• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Ferro Navy M37

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note, when did the Air Force stop using Strata Blue to paint their trucks? I assume sometime in the mid-1970s when the services all adopted the 4-color MERDC camo pattern?

zout

Drivers fender and grille to get sanded down and also the entire box to blast up - once I know I am blasting the box I will get the body paint - frame I will do last. Also my new $372 air compressor motor came today and I had to get that swapped out and onto business.DSCN0403.jpgDSCN0404.jpgDSCN0405.jpgDSCN0406.jpgDSCN0407.jpg

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sure don't give them motors away for good conduct and outstanding photography, do they? Tools, gotta have 'em, if ya want to get it done. Ya just keep rockin, there Commander!

God bless,
Tony

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shiny metal looks so good you may want to just clear coat the whole thing and forget paint :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Clinto, Where is that Radar Site with the snow?

Sorry, no clue. Was looking for strata blue truck pics and found somebody's album on the g503 photo albums. He had a lot of USAF pics so he might know. I can find it again and see if I can get you come contact info if you'd like.

zout

Carter - great question BTW. Here is my best attack answer.
Cab is not going to get removed - so all the chassis under the cab will have to be sprayed selectively.
Rear chassis that has the box removed will get sprayed while the rear of the cab is papered off (because this will have already been in paint). And this done after I blast up the frame.

For under the cab - it will be easier for me to either paper off open areas and or spray a water borne masking on the body areas that can be washed off so there is no overspray on any of the painted body parts.

Either way - I would have to mask the chassis to paint the cab or mask the body to paint the chassis. Only the under area from back of cab to the nose.
Hope this helps.

Fender/grille should all be done tonight and into bare metal 2k primer. Then I'll pop the hood and get the seams and engine area masked off. Then onto the box blasting.

zout

Your welcome.
If this helps here is the overspray masking agent I use. When I know I am just too close to get this on to areas I do not want masked like just end of inner fenders to frame that will get sprayed a different color I brush it on.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-overspray-masking-liquid-06854-15-gallon.html

I do not pressure wash this stuff off - I use the garden hose with the very light spray (remember we're using a water based paint and fresh on top of it).

Hopefully before leaving for CAMO Friday I can finally get at least something done to the 37 - this one seems like I am in slow motion.

Carter

I need to get my head back into the restoration end of this hobby, I have another truck that needs work and I did not know such a product was available. Years ago when I did my trucks painting I could have used a product like this, thank you for bringing this to my attention. This will be a big help on the one I am about to start.

zout

Product originated for spray booths to make cleanup easier. Hobbiest use a simular version of this for detailing models.

I have seen it used by artist air brushing. If you are carefull enough you can spray this on - use an exacto knife and cut out patterns just like stencils - then remove the entire product by washing and WA LA - there is your stencil painted and everyone will think you busted your butt doing it.

zout

Adam - got done what I wanted to get done plus a little more.
You might want to consider getting a piece of hood welting with the rivets to replace the one MIA on the rear of the hood to cowl - this flipping around wears and thins out the metal on the hood - your call.

Here is what gone done - I also went back and ground out more of the deeper rust just to make sure no more flakes were laying in the areas.DSCN0408.jpgDSCN0409.jpgDSCN0410.jpgDSCN0411.jpgDSCN0412.jpgDSCN0413.jpgDSCN0414.jpgDSCN0415.jpgDSCN0416.jpgDSCN0417.jpg

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We love high build primer :)

sweeeeettttttt

I'm count Swiss and I approve of this great restore

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adam - got done what I wanted to get done plus a little more.
You might want to consider getting a piece of hood welting with the rivets to replace the one MIA on the rear of the hood to cowl - this flipping around wears and thins out the metal on the hood - your call.
I will order one tomorrow. Probably should get the fender welts too huh?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks