• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Primary Fuel Filter FUBAR

dutchguy

I've searched the forums high and low, and have seen a ton of discussion about this issue, but no definitive answers. I'm doing my first fuel filter change in my Deuce that the previous owner ran WMO in. WOW, what a mess. :cry:Drained and flushed the tank, refilled with clean diesel, bled all three filters to get it at least to the filters. All filter canisters full of black goo. Anyway, got my new "Luberfiner" filter set, removed all three filters, now have a question. The "Luberfiner" primary filter seems way too long when assembled with the "correct" component stack up in the canister (washer, spring, washer, seal, cup, filter). The "original" (Baldwin?) filter has areas at each end that fit into the cup, and into the filter head. The new filters have cork top and bottom, and when I assembled the primary into the canister, I'm going to have to compress the spring "to solid" to get it all together. Pics show #1 Old and new filter, with cup and spring showing length. #2 New filter in canister. #3 Old filter in canister. #4 New filter on spring w/ cup. #5 Old filter on spring w/ cup. #6 Bottom of new filter with cup and spring. #7 New filter with washer. Could this be used instead of cup to reduce height? #8 Old and new filters, washer?
Have y'all seen this, and what did you do about it?

I'm thinking that I may go with a spin-on primary. Secondaries seem to fit OK. Good news is after it's all back together, she should run like a different animal!8)

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Interesting.. I bought the one from NAPA #3511 and the cork is on the inside of the metal ring at the top. Have not changed yet to look at size difference though.. Looks like this..

Attachments

Preacherboy

Switching the primary to a spin on is rather simple.

Wix fuel filter base 24770, remove out filter canister, drill 3 holes in existing bracket, bolt wix base on, tape up fittings and screw fuel lines into new filter base.

There are a number of different fuel filter/water separator spin on's that will work with this particular base. The one I'm using for my mep generator is something like a 6 micron! For the deuce it is a little higher than that since it is just the primary and you have 2 secondaries after it.

Just sharing from my experience, the cheapest place I've found for these parts is fleetfilter.com, I've had great service from them and I usually order a case of filters and sometimes some of these filter bases. I've purchased so many bases from them I probably should have just gotten a case! Certainly search around and decide which filter you want to use and what business you want to order from.

dutchguy

Switching the primary to a spin on is rather simple.

Wix fuel filter base 24770, remove out filter canister, drill 3 holes in existing bracket, bolt wix base on, tape up fittings and screw fuel lines into new filter base.

There are a number of different fuel filter/water separator spin on's that will work with this particular base. The one I'm using for my mep generator is something like a 6 micron! For the deuce it is a little higher than that since it is just the primary and you have 2 secondaries after it.

Just sharing from my experience, the cheapest place I've found for these parts is fleetfilter.com, I've had great service from them and I usually order a case of filters and sometimes some of these filter bases. I've purchased so many bases from them I probably should have just gotten a case! Certainly search around and decide which filter you want to use and what business you want to order from.
I think that's the plan. Thanks for the response, great advice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks