• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Time Once Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

zout

Loaded up the paint gun and got some of the other items painted - really nice out and about in the mid 70's.
Yes - the tape is still on the taillight lenses.

Got 2 new windshields made and waiting for the seal and lock strap to get here to pull them in with a rope.

Attachments

zout

Thank you - most of my day when Dinger is here is assisting him in reassembly of his. He is learning - but there is such a varity of little things to learn upon the way - timing marks - what came out in what direction and how were items stacked - you know what I mean - I tinker on the wife's a little while I have him going.

He is doing an awesome job on getting it back together - cannot wait to get SOME 16 INCH RIMS FOR IT SO I CAN GET THE TIRES MOUNTED.

I have been looking but ain;t no way I will pay almost 200 per rim - any ole 68 jeep steel rim will surfice 16".
Then I can get started on his tub that was donated by Clinto - I am sure he is standing by to see how bad I can cobble it up.

zout

Get a price only on them SR if you can - thanks for the offer. I bet freight back to here would just about rob the engine rebuild fund tho.

Gonna see if I can finish up the little things on the wifes tub and get the gargage re-arranged and the front clip of her's moved in and get it stated.

Dinger will be here in a little while and I need to get the RR axle put back together and shoved up the hole.

If there are any worth while pics I will post them later on - besides me :beer: or a pic of a :beer: laying around 8)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout you are making some of the CAMO Crew nervous with your most excellent work.

We are afraid we will have to go back thru all the vehicles we've saved and fix up what we "cobbled up"!!!
roflroflroflrofl

zout

I don't see that in the future with what your crew has done - I have been there - touched it and just short of licking it - it is all great work to bring parts of history back and save them.
I like hanging around that chief wrench turner down there anyhow - him and I are out of the same pod.

I just happen to have something in my hand and cannot see any other way than just to make it the best I can with what I have - short of restoration and you know how I feel about that kind of work - I hope Deb drives this wild and crazy like we do - to have FUN in it.

---------
DH will get the simple pic of the fuel can holder - it must have weighed 80 lbs with all the paint on it before I found it and massaged it. PB gave Dinger a really nice one for his jeep - and there ain't no way I was going to touch it.

Cannot for the life of me find the 4 long bolts that hold the firewall battery trays - found all the rest of em :roll:
Well - here are some more boring pics.

Attachments

zout

OK - I have all the TM's printed and looked through all of them and there is no seperate pic with the gauges removed.

Below the Speedo and to the left and right there are placements for Blackout lights (red).
When I removed the gauges these 2 holes were covered with circular cove plates - held in with 2 screws were the blackout (red) lights behind these cover plates.

The question as I am an idiot - it seems logical the cover plates should NOT be on there if the blackout lights are installed - all that would happen is you would have blackout lights behind the instrument panel - lot of good that would do.
Do the domed cover plates get installed along with the blackout light or without ???

(and yes I will arrange the gauges as OEM configuration once I get my new wire harness down the road) but I am leaving the bezel's brass - these were so packed with paint - there was no lip to the gauge bezel - just all rounded from coats and coats and coats of thick paint.

zout

I doubt with the rest of the gauges being so close almost closing off the illumination - and the lower side of the dash panel has a lip on the bottom of it.

zout

Thanks to a member here who found some really great rims plus spares for both the jeep - trying to work out shipping details and costs with one of our brokers here - to get them from WA State to Atlants. Thanks SR.

All the brake shoes are in - waiting on the master cylinders to get them together on Dingers Jeep - then we should have the rims here - sent in for sandblasting and powdercoating and I will paint them adn mount the tires so patiently waiting to be on the jeep -

HEY PB - I think I will go ahead mount the other 3 on Dingers Jeep and not just the left front one :mrgreen:

idiocrates

Instrument panel light cover

I can't speak authoritatively on this....but I think the way the instrument cluster backout light worked was by shining the red light out the side of the cover and into the speedometer ....illuminating it with a red glow. My speedo has two clear areas in the side just to the rear of the instrument panel where this light can enter. Also....my caps were loose.....and could be twisted around to illuminate either an upper or a lower gauge depending on what you wanted to check. And you may know this already....but the red light just below the speedo and in the middle of the panel was the high beam indicator....and should have just a round hole visible on the face of the instrument panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.