• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Wild Weasel M1009

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out the nice repair on this piece from the Wild Weasel, I think someone needs some welder training. This is the price that supports the upper core support and the lower core support and gives a place to attach the lower bumper to grill filler panel. This one is officially retired. I bought one of these from the K5 guy. He told me not to send people his way he had had nothing but trouble from people wanting parts. I met him when he was looking for an OEM Blazer gate. View attachment 909326
Well it should last a while. The patch weighs more than the entire stock part. That puts the grille and front end out of balance. That piece had got to be recycled.
Heat and wire speed were spot on!! A grinder and paint make me a welder I ain't.

87cr250r

It doesn't have a boot on its slip joint. My M1008 broke it's transfer case when the front driveshaft slip seized. Lots of BS terminology in the add.

cucvrus

IMG_0409.jpegIMG_0410.jpegIMG_0412.jpeg
The new aftermarket driveshaft have arrived. It looks great to me. The owner ordered it and sent it to me so I am not sure where it came from but it looks great with all new U joints. It is made over seas. Like I said in the past if it fits, and works that is what you get at this stage of the project. They want $300. to retube it and balance it. That did not include new U joints. Have a Great Day and Be Safe,

87cr250r

Are the splines coated to prevent corrosion? I broke my transfer case because the splines on my front driveshaft seized due to corrosion.

I do recommend using polyurea based grease for splines. They're shear stable which means the oil doesn't separate from the thickener when spun like a centrifuge. Lithium greases don't like this application. Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty is the only polyurea grease available at your auto parts store. Works great for wheel bearings, too.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the splines coated to prevent corrosion? I broke my transfer case because the splines on my front driveshaft seized due to corrosion.

I do recommend using polyurea based grease for splines. They're shear stable which means the oil doesn't separate from the thickener when spun like a centrifuge. Lithium greases don't like this application. Lucas Xtra Heavy Duty is the only polyurea grease available at your auto parts store. Works great for wheel bearings, too.
Any thoughts on where to get a new slip joint boot? Mines getting to be in rough shape so probably worth a replacement, but they don’t seem to be easy to find.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any thoughts on where to get a new slip joint boot? Mines getting to be in rough shape so probably worth a replacement, but they don’t seem to be easy to find.
I've gone with some boots from a shock...I think it was rancho if I remember right...I just cut it down to length since it was to long...I used the steel cv boot clamp to hold it on kinda like the stock style one on them but the loop style so I didn't have to find the exact size.

87cr250r

Honestly, I have freed up the driveshaft and beadblasted the ends. The splines are almost completely wasted away. I don't trust it so I plan to replace it soon. I was planning to let the driveshaft shop do the hard work of finding a boot or use that blue coating modern assemblies use.

This truck has spent all of its life at Fort Hunter Ligett and the inland part of the SF Bay Area. It has not existed in a severe environment.

cucvrus

I personally prefer the driveshaft without the boot on it. I tend to over maintain so I never have any issues with stuff that requires grease and oil. That boot has always been an issue. I still have 1 OEM boot and last one I sold for $100. because someone wanted one. I bought them for a few restoration projects, and I paid a good deal for them at the time. That was 25 years ago. I had more booted drive shafts worn out then the unbooted. My son off roaded a lot and they used a motorcycle tube and just changed it every time they greased the driveshaft. It kept the sand and mud out of the splines. Not 100% but it helped. Have a Great Day.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get under there with a micrometer and get the diameter in millimeters. I bet you can order a fork gaiter for a motorcycle that'll be pretty close to the correct diameter. Just keep an eye on it, 'cause they don't make 'em like they used to.

vanaisa

our shops sell boots, that are kind of universal - you cut both ends to correct sizes. Sure you have similar products.
hose
But yeah, if you grease those splines in right intervals, they last great time without boot.
Installed front propshaft on my ´74 Cherokee Chief 13 years ago and splines are in good order.

cucvrus

I received the sway bar drop brackets from Rough Country IMG_0458.jpeg
No time to waste here in PA I went out and installed them immediately. IMG_0457.jpeg
More later. It is nice and dry out today. Extended brake hoses are next. I could choose anything I want to do on the front of this project but I am trying hard to make my moves count. The worse part is a lift kit and the cobbled up work an unknowing done to this poor unfortunate M1009. All thru the never we must go.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those sway bar extensions work good! Does rough country sell the extended lines too?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I don’t know about Rough Country selling brake hoses. The owner is sending me all the parts as I need them. I refurbished a set of front outer bumper brackets. Some genius decided that they weren’t worthy. IMG_0459.jpegIMG_0460.jpeg
I also did a filthy job and hand packed the front wheel bearings. I love sealed hub bearings on newer vehicles. IMG_0460.jpeg
It was so much fun I posted the picture twice. I also installed the new front driveshaft and it fit perfect. Have a Great weekend. I will be outside again tomorrow as long as no precipitation is falling from the sky . Be Safe. The sun is going down and I am calling it for today.IMG_0461.jpeg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used those on several trucks! Work great...better pedal feel. I've had to get adapters for the lines to screw in I hope they're the same thread!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news!!! Gotta love sunny days and parts that go together correctly. The set I did were for a jeep I was working on so as usual everything is wrong with those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks