• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Wild Weasel M1009

cucvrus

I have the right inner fender apron installed. Whoever the person was that drilled it for battery boxes must have been stoned. I could have done better blind folded. Now that I have them in place I question if that is why it had riding mower batteries in it. I guess I will find out real soon when I attempt to install group 31 batteries. Oh well I have been tormented or should I say challenged by this M1009. It was a very nice day till someone had to start burning plastic and trash. IMG_0478.jpeg

cucvrus

I added a slave receptacle and a B/O lamp to the core support. That genius that worked on it in the past removed all that stuff and hacked the wires off. Hopefully the owner of this M1009 is smiling and liking my efforts, I am going to start putting the left fender apron in place and race the daylight. IMG_0480.jpeg IMG_0479.jpeg

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great news!!! Gotta love sunny days and parts that go together correctly. The set I did were for a jeep I was working on so as usual everything is wrong with those.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
You ever notice Jeeps are the only thing that has ever existed that use every single size fastener in existence in SAE and metric on one vehicle?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ever notice Jeeps are the only thing that has ever existed that use every single size fastener in existence in SAE and metric on one vehicle?
Yeah they'll use a 3/16 brake line and stick a metric thread on the end that's some weird thing you can't get. It's a jeep thing I'll never understand.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol..I think you need a 2.5 degree angle shims under those springs!!

cucvrus

I removed the axle u bolts and leaf springs from the rear axle. I used the brass brush on the drill and cleaned and lubed the threads IMG_0523.jpeg IMG_0524.jpeg IMG_0525.jpeg IMG_0526.jpeg IMG_0527.jpeg IMG_0528.jpeg IMG_0529.jpeg IMG_0530.jpeg IMG_0532.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg
Good news was the gears were good in the rear. I pulled the axles and called it a day. I will post more progress as it happens. I started work at 0500 and it gets tough when the sun goes down. Be Safe and have fun. Back to do some corrections that my iPhone made. This truck M1009 needs some new rear brakes. The rear drums appear to be bell shaped.

Last edited:

cucvrus

After giving it, some thought I think I am just going to remove the rear axle and do all the work out from under the vehicle. I will just cut the hydraulic brake line and remove the E brake cables and backing plates. It seems a lot more comfortable and safer than working completely under there and trying to do it in the cold. I will spend a minimum, of time getting the hydraulic brake line removed and installed. I also seen some funky wiring at the fuel tank sending unit. These poor vehicles have been raped and mutilated by many people in their lifetime. In my previous post you can see the pink sending unit wire for the fuel gauge hanging down. That is what prompted me to look farther. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. See you in church.

cucvrus

Said CUCVRUS to the little cat.Do you see what I see? A wire a wire attached incorrect with the end dug into the floor , with the end dug into the floor. Way up above the fuel tank little cat. The wire the wire dug into the floor with a job that gets out of sight to fix. IMG_0518.jpeg

cucvrus

I removed the rear axle and the yoke flange. It was easy. The hardest part was getting the old rubber bushings from the shackles. I done it with my bell joint press and a cone socket. Used to burn them out and hate the mess and smell. Second hardest was the brake line to the frame connection. Only a SnapOn flare nut wrench works there. I had others spread and open stripping the flare nut. IMG_0539.jpeg IMG_0540.jpeg IMG_0541.jpeg IMG_0542.jpeg IMG_0543.jpeg IMG_0544.jpeg
And the sun sets on another productive day. I need more parts and also need to get some wood split this week and get it into my basement, winter is coming fast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks