• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project heading to the scrap heap!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well gang, it looks like my M756A2 project truck might be headed to the scrap heap. Between the lack of funds, time and patience, I might part ways with the thing. I found a deuce wrecker thats got my interest and dulled my enthusiasm in the pipeline truck. Another factor is there are a few folks needing parts for their pipeline trucks and the offers to buy the rare pieces I have are getting too generous. If I scrap it I'll probably offer the whole lot and whoever buys it can take what they want and I can scrap the rest. I've got some tough thinking ahead.
Kenny

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This might be an opportunity for sombody to have everything to convert your own truck to a pipeline truck. Much easier than fixing this thing.

Longhunter7

Choices, Choices!

Kenny,

Well, that sweet little Deuce wrecker is calling to you! You don't see too many of those around!

I know what I would do..........send a picture of the Deuce wrecker when you get it! :wink:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you should save the bed, since that's what the M756 was all about anyway, an add-on feature. It's almost complete, isn't it?

If I had funds I'd offer to buy the whole thing, although it would be a while before I could get down there again...

Bjorn

rdixiemiller

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Deuce wreckers are reall cool! The pipeline truck is neat, but I don't know how useful unless you own an oil field. The wrecker, now.....
You could be the most popular guy in the convoy!
Your pipeline project looked like a good bit of work, since you really only have a body. The cab is shot, no power pack, front axle, brakes, etc.
Maybe this is the best bet. Find someone who wants to build a running deuce into a pipeline truck. Let them experience the fun!!!
Now, any pics of the wrecker? Would you have to sell the little tractor to get it?
Inquiring minds want to know!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm working on the details now. I won't sell the little tractor at all. I may have to sell the expandible trailer and maybe even a generator or two. I've never raided the family checkbook for a deuce but might start looking that way. This might make some folks gasp but long term, the wrecker would have to be repowered with a multifuel. I'd add a pic but don't have time to figure out how right now.

CGarbee

You know, last year during the leg of the East Coast Convoy from NC to MD (and back), we had a M816 5 ton wrecker with the Cummins engine in it bringing up the rear... Folks who participated in the convoy to the show in Aberdeen might remember my telling them that as long as the wrecker was behind them, they were ok... It was great having it along! Brandon got to use it to load some things for folks at the show (Bjorn gets busy loading things for folks with his cranetruck as well...) and managed to tow a few of us during the trip as well...

I want one as much as a M817 or M51A2, but I just don't have the funds... A 2.5 ton wrecker would be a blast to have as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'd love to get the little wrecker but it's just not that easy. I'm pretty determined so that will help a bit. I'm sure I'll get thrashed for it but repowering to multifuel sounds appealing. I wished it were the M60 variant but I need to be thankful that I found thins one. It's the M108 version. Wanna see a pic? Here goes......

Attachments

FSBruva

Kenny-

I forgot... how complete was that rear winch on your pipeline truck frame? Could you add it to the M108 at make an M60 franken-deuce?

Matt

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be able to. I would need to add a power divider so that I could operate the hydraulics or winch. The rear winch on the M60 is the same as a winch off of a 5 ton. I don't need it that bad and I need to liquidate the pipeline to finance the wrecker. Time's running out so I hope I can close the deal fairly soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, thats the plan! I was thinking of painting it 24052 if I get it. USMC green with a Seabee stencil on the doors. If I get this thing, prepare for more of my notorious piggyback pics. I'll go fetch it with my tractor and piggyback it to the yard here. I'm trying to generate to gonads to advise my wife. Honestly though, she should be happy, right now she has to stare at the remains of the pipeline truck in the yard.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some purists might be offended by it since it's kinda rare. I'll guarantee that the gov't repowered at least a few of them in the late 60s or 70s. It's going to have to work around here so eventually Multifuel it would be if I get it. BTW, if you talk to Bruce, just tell him to keep that depost for his troubles. I feel terrible about the whole thing. Still want that M105 trailer?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
at first there was no wrecker in the 2 1/2t reo truck line,(relying on the 5t wrecker) the 108 was origanaly deseigned as a bomb handling truck, but it was found that it made a SUPER light duty
wrecker, so then the m60 was developed

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you want to add a winch on the rear, why not tap into your hyd. that power the crane, and hyd, drive the rear winch. i think thats what im going to do to my 819, put a rear winch in the frame under the fifth wheel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks