• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price check on rod bearings, please

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called Clevite. they need a number off of the brg. They said they might be able to match it by NSN, but i can't download things at work. Anyone got the NSN for the rods and mains? Havn't tried Federal Mogul yet.

surpdlr

cranetruck said:
Cost, best place to buy etc (LDT465-1).
Thanks
I have standard Mains in stock if anybody needs them. (Memphis buys them for me!!)
No rod bearings at present.....

houdel

Re: RE: Price check on rod bearings, please

WillWagner said:
I called Clevite. they need a number off of the brg. They said they might be able to match it by NSN, but i can't download things at work. Anyone got the NSN for the rods and mains? Havn't tried Federal Mogul yet.
Only trouble here is you've got to inspect and the mike crank journals first. If the crank shows any wear (grooves etc.) then you have to get the journals ground and fit undersized bearings (yea, it sounds backwards, the bearings are actually oversized because the journal is actually undersized after it is ground, but industry practice is to call the bearings undersized). Even if the journal is smooth you still might need undersized bearings, so don't order them until the engine is torn down and you KNOW if you need standard or undersized bearings!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Price check on rod bearings, please

If his engine was rebuilt at the depot level, the data plate should show that the crank was ground and to what undersize.

Boatcarpenter

RE: Re: RE: Price check on rod bearings, please

Speaking of rod noise etc; I can find oil clearance #s for the main bearing journals and bearings, but not for the rod bearing journals and bearings. Any help!
Thanks,
BC

JasonS

My sealed power catalog lists two military standard engines: 427 and 478. I am assuming that these are the multifuels.

Rod bearing is 3355CP available in std, 10, 20, and 30. Standard shaft size is 2.9970/ 2.9980", housing bore is 3.2510/ 3.2520, oil clearance is 0.0022/ 0.0052", max wall thickness is 0.1254", width is 1.453". $24.99ea From Parts America

Main bearing is 4910M available in std and 10. Standard shaft size is 3.6210/ 3.6220", housing bore is 3.9370/ 3.9380", oil clearance is 0.0032/ 0.0063", max wall thickness is 0.1559", width of #4 is 2.127", balance is 1.230". $370.99/set from Parts America

SasquatchSanta

Can the mains be changed without dropping the crank?

How about the main seals?

I've got to drop the pan on my truck to install some sensors and other plumbing and even though I've got good oil pressure and no knocking I'm considering doing a PM bearing and oil pump change out while the pan is off.

I was hoping I could take a chance on ordering and therefore having a set of standard bearings on hand when the pan came off in hopes the existing bearings would verify to be standard size. I assume the bearing size is stamped on the back side of the bearing. Perhaps I need to verify the bearing size before ordering bearings --- just didn't want the truck to be down overnight.

I can't imagine being able to mic. a main bearing journal with the shaft in the block so I assume if there is a way to change mains with the crank in situ one would have to rely on visual inspection of each journal AND "hopefully" the bearing size being stamped on the under/back side of the bearing insert.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but any insight would be appreciated.

devilman96

Seals can be changed with out doing anything to the pan at all...

Mains can be changed one by one so no you dont have to drop the crank...

Same with the rod bearings...

I would never trust depot tags or assume a bearing size... you really HAVE TO PULL the bearings and see what you have in the engine, assuming will land you in a parts mess!!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes there is a mic that you can measure the main journals with the crank installed in the engine.

SasquatchSanta

Devilman Sez:

I would never trust depot tags or assume a bearing size... you really HAVE TO PULL the bearings and see what you have in the engine, assuming will land you in a parts mess!!
I agree --- I would never install new bngs without first verifying. As tempting as it is, given the uncertainty of not knowing if something has been previously turned I'm going to wait till I can verify what I need before ordering.

WillWagner Sez:

Yes there is a mic that you can measure the main journals with the crank installed in the engine.
That's good to know --- thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks