better trans (3 vs. 4 speed I think), and a much nicer interior (sliding reclining seats, no b-pilar cross member to eat up rear leg room, radio, etc.). It's not historically accurate, but I don't think that should discourage anyone from wanting one. However, 1992 and 1993 are much closer to a HMMWV in more aspects.

If you're interested in the differences, Humvee.net has a TON of information in the Hummer Knowledge Base. LynchHummer.com has a bunch of info on model year changes.

Sorry if that moved off-topic.

Last edited:

MSgt USMC (Ret)

Whatever you do don't buy a Marine Corps one. I've seen what they go through on a shipboard deployment to the Med or WestPac.

Picture 4 drunk Frat boys on spring break in a rental car paid for by there parents and multiply that by 15 or more years and you might be partially accurate.

bratpackdad

How much do you charge for a "HUMMER!"

Yes you can buy a strong running HMMWV for as little as $1,500.00 However, it will be a bit smaller and lighter. Also, some people may refer to it as a "WTF is that?!? or "Gun Tractor." But ignore them and enjoy your new ride. :cookoo:

Attachments

eisenhe

The demil requirement is similar to the reason some states don't allow registering military vehicles for on-road use -- either just because they can, or because someone is afraid of a lawsuit. Technically it's a weapon system, so they don't want you to have it, or don't want to be held liable when you hurt yourself with it. No sense of personal responsibility!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are that the only way to get one for 10K is overseas and it wont be able to be brought back.:sad:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks