• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project Wild Weasel M1009

cucvrus

Tonight I decided to change gears. This is a typical rear body mount caged nut bracket from an M1009IMG_0253.jpeg IMG_0254.jpeg
It is used to hold the rear body mount in place and secure the caged nuts to attach the rear outer bumper brackets. The brackets were missing on this vehicle. IMG_0255.jpeg IMG_0256.jpeg
After giving this much thought I decided to remove the center bumper brackets as I was going to have to anyway and use a sawzall to get in there and cut the part of the brackets with the caged nuts and the broken 7/16” bolt. I allowed an hour to do this job and I was 99% on time after getting the tools put away and scrapping all the fasteners. IMG_0263.jpegIMG_0256.jpeg
As you can see in the image above there is an issue with the drawbar and Pintle hook mounting.

Attachments

cucvrus

I was successful in getting the caged nut part of the bracelets off with minimal effort. I used extreme care as to not cut thru the wiring harness in the left rear. IMG_0264.jpeg IMG_0265.jpeg IMG_0266.jpeg IMG_0268.jpegIMG_0269.jpegIMG_0270.jpegIMG_0270.jpegIMG_0270.jpegIMG_0271.jpegIMG_0270.jpeg
I think that about covers it. Had I been restoring this I would have removed the fuel tank or maybe the body off frame. I hope this is useful but as you can see it is not hard to get in deep and find things that need attention on these old rigs. Someone unknowingly and uncaring has been at this M100. I hope to make it better.and fulfill the owners wishes. Take Carr and Be Safe. More later as it happens.

Attachments

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those cross bars like to rust bad. Was one of the first things I found nos and bought several. I got some pintle mounts too. Those mounts you replaced would be hard to find I think they're part of the frame? You still have that roller frame?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

I don’t need them caged nut mounts. I will just put a 1/2” bolt facing outwards and nut the bracket on. It is a bit tight in there but can be done fairly easy. When you add energy suspension body mounts to an M1009 you do away with them brackets anyway. I made them draw bars from tubing I bought 3 full lengths and cut them to length. Nice that you have the OEM ones. They are always rusty and weak. I was told that an order came out later in the CUCV years that an M1009 was not supposed to pull any trailers. IMO they were weak from new. They were attached to the center bumper flanges. Take Care and Be Safe.

cucvrus

I came here to post a picture of the core support for the Wild Weasel. I worked till 12 noon and came home directly to get some progress done. I cleaned it washed it and painted it. IMG_0282.jpeg
I want to tap out the bolt holes in the fenders and get this support attached today. Busy busy.

cucvrus

I was able to use the oil cooler clamp that I resurrected after I found it along the road near a tavern at Indian town Gap. IMG_0297.jpeg
I was able to get all the bolts in and the fan shroud is also in place. It was not on the truck when it arrived here. I also installed the grille trim, radiator, engine oil cooler lines and get the radiator semi tight. I think it will sail the way it is. I removed the left front side marker so I could use a nut on the inside to replace the one I had to sawzall out. IMG_0299.jpeg
The trim and core support look good to me. IMG_0298.jpeg IMG_0300.jpeg

cucvrus

My next task is to get the front sheet metal aligned. It is very out of whack. The right lower fender bolt is crooked and stripped JOY. I left the core support to frame bolts loose until I get it all aligned. I could just say F it. But that’s not the way I rock. Take Care. See you in church.IMG_0303.jpegIMG_0302.jpegIMG_0301.jpeg

Last edited:

cucvrus

I waited for someone to show up and put this set of lift kit springs on. I guess they aren’t coming. As much as I hate lift kits I will put it on. It all pays the same. IMG_0305.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg

cucvrus

I exceeded my goal today I only planned on getting the springs on the frame and things went so well that I blocked the axle up and have the Ubolts all tight. Not torqued but tight. I moved along and attached the sway bar to the spring plates. I suppose it needs weight on the springs to get the sway bar attached to the frame. Have a Great Day and Be Safe. IMG_0310.jpeg IMG_0311.jpeg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sway bar is a bear to hook up!! I think they make drop kits to use with a lift kit since they don't like to reach.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used these in the past for lifted ones. Think it lessens the preload on the bar and moves it back a little.