• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price for 3 multi-fuel complete engines with transmissions attached

Bo1

I have the opportunity to make an offer on 3 complete engines with transmissions. The Auction house owner says they are supposed to be "good", but we all know how that usually is. These were purchased, but the guy wrote her a hot check, so she said to make her an offer. I know the guy got them for around 650 for all three.

What would be a good offer to try to scoop these up? I love getting good deals, but don't want to over pay for junk either. I was thinking 100 bucks apiece to get them off of her lot. What do you guys think?

Bo

I am going to look at these tomorrow with some cash in my pocket, and can get more detail on them then.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think $300 is a pretty reasonable offer.... or figure 6cents per lb scrap value minus your time and fuel.

Finding a buyer for an engine that they can't see run is going to be hard.

dmetalmiki

If they are complete with accessories etc, then $300 is quite fair. And if you have a use for them, then a bargain. And that is without taking into consideration the transmissions. More than a bargain. I would not hesitate. But of course for me that would be under £200 and a definite snip.

Bo1

Well, I went and looked at them a little closer this afternoon. Only one is missing the turbo, but the other two are in tact. All three motors have obviously sitting out in the weather for awhile. I really need an alternator for my truck, and all 3 have alternators, but I could not freely spin any of them. I'm hoping I can work on them a little and get one to spin.
I will have more info after I get them home. All 3 have the LDS 465-1A plates on them, and we're rebuilt in the early 90's.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LDS's are a completely different animal. If I wasn't liquidating my stuff right now I would be all over them.

Bo1

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is different about LDS engines? Hopefully they are out of deuces.
i need to go do some searching on the site. :)

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lds came in 5tons, ldt came in 2.5 tons . A few deuces had lds installed ! Lds has more power . I sure wouldn't mind finding 3 of them in my area ...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would say $450.00 is a fair price for both of you. The seller would get close to scrap price and you would get 3 unknown engines/transmissions but if even one of each is good you done good. The fact they've been stored outside sorta gives me the heebie jeebies though.

Just my humble....absolutely worthless opinion.:papabear:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a ldt c motor in mine , after spending many hours using the search feature above I've come to the conclusion when I find and lds at the right price I'll be getting one either for a swap or backup motor . The people that have them in their trucks love the added power .

Bo1

I called the owner, and offered 350 dollars, and she took it. Looks like I will be hauling 3 engines + tranny's to Garret's (Jeepsinker) place sometime soon. :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As I've said before(and Stretch's truck will prove), an LDT can be brought up to similar power as an LDS. Its a tough call as to weather I'd swap out a LDT just to say I have an LDS. I think if I had a good running LDT, I'd tune it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good deal. Scrap prices around here would be almost exactly what you paid for them. $140/ton. :-(

Bo1

I will let Garret look at them and we can decide if any of them are worth rebuilding, or fixing up. I do have to admit, I like the idea of having the larger power plant in my truck.