• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Prohibition on active auction links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Militoy

Hope this isn't an inappropriate place for this question - but I'm curious what the strategy is behind the prohibition against any comment linked to an active auction? I recently commented on a current GL auction on an item - and the comment was pulled by the moderators. No complaint - I don't have a dog in that race, since it is a regular GL auction and the auction site is too far away from me to be attractive. Just wondering what the specific issue is with mentioning a live auction? I can kind of see the problem with links to a poster's own eBay auctions as a form of free advertisement. But it seems to me a general mention of a GL auction shouldn't necessarily fall under that same catagory - especially as they hold an effective monopoly on the direct surplus market...?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it can be looked at as conclusion for one thing, others feel the the bid will run up and thay can't get something cheap, its the site rules, i don;t like some but not my site

area52

Lets say you comment on an auction for a "XYZ" truck. Its a special truck that is quite rare.

I see your comment on the truck and where it is up for auction and so do alot of other people who might not have see it or gone looking for such truck and that might run the price on it up quite a bit.

Its just part of the rules that the admin say we have to abide by.

Militoy

Lets say you comment on an auction for a "XYZ" truck. Its a special truck that is quite rare.

I see your comment on the truck and where it is up for auction and so do alot of other people who might not have see it or gone looking for such truck and that might run the price on it up quite a bit.

Its just part of the rules that the admin say we have to abide by.
So you are saying that the purpose for the rule is to limit competition on the auctions, to keep the prices from skyrocketing..."If you are looking for something - do your own research, and find it yourself"?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only Chris can speak for what the rule is for.

Anyone else that posts, is only speculating.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think he completely ment it that way, but that can be just one way of looking at it. Discussion, such as with SS, could tend to minimize a bid too. As when somebody starts discussing various points of a particulat LOT, that they preceive a negative. That can minimize the bid - sometimes it doesn't take much to scare off bidders.

So I guess the thinking is just too not discuss currant auctions, and save potential criticism. That is the most fair way to do it. So the rule is: pay your money, and take your chances......

KsM715

So you are saying that the purpose for the rule is to limit competition on the auctions, to keep the prices from skyrocketing..."QUOTE]

No. I see it this way, If there is no discussion allowed then there is no possibility of collusion.

In reallity only one person on this forum knows the true reason for the rule, Chris A.K.A steelsoldiers........The site owner and the rule maker.

When I was new I too thought the rule was about limiting competion and some think that that in itself is collusion,but the more and more it was argued over I came to realize the the rule is in place to keep collusion out of this site. See if you are barred from even discussing an auction then theoretically there should be no chance for collusion to happen. Not to say that members don't use the PM function to discuss whos bidding on what but as long as its not out in the public forums then theres less chance of the site owners getting in trouble for providing a way for members to control who is bidding on what items. For example I've seen members post up a link and then state "I plan on bidding on this and really hope no one else will bid against me" in hopes that everyone on this board will leave it alone and not bid against him.

I agree with what rosco said at the end of his thread. There have been several threads discussing how some certain truck or trucks have missing parts or ventilated blocks that are not shown in the description. That is enough to scare people from even bidding on such trucks, but unless you have personally previewed them or the person making the statement is know to all to be 100% honest all the time you just never know. (theres a thread going on right now calling into question one long standing members honesty and reputation)

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I think it's a good rule here.. I have to wonder though why GL doesn't let us see what our watched items (EUC items) went for. I've watched a bunch of auctions but my work time doesn't let me watch them to the end, by the time I get back to see them, they are disappeared.

3dAngus

No need for this site, nor their owners to risk the Feds breathing down their neck. The use of this site for collusion would be a complete conflict of interest, thus, you cut off the head of the snake before it bites you. IMO, it's a sign of good management...

Collusion definition from Wikipedia:

Collusion is an agreement between two or more persons, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage.[citation needed] It is an agreement among firms to divide the market, set prices, or limit production.[1] It can involve "wage fixing, kickbacks, or misrepresenting the independence of the relationship between the colluding parties".[2] In legal terms, all acts affected by collusion are considered void.[3]
Contents

[hide]
[edit] Definition

In the study of economics and market competition, collusion takes place within an industry when rival companies cooperate for their mutual benefit. Collusion most often takes place within the market structure of oligopoly, where the decision of a few firms to collude can significantly impact the market as a whole. Cartels are a special case of explicit collusion. Collusion which is not overt, on the other hand, is known as tacit collusion.
[edit] Variations

According to neoclassical price-determination theory and game theory, the independence of suppliers forces prices to their minimum, increasing efficiency and decreasing the price determining ability of each individual firm. However, if firms collude to increase prices, loss of sales is minimized, as consumers lack alternative choices at lower prices. This benefits the colluding firms at the cost of efficiency to society.
One variation of this traditional theory is the theory of kinked demand. Firms face a kinked demand curve if, when one firm decreases its price, other firms will follow suit in order to maintain sales, and when one firm increases its price, its rivals are unlikely to follow, as they would lose the sales' gains that they would otherwise get by holding prices at the previous level. Kinked demand potentially fosters supra-competitive prices because any one firm would receive a reduced benefit from cutting price, as opposed to the benefits accruing under neoclassical theory and certain game theoretic models such as Bertrand competition.
[edit] Indicators

Practices that suggest collusion include:
  • Uniform prices
  • A penalty for price discounts
  • Advance notice of price changes
  • Information exchange
[edit] Examples

Collusion is largely illegal in the United States, Canada and most of the EU due to competition/antitrust law, but implicit collusion in the form of price leadership and tacit understandings still takes place. Several examples of collusion in the United States include:
There are many ways that implicit collusion tends to develop:
  • The practice of stock analyst conference calls and meetings of industry participants almost necessarily results in tremendous amounts of strategic and price transparency. This allows each firm to see how and why every other firm is pricing their products.
  • If the practice of the industry causes more complicated pricing, which is hard for the consumer to understand (such as risk-based pricing, hidden taxes and fees in the wireless industry, negotiable pricing), this can cause competition based on price to be meaningless (because it would be too complicated to explain to the customer in a short advertisement). This causes industries to have essentially the same prices and compete on advertising and image, something theoretically as damaging to consumers as normal price fixing.

O.D. Fever

Its a very fair rule, if you do the reserch and no one else does you get it cheap. If you just hang out reading posts and its dropped in your lap and you run off and bid., thats just not right. my 2 cents Joe

I'm glad we don't stoop to GL's level, some of there misleading and crooked behaviors border on criminal. At least as a group we have our integrity, and don't discuss there bleeping auctions.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truth is all importmant

I don't care what is said in this forum about any particular auction. Comments can give one a heads up on possible issues. GL has
the opportunity to address herein or personally, any concerns expressed
on this forum.

I am not accussing GL of purposeful errors and omissions; these will
happen and bidders have the right to expect only truthful and complete information however obtained except to the exclusion of some.

As far as collusion goes it can happen between determined particates
whatever the rule is to try to stop it. It is the auctioneer who must set
a reserve to protect themselves. Shame on them if they don't know
at least an estimated value they will accept.

Merry Christmas,
Orren John Winjum

mcmullag

the names have been changed to protect the innocent

I really agree with the rule for just a couple of reasons that I can think of right now...1) the colusion thing, let's say there are 20 nice M-101 or m-105 trailers at one site on the same day, folks could discuss which one each party was bidding on, everybody plays nice and sticks to their appointed trailer and keeps prices low. 2) The other one is how like the other folks said, you bring attention to an item and now you have broadcast it to so many more potential bidders. Picture if you will...a newbie has been on this site reading for 6 months and now has his or her allowance saved up to spend up to $3,000 on a vehicle. He or she searches far and wide on GL week after week and finds a super nice condition; cucv, or deuce, or M1-A1, or whatever. Now along comes someone else who may already own one of these and just nonchalantly starts discussing the nice vehicle in a thread and points out the vehicle and unwittingly where it is, thread titled "look at this honey". All of the sudden now there are 30 bidders for that vehicle including dealers, instead of maybe 1 to 5 dudes sitting in their underwear in front of the computer on some Thursday afternoon, ready to bid. You have now done homework for other folks with more money sitting in the bank, or room on their credit card who had heretofore not known of said vehicle. Newbie is crushed, and keeps looking...... I'll be okay, no really, it's okay......

Attachments

Last edited:

mhassett

The way I see it, just let me know what you want to bid on and I will be happy to bid right along with you.
That being said, good rule, pleae keep in place.
MHassett

abh3

In some cases it's a really silly rule...

For instance, not long ago GL had a Boeing 747 for scrap up for auction, one that was probably used in the 'extraordinary rendition' (sp?) of terror suspects. I'd posted a link and made some comments about the possible links to that page of our national history and NOT to encourage anyone to bid for the aluminum but the post was deleted anyway. It's pretty ridiculous to think that my post would've suddenly caused someone to decide they need to bid on a huge aircraft carcass and thus run up the bid...

The same idea applies to the occasional sale of big naval gun tubes and other oddball items, that's history headed for the smelter and it'd be nice for our community to be able to share knowledge & experiences before it's gone. These items are going for scrap weight value in a highly competitive arena, no one is going to steal them or pay more than they might've regardless of SS posts!

Sure, I could try to save the images somehow, then post AFTER the auction, etc. but that's not really going to happen w/ most of us... What we really need is a 'history being auctioned' section for the unusual items where we could discuss the historical aspects and personal experiences. Posts about "Man, these A3s are going cheap at Ft. Xxxxx" wouldn't be allowed but a scrap contract for a guided missile cruiser would be. Does that make any sense?

91W350

I am not sure who won them, but there are some 101 and 105 trailers that were sold here in Salina with the axles wired to the chassis. I think that should have been disclosed on the auction, but it was not. They were in the middle of being torn down for rebuild when the plug was pulled on the light trailer program. It would be a bummer to come out from another state with a tow vehicle and learn the trailer is not easily repaired to tow.... If anybody who reads this gets here and needs help, PM me. Surely I can figure out something to help you out. I wanted to post it to warn others, but did not want to violate the rule or be seen as trying to control the auction. I actually bid more than I should have on some of those lots trying to avoid problems for others, but there is a limit to what I can do. Glen

KsM715

Who sets the threshold on whats "regular GL fodder" and whats historic or unusual? Theres stuff out there that some would not bid on but think its pretty neat and want to share and some who think that "pretty neat" is worth bidding on and would rather not see it broadcast. Thats where we end up with the arguing over what post stay and what post get deleted.

Just my 2cents, spend it as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks