• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power plant heater

mangus580

Bjorn, I'm not sure, but isnt that essentially the same 'power plant' heater as the CUCV uses? A fuel powered coolant heater...

Armada

I have not seen one specifically for a duece either, but I would think the cucv coolant heater is the same, albeit some differences in mounting.
I've got the cucv kit but have not installed it yet. The multifel heater in the back of the m109 is essentially the same thing without the pump and chamber for circulating and heating coolant, and that baby really puts out! I'm betting the coolant heaters will work like a champ too.
On a side note Bjorn, I was finally able to use the ether injector a couple days ago when the temps dipped below 30. Just one quick flip of the switch while cranking and the engine comes to life. A very handy accessory that should help to save on starter and battery life.

mangus580

ether injector??? how spoiled can ya be? I would be happy if my flame heater worked!!!

btw... even without the flame heater... in sub-zero temps, my deuce WILL start!!

Armada

Ouch. Well, here in Michigan, the winters get much colder than that tropical cold yooz guyz in NY get! :mrgreen:
Seriously, I've never started mine in sub zero temps yet, but it will start in single digits. It just takes a lot more cranking.
The cucv's are the ones that have a hard time starting if everything in the starting system is not absolutely 100%. But if the system is in top order with strong batteries, they'll start well too.

Armada

-50, I believe it! I see the complete kit has the enclosed battery boxes and oil pans that allow the hot air to cycle through. That is so cool. Throw on the body blankets and you could stay warm on the dark side of the moon even!

mangus580

LOL @210 Buy it now on ebay.... located on the west side of Toronto....

I cant wait to get mine.... although I am not sure I will use the complete kit! there is alot of stuff there....

mangus580

Thats one of the unique things about the CUCV kit... it has a new oil pan, and a new trany pan, the exhaust from the coolant heater is designed to exit through them!!

Armada

The guy in Toronto is pwitter I think. I bought my coolant heater from him. Looks brand new, no corrosion, etc. He is a reliable seller.

Armada

Everything but the oil pans, battery boxes and ductwork. He had a 'reduced' kit he was selling. I didn't need that other stuff for the duece.
The mounting brackets that come with it are for a cucv inner fender. I have an extra mounting bracket for the duece cab heater that will fit on the exhaust side of the duece engine, over the air horns. There is room to mount it in that spot.
The controller is the only thing I have mounted so far. You can see it in this picture.
I will only be using one set of heater switches as the cucv kit comes with 2 heaters.

Attachments

mangus580

Looks good!!

I see the single control boxes on ebay from time to time as well....

Now I wonder if it would be easier to do this for my deuce as opposed to getting the damn heater fittings out!

which heater did you get? the coolant? or air?

Armada

The coolant. I wanted to be able to start the truck in real cooooold weather. The ether seems to be working quite well so far though.

FSBruva

Armada-

I have heard that engines become ... "addicted" (for lack of a better word) to ether, once you start using it. Is this true?

Matt

mangus580

Alot of engines that are addicted.... need to use ether because of a different reason (like glow plug failure or something) Usually, when this is the case its most likely a function of further failure of such a system...

Does that make sense?

FSBruva

So does this mean that once you begin using ether to start the truck, you will more than likely have to use it, even at temperatures that you might have been able to start at before? Or what is the net impact? Should the ether starter be shied away from? I haven't used it yet, and I don't want to be opening up pandora's ether can.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks