• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Off-Grid M109A3 w/w log

wsucougarx

Hi Tahoe- I had no problems what so ever getting base decals on her. Due to her age, didn't require an emissions test. They categorized her as ORV. Thanks for the compliment!

Televisionman- Just have to keep your eyes open for the cable. The guy I got it from had only the one cable. Remember it has taken me nealy 2 years to find this one

wsucougarx

After much thought I finally came up with the decision to buy a M105A2 cargo trailer for this project. I actually just won this trailer exactly 17 minutes ago. I pondered a M200a1 w/some sort of bed on her but decided on this instead. The trailer in itself was made in 1985 with an unused brand new bed on her. She also has a brand new set of Titan T-Hawk, brand new cargo cover to boot and brand new fiberglass side racks. It looks like this trailer was just rebuilt in SEP09 and put out to pasture. I have many plans for this trailer to compliment G&C.
I am going to put a spare tire winch from a deuce on the undercarriage. ( http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/36935-spare-tire-mount-105-a.html )I also plan on putting a 5 ton series tool box on the opposite side. I have two M818 behind the cab tool boxes to mount on the rear just behind the tires.
I have a 3k military generator that will be mounted in her as well. More details to follow when i get around to it;-)
This is all in the planning phases. The last couple pics are from a fellow SS. The ideas come off of his project.
I am also playing with the idea of adding duals in the rear. Need to measure and make sure it's under the max legal width of 8'6" though. Will also need to extend the flares out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

auaaua can't make the last 2 bigger...need bigger pics...:drool:

where did you fing the pics, maybe i can go back and see them?

Great job by the way! love the trailer idea.

wikallen

awesome.

I want to mod my 105 with some flags or something to stick out wider so I can see the dang thing when trying to back it up. The 109 box is too big to see the trailer back there.

I use mine for the 4wheeler, generator, and anything else I need to carry that does not need to be inside the camper.

wsucougarx

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Work on the 109 is at a slugs pace. Have had a number of other tasks that have pulled me from the project. Presently I'm working on the port side of the van box. I've pulled the panels to reveal two comparments were full of stagnant water. Outwardly there was no indication I had a leak, no rust on the panels nor any water leaks.
I secured a couple parts for her. Snagged a couple of used metal wiper motors. I've taken them apart and they work flawlessly (those plastic wiper motors are junk). I also secured a set of aux driving lights from atankersdad. Got a replacement pinion seal enroute for the front axle so I can get her back on the road.
I contemplated the electric A3 wipers but decided against it. It didn't follow the KISS principle.

14MAR11
Since I will be building a heavy duty roof rack of sorts, I thought it would make sense to add some reinforcement to the cab. I bought two cab reinforcement kits today off ebay from a fellow SS. It wasn't something I had the budget for, but with the flooding of these kits on the market I figured it was time to pick one up before they go up in price. I've been looking for a couple years so it was time to bite.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

M105A2 Trailer Recovery Post:

Instead of posting this in a separate thread I figured it was more fitting to place it within this thread. As this trailer is going with this project. Most of all the details are printed above. Found this trailer was actually completely rebuilt from the ground up in Europe, then shipped to JBLM where it spent a couple years with the 82nd MED BDE. Apparently this trailer was never used. In fact the rear rack was never taken out of the side rack brackets. The CARC is completely untouched. Recovery went well. No spoils came with this trailer:( Luckily forklift damage was at a minimal. Found the rear landing leg is crammed up into the trailer. Ah nothing a 2x4 can't fix.
When I entered my hometown, I took all the backroads as to avoid the attention of this nosey town. The local LEO saw me and apparently radioed his partner who was on a parallel street. Well, I got followed home only to answer the typical questions. Where did you get that? What are you going to do with that? Why did you get that? etc. Funny thing is, he mentioned his partner called it in stating "The guy with the Army trucks has a nice looking trailer, you ought to check it out". So after trying to remain low key, I find I'm probably at the top of their watch list;-).
Ahh, time to locate myself into the country.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

To tow behind your camper? How's it going to be outfitted? General use, or something more specific?
Hi Jess, this will be the designated trailer for this 109 project. I plan on using it to carry supplies, gear, fuel, tires, and the 3kw military generator I got for this project. It'll basically be my portable overflow/storage unit of sorts. I have a couple toolboxes I got from Brad's off of a M818 and M813. I am going to incorporate them into this platform to haul more gear.

Mike,
ya need any other cables?
Hi Dan, not sure if I need any more cables just yet. I'm trying to source some BNC connectors at the moment. Whatever RG-213 I have left I'm going to go back and replace that spaghetti thin military coax cable.

WSU - SALUTE
great looking rig and you have done a great job to make it into what you want it to be.
Thanks Zout, there's so much more I wish I could do. Time and money seem to be the shortcomings so far. Oh well, moving at a snails pace is better than not moving at all;-). Got about 12 projects going at once on this one...no wonder nothing seems to get done...haha

Danger Ranger

OK, I have failed at searching....what are the interior dimensions of an m109 box?? The exterior ones are easy to find. Is it safe to subtract the wall thickness, say, 2 or 3 inches (what is the wall thickness?).

P.S. I love your truck, the mic sys is amazing!

zout

What is $$$$$$$ - keep the progress and pics rollin in - great seeing your work - if you find the $$ tree let me know I could use a limb

timass1

OK, I have failed at searching....what are the interior dimensions of an m109 box?? The exterior ones are easy to find. Is it safe to subtract the wall thickness, say, 2 or 3 inches (what is the wall thickness?).

I believe W-7.5ft by 12ft interior dimensions. The walls are 1.5ins thick. Roughly speaking but somewhat accurate. I'm sure someone here can be more accurate.

wsucougarx

Hey guys thanks for the compliments. My project has once again hit another bump in the road. The funds I had saved up for the van got spent on a new home built computer. My previous computer of 8 years blew a gasket in DEC 2009. After putting the computer off for 15 month it was time.
I haven't accomplished too much in the past month or so. I'll get a couple pics up soon.

Just in case we have a few techies in here. Here's what I've built:

Pentium Quadcore i5-2500k
Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard
EVGA GTX 560 ti overclocked Maximum Graphics Edition
8 gigs corsair of ram
120 gig Solid State Harddrive
1 tb WD Black mechanical hardrive
Samsung 24" HD LED monitor
Corsair HX 1000 Professional power supply
Cooler Master HAF X Tower

Last edited: