• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly bringing home a M1008

MT4222

Hi everyone, i have searched and read posts all day. I am looking at purchasing a m1008. this m1008 has an 8 inch ord lift. 35 inch super swampers. Banks sidewinder turbo and exhaust. here is the problem. I live in Plymouth Michigan. this truck is near Virginia beach. i am currently staying at a campground in north Carolina. i am conserned if this vehicle will make it back to Michigan. i would like to know what key things to inspect and lookover before buying this truck. i have AAA but what are their towing distances and restrictions. we will drive the fourteen hour trip in 2 or 3 days. what things are most likely to go wrong with the truck and what is prone to failure. it looks real clean and it reads 55 000 miles. sorry but phone won't load pics. thanks

What are some of the most common problems with these trucks and what should i look for when i see it what would most likely fail if i drive it home?

I found a place that will ship it for me for 630. Now i need to determine how much i should pay for it. this truck has a Banks Sidewinder turbo. Banks exhaust system . 8 inch Ord lift kit. This truck is rust free and in a overall great condition. what do you guys think is a fair price for this m1008?

Last edited:

MT4222

Hi everyone, before i buy this vehicle i need to find a way to get it from Chespeake Virginia to Plymouth Michigan. This truck has a lift and super swamper so it is not the best road vehicle. if anyone knows of a good vehicle transport company let me know. Or if anyone has the means to transport this vehicle i would be more than glad to pay you. if you could move this m1008 for me let me know.
THANKS, Max

MT4222

Hi everyone, before i buy this vehicle i need to find a way to get it from Chespeake Virginia to Plymouth Michigan. This truck has a lift and super swamper so it is not the best road vehicle. if anyone knows of a good vehicle transport company let me know. Or if anyone has the means to transport this vehicle i would be more than glad to pay you. if you could move this m1008 for me let me know.
THANKS, Max

epartsman

What are you driving? Can you rent a Uhaul car trailer? That would be the cheapest and safest method. If not thorougly inspect and test drive before you buy. Then easy does it on your way back having some extra cash in case you need to make any repairs. I have the number of a guy here in Florida that may be able to combine it with one of his loads going up to reduce your cost but it may take awhile to coordinate. PM me if you want his #

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT drive an 8" lifted truck with 35" Super Swampers that distance

1 - you will most likely go deaf

2 - you MIGHT wear the tires beyond belief

3 - even if you don't break ANYTHING (doubtful - it's a 25 year old truck) you will be driving a truck made for OFF ROAD, not highway driving.

if you have it hauled for you, average cost is at least $1 per mile - maybe more

other than that, it sounds like a nice truck - I've driven an M1028A2 dually that distance in four days in the summer time and it was doable - but it had highway tires and was box stock - it ran great - I was miserable in the heat though

finding a suitable trailer and towing it home MAY be your least expensive option - if you have a rig that can tow it

197thhhc

Does the seller still have the original wheels and tires. You could always put them on and head out after a good PMCS. If you have a good backup vehicle, if it were me I would drive The CUCV. But then again nobody has ever accused me of having too much sense.:driver:

MT4222

I can't drive it because i have my chevy silverado and can't pull it because i am pulling a 30 ft camper with my truck. he does have the rims but they need new tires. the super swampers drive like square blocks of wood so driving ot in its current condition is not practical.

epartsman

You can try an equipment rental place like Hertz and get a truck and trailer. You can go to a used tire seller or try craiglist and get a decent used set of the factory size tires to mount on those rims. New works too. Check it over well, PM it, and drive it. Just remember it's an old truck and anything can happen so make sure to be prepared. Read my post "pop went the weasel" to see what I am dealing with.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/90047-pop-went-weasel-any-ideas.html

MT4222

I found a place that will ship it. Now i need to determine how much i should pay for it. this truck has a Banks Sidewinder turbo. Banks exhaust system . 8 inch Ord lift kit. This truck is rust free and in a overall great condition. what do you guys think is a fair price for this m1008?

Last edited:

MT4222

Would it be alright if i put some different tires on it and drove it home? i would stop and camp each night. I would divide the 14 hour drive into three 4.5 hour trips each day. would this harm the engine running at a slow highway speed? or create any other damage?

Atwater

i paid $4500 for a bone stock m1008 rust free after taxes and was happy. adding a turbo could cost up over $2000. a well done 8" lift could come close to that too. what you offer i think has more to do with what you can afford.2cents

MT4222

Yes the lift seems to be done correctly. it has ord shackle flip. the axles have been shimmed so the u joins are to stressed. the turbo install looks good and isn't rigged. those truck also has 2 new alternators . a new starter and the 24 volt system is intact.

I'd ship it seeing as it's only $630. By my rough estimates...buying drivable tires for it on craigslist ($300-600) and fuel ($200) will cost you well over $600 anyways.

As for the price of the truck itself... Has he not given you any prices or an amount of what he's got into it?
I'd say $4500-5000 would be a good price... But seeing as he hasn't given you a price that's sometimes a red-flag that he's looking to get something ridiculous for it.

MT4222

What do you think would be most likely to break or fail while driving it home? what should i look for when i go to see it? what are some common problems?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks