• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possibly No More Trucks from DLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEIOWA

EDIT: Don't post inflammatory crap.

Letter specifically regards FEPP AND FFP for Fire Dept. But includes FFP which is a title transfer program which DOD or EPA or EPA/DOD is trying to kill.

EDIT: Speculative name calling.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

springbok

Swiss, this was a one on one as I am friends with our Senator. To sum it up, they know it pissed off many people but the decision to go on selling to the public will not be anything done in the short term.
I did pass on that the next step would be to talk about farmers or other groups that are not just going to drive them to work every day, like I do.

Triple C

Are there enough of these vehicles in the collector insurance pool for the insurance companies to care what the outcome is? If there are enough to make a difference to the insurance carriers, 1) Do we have any reason to think they are aware or up to date on the issue and 2) is there any way we can partner with them?

I might add that many of the specialty vehicles they DO insure would fall under the "reasons" posted, I.E. no seat belts, air bags etc. so even if there aren't a lot of the military vehicles in the insurance pool it sounds like their whole specialty market could be in jeopardy as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EDIT

While it's commendable that we should speak up, we still don't have 100% of ALL the facts. I think there's no harm in voicing concern. But if there's any other motivating factors at play, and the EPA card was pulled to enact the changes they wish, there might be unforeseen repercussions.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it's commendable that we should speak up, we still don't have 100% of ALL the facts. I think there's no harm in voicing concern. But if there's any other motivating factors at play, and the EPA card was pulled to enact the changes they wish, there might be unforeseen repercussions.
Very true, I just applied for a Title/SF97 for the last truck (M35A2) I got from GL. The website processed the request and accepted the payment, however I got a funny feeling it may fall get held up for some reason. We'll see, the titling department at GL should have a lot of time on their hands.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We ask that everyone hold their calls and emails to their representatives until we can get a better idea of the root causes of the issue at hand. Over the weekend we hope to be closer to formulating a plan of action and next week, we will detail a mechanism to allow our voices to be heard in a calm, dignified and organized manner.

How about we all wait until Monday or Tuesday?

We are waiting to hear back from some folks.

(No, it isn't staying closed and if anyone wants to send new info written in stone and covered in armor by all means, send to a mod and we will review it.)

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump

Basically no concrete information with which to formulate a cogent response at this time. Please be patient as no one wants answers more than we do here at the SS site.

Thank you for your patience.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump

Yes, we are aware of the MVPA working on the problem as well. Thank you for all the reports you have sent in.

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping again. The staff is working behind the scenes to come up with a definite answer to what is going on. We are NOT burying our heads in the sand thinking nothing has happened. Even the MVPA is working on this issue.

If you have a definite answer of what is going on, please let a moderator know.

All this speculation that people keep posting does nothing. It just fans the flames.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We appreciate everyone's patience about this matter which concerns all of us.

There has been a comprehensive, behind the scenes action to find out what the true basis of this stoppage is: Is it truly EPA Clean Air Act issues or is that the cover story for something else (safety guildelines, etc.).

We can not start a campaign if we don't know what we're campaigning for or against. We can't send 10K people off on a letter writing campaign only to find out we wrote letters complaining about a red herring.

I realize this has taken several weeks, but to get information and then be able to properly source it takes time. We don't need rumors or "I heard from this guy that somebody told him this" - we need emails, memos, people willing to go on record. Otherwise, it's just rumors and you can't build a campaign on that.

The waiting is coming to an end and soon, official announcements from the big players in the Historic Military Vehicle hobby will begin to lay out what we have found and will begin to instruct hobbyists on how best to proceed.

The MVPA just sent out an email within the last hour with a link to an article they've written concerning the situation. The link is currently broken, but I have been on the phone with their HQ and they say the webmaster is working on it now and it will be fixed today.

I will update this thread when the link is fixed.

I was going to wait to post this info until the link was fixed, but I see people on SS are already posting threads about it and ultimately, that info needs to be here and not until the link is fixed.

We appreciate everyone's patience.

C

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Press release from MVPA:

http://www.mvpa.org/2014/07/29/read-about-the-suspension-of-military-vehicle-sales/

Read about the suspension of military vehicle sales!

As Supply Line prepares for printing, the DoD has ceased releasing surplus tactical military vehicles outside of the Department of Defense, citing concerns about potential violations of the Clean Air Act. At this time it is unclear if all sales will resume, some sales will resume, or whether in the future surplus vehicles will meet a fate like these in Helmand province, Afghanistan. We urge all MVPA members to read – completely – the accompanying article. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Staff Sgt. Theresa Seng/Released)
CLICK HERE to download and read the whole story!

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another bump, and a notice.

1. What you see is what you get folks. We're not holding anything back from you. Simply put, we still don't have the facts. (SS, the MVPA, exc.) Please, don't PM me asking for inside knowledge.

2. Do not post the infowars link about the land rovers being seized. The article only contains speculation and sensationalized information. No where in the article was any mention of MVs. So it doesn't belong here until that changes.

3. We're not sitting here doing nothing. We want MVs to be for auction once more just like you. We actively are communicating with the MVPA about it and working internally as we can. But right now, we're all still trying to gather the reasoning for this change. If we go off on a campaign, we might be pursuing the wrong target unknowingly. We CERTAINLY will request everyone to help with this once we have a sound direction.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Email provided from Seafire:

Federal Surplus Program participants,

I wanted to give you an update on what we know so far regarding the availability of diesel powered vehicles and equipment through the Federal Surplus Program.

We had a conference call last week with the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) and General Services Administration (GSA). The Director (Colonel) of the DLA Disposition Service was on the call. The Director said that EPA has agreed to the release of vehicles for the LESO, FEPP and FFP programs. However, he stated, title for those programs will be retained by the Federal Government and all those vehicles will be tracked. The vehicles and equipment you all acquire from the Federal Surplus Program are still not being released by DLA.

The Director also said that they are working with the EPA and discussing some potential courses of action. These range from the current no donation policy to several other options. He mentioned options such as making the National Security exemption valid for the life of the vehicle regardless of owner, and also using a regulatory useful life (treat them like classic cars are treated for emissions). He did not discuss all the options that are being considered; he just gave us some examples. The Director agrees with us that it does not make sense to destroy these vehicles, especially ones that we know will meet EPA standards. He said that he took seven surplus vehicles and had them tested, and all passed EPA emission tests as long as they run on diesel and not JP8 fuel. He promised that he will continue to work on this issue and meet with EPA on an ongoing basis until they resolve this issue. EPA staff have not presented anything to their upper management (Assistant Administrator/Administrator level) yet for a decision.

The Director did address a couple of issues that have been in people’s mind for a while. He categorically said DLA and EPA have no interest in the vehicles that have been donated over the years, including the vehicles and engines we currently have in our warehouses in San Antonio and Ft. Worth. They do not want any of them back. Texas is one of the few States that still maintain warehouses. Other States have gone strictly to direct pickups and have nothing to donate. Fortunately, we still have a large inventory of trucks and other diesel powered equipment. The Director also said that they are keeping everything in place right now and they will not destroy anything until this issue is resolved. DLA has set up holding yards for future use in case the current locations get filled up.

We will continue to reach out to members of Congress asking them to encourage the EPA to do the right thing for the States.

Regards,

Director
Federal and State Surplus Property
Texas Facilities Commission

NEIOWA

New (14July) list of Controlled NSE

In one of the LOCKED threads concerning the EPA/DOD ban on transfers of engine powered equipment, there were requests for list of items banned. Many pages but I did not see the list posted. Not as of today DOD (EPA) have not resumed transfers to FD. Does not sound good for FFP (title program) without significant additional political effort directed at EPA drones.

Updated list is attached

Attachments

NEIOWA

You may note the HUGE number of line items added 1July and 14July. Busy little beavers. Good we don't have a war to fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks