• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Time Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

bout another week of my spare time pounding metal and I will have your pics - they might not be up to your par of proffessionalism in metal bending - but don't think you'll be disappointed either.

Spare time I have to look for a right rear axle hub for Dingers chassis.

zout

That right rear wheel hub - I had the three leg pulled and it would still not budge even red hot. I used my air saw and cut through to the keyway - put the puller back on it - heated it again with just a little load on it and about 7 minutes later it came flying off.

You can see on the rearward area of where the hub seats it was corroded on - likewise inside the hub.
Axle saveable and bearing surface is fine - onward to ordering parts - these parts for Dingers are "on" me as I screwed em up.

Dinger got his front left knuckle apart and laid out - the kingpin bearing were toast - could feel a lot of dirt up in those bearings - gonna just get both sides bearings while I am at it - besides the wiper and other parts.

Got nothing done on the wife's jeep - it is around 60 out - garage door went open and my mind (what is left of it) went drifting somewhere else.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's a common problem on those rear hubs.

zout

SR - I bought them from DH - paid for the transportation down here and gave one to Dinger and the other to my wife. I am going through my wife's (one that was blue) and helping Dinger with whatever help I may be able to provide him in getting his going and rebuilt.

Gotta get em done so I can get another toy in there

zout

Have a lot of little things to do before placing parts on - hammered some more on the fuel tanks before it warmed up outside - then opened the garage door and played with little parts.

I moved the tanks so you could not peek at them - pics coming later once done.

DH probably remembers what the mirror mount/body area looked like - mirror is trash but got the mount cleaned up and fit into place.

The hauler I believe bent the crap out of the emergency brake lever because in the pics DH sent it was ok. No biggie - just had to disassemble and hammer and tack back together and then mount it.

The new tailgate light mount holes were not drilled for BO - so the drilled worked again.
Trailer elec plug was nearly invisible because of all the paint - got that cleaned up and have the socket soaking in a Sea Foam break away product.

Have the battery trays high speed wire brushed off and soaking in rust preventative. Had quite a few broken off bolts to heat up and remove.

Gonna go play in the sunshine

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember nearly every detail I ever notice on that Jeep and I can see where so much of your efforts have repaired so many little and big things. I smile every time I read these posts and see the pics. I can(an do) really appreciate your work! [thumbzup]

zout

New windshields cut and ready to install - new windsheld seal and ribbon ordered.
New right rear hub-seals-bearings ordered for Dingers jeep
New knuckle upper and lower king pin/spindle bearings ordered for both sides _he has to order the seal kits yet.
New shock coming in for both jeeps along with new brake shoes and hold down pins.
Will get the brake cylinders ordered by end of week for both jeeps as well.

I just have to get my u bolts set ordered for the wife's jeep also.

Spring is Sprung
The Grass is Riz
I Wonder Where
The FLowers Iz

zout

TWM - here is a pic of the tool. It accomodates blades up to 4 inches long - at that length you have to be patient and cut slower - this baby cranks and cuts as you can tell how slick that hub I cut was - at the center of that hub it was 3 inches deep.

Of course my saw does not have the sissified safety latch on it no more - I like to live dangerously.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Zout. That is what I thought you were referring to. Cutting thru that drum was slick so I need to put that tool on my wish list. TWM

zout

The bare chassis jeep is Dingers.

Got his 4 shocks just sat on there to tease him till he comes back to turn wreches on it this weekend.

Got his 4 brake drums in - shoes and pins did not show up yet.
Wheel cylinders still ordered as well.

I got his replacement rear hub for him with the seal kit and gaskets I screwed up - waiting for the bearings to come - also bearings for the upper and lower kingpins on the front for both sides.

Gotta spend the next time down there cleaning - I hate a cluttered area.

zout

I was planning on coating all the brake shoes really good with some good high tac grease on teh pad surface to keep them there brake drums looking shinny and making the shoes last a whole lot longer for em [thumbzup]:jumpin:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe use some Shinola for a nice glossy black finish...

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a true story. We have a guy here at work that has one of the big jap crotch rockets. Almost everything on it is chrome. He got the brilliant idea to chrome his front brake rotors. Needless to say they were only on the bike for one very short ride. The rear brake is the only reason he didn't wreck it.:cookoo:

zout

I remember that back in the mid 60's building choppes - guys would come in thinking they got a deal from a chome shop - also had a few frames done - I forget what gas has to be removed from the chrome to harden it !!

Even guys took the rubber sections out of their brake lines and replaced them with steel lines - till they forgot they had to flex and did not absorb energy making them stop with more pressure to the pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks