• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Price for a rebuild..

Dabba

Not to be a post whore or worry wart, but looking at the worst case scenerio, how much should i expect to pay for a rebuild of my 6.2? I hope my engines not toast but it seems she ran for a few min without oil to the lifters soo

maybefixit

Did it run under load for a few minutes or at idle? The cam is buried deep in the block, with a pushrod drivetrain for the valves. What are the details of the 'lack of oil' situation?

Dabba

Did it run under load for a few minutes or at idle? The cam is buried deep in the block, with a pushrod drivetrain for the valves. What are the details of the 'lack of oil' situation?

I just got my m1008 like a month ago. I just got new mud tires on it and wanted to test it, espcially after i pulled a stuck wrangler out of the spot i was in, well i got stuck, stuck up the front bumper and doors in muddy water slime crap. She sat for a few hours while we made every attempt go get it out, finally ending in paying a guy with a wrecker 5 bills. As we got back to the truck to pull it out, i noticed she was smoking more than usual, couldnt tell if it was oil burning or not. Long story short we get it pulled out and shortly after discover shes leaking oil pretty quickly. My house is only 5-10 mins out so i decide to shoot for it.

Well, as i get close to my house i hear what sounds like a glass marble bouncing around, in tune with the rpms of the motor, i took it as a sign she was critically low on oil but i was around the block from my house, so i got there and cut the engine asap. I get under and theres what looks like oil leaking from between the oil pan and tranny. Theres also some oil on my starter (but a second look shows none on top of the starter) and the filter. Shes not leaking oil while sitting, and i cant start her because the starter just clicks so im guessing its all gummed up.

That where im at... As far as the noise figure 2, maybe 3min tops. At first it was low so i didnt heed it as much but i went easier, i got to some small hills about a minute out from the house and thats when it became louder, thats when i cut back with throttle usage and went as easy as i could, after a block of hills i really didnt put her much passed idle, kinda coasted as best i could.

Man with my luck i roasted the engine so..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Short answer: For your area, suggest you go to your local VO-Tech school and ask the auto shop instructor since he will have better information for your immediate vicinity.

Long answer:

The 6.2 to a 6.5 swap is not a quick pull one out, put one in. Not even close. If you do a search you will find several threads on this and see that it is a very intense project. Do not even go this route unless you have much better than average mechanical skills.

The subject of rebuilding a 6.2 also came up and there is a very good thread on that also. I seem to recall the final price just for the rebuild was around 1500 to 2K for a central location down in NC. I found only one place so far in my immediate area and they were wanting nearly 5K to rebuild the engine. The art is being lost on today's youth because I was told by a vo-tech teacher that nobody rebuilds because it is cheaper to buy new. I was told nobody teaches it at vo-techs anymore.

The suggestion to have a spare engine, transmission, and transfer is very good advice along with having spare generators, starters, IP, etc, etc.

One suggestion is to get a rust bucket from GL or GSA and part it out. Another is to go to a junk yard. Either way you are rolling the dice and potentially paying for more problems but fixing two engines and having one on standby isn't that bad of an idea if you can get the right price.

HAWKMAN

:ditto:It doesn't take long to roast an engine without oil pressure, couple minutes can seriously damage bearings. Like Carnac said it is always a good idea to have a spare powerpack,(motor,trns,transferr) handy. Look around local if you can't find anything local PM me, I know where a couple are available.....hopefully all works out for you:-D

Boxdoc1960

I have a friend that bought 40 brand new 6.2's of GL a couple of years ago. I haven't asked him what he wants for one but if you want I could find out.:-D

Dabba

thanks guys, im goin to see what my mechanic says, if anything i guess ill try to get a pull out. ill let you know. i really wish i wasnt snowed in with like a foot of snow so i can go outside and check it out more, and i could really use the truck right now...

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because it turns over does not mean there isn't bearing damage (or worse) done to the engine.

Dabba

yeah, but she turned over real easy and i guess theres less of a chance of damage than if she didnt turn over at all. In any case even if there was damage im sure its top end and im guessing he wont need to take the engine out..i hope..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that you have had this incident, good time to start shopping for reserve power.