• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pros and cons of Battery Equalizer / Dual alternator

Trango

As an update: My end design and build, with a 24v alternator feeding 2 batteries all equalized by a Vanner equalizer, has worked perfectly. I'm very glad I did it this way - simple to wire, and accomodating of any potential load.

Best,
Bob

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bringing back an old thread.

So if a device can be used as an equalizer or a voltage converter, it sounds like using it as an equalizer is your best interest, is that correct?

I ask because I just got a cooper battery equalizer and was thinking about using it as a 12v converter, but it seems like it would be better to keep the batterys individually maintained.

Any opinions?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter

So if a device can be used as an equalizer or a voltage converter, it sounds like using it as an equalizer is your best interest, is that correct?

I ask because I just got a cooper battery equalizer and was thinking about using it as a 12v converter, but it seems like it would be better to keep the batterys individually maintained.

Any opinions?
I'm not sure if an equalizer is better, but on the M916A1, A2, and A3 trucks, the device is setup as an equalizer. I am in the process of changing my M916 to a 24v starter and will be using a 24v/12v battery equalizer. It will be set up essentially like the Freightliner M916A1/A2/A3s are. Below is what I am planning.

Attachments

rustystud

Any opinions?
You really shouldn't use an "equalizer" as a 12volt converter . The purpose of an "equalizer" is to charge the 12 volt batteries equally from a 24 volt source (alternator). Yes you can do it, but you will shorten the life of the unit. Our transit dept uses "Vanners" exclusively. They are great units but they do have a life expectancy just like batteries do. Ours are suppose to last 8 to 10 years of daily use.

gimpyrobb

The manual I downloaded from the manufacturer said it can be used either way. I was thinking of using it as a converter, but decided it would probably be better for battery longevity to use it as an equalizer. That was the main reason for bumping this thread. I will hook it up as an EQ.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems to me if you use it as an equalizer and pull 12V from one battery, the advantage is you can pull higher amperage than the unit is rated for as a converter. Intermittent, of course to allow the equalizer a chance to replenish the battery.

JasonS

You really shouldn't use an "equalizer" as a 12volt converter . The purpose of an "equalizer" is to charge the 12 volt batteries equally from a 24 volt source (alternator). Yes you can do it, but you will shorten the life of the unit. Our transit dept uses "Vanners" exclusively. They are great units but they do have a life expectancy just like batteries do. Ours are suppose to last 8 to 10 years of daily use.
Why do you believe this will shorten the life? This is what the manual states is normal/ intended operation? Functionally, the battery equalizer is like any other DC-DC converter with the difference that the output voltage is exactly half of the input. As long as you are not exceeding the rated load, there is no problem.

Anything you can do to keep electronics cooler will help. For every 10°C increase in temperature, life is cut by half.

Last edited:

rustystud

Why do you believe this will shorten the life? This is what the manual states is normal/ intended operation? Functionally, the battery equalizer is like any other DC-DC converter with the difference that the output voltage is exactly half of the input. As long as you are not exceeding the rated load, there is no problem.

Anything you can do to keep electronics cooler will help. For every 10°C increase in temperature, life is cut by half.
It was from a question I had asked of the "Vanner" rep. I had wanted to use one for my personal use so I had asked if it was possible.

tim292stro

Why do you believe this will shorten the life? This is what the manual states is normal/intended operation?
When the Vanner is used in equalizer fashion, the alternator charges through the series string of batteries, the equalizer only has to make up the slight difference in the charge basically just powering the loads (recall than in a series string the current wants to go through the whole thing, so in charging/running the 24V stuff you are also charging the 12V battery already - in this way the 12V loads through the Vanner appear to the batteries as a 24V load). When operated as a voltage regulator/DC-DC-converter, it is carrying the entire load of charging+operating 12V loads much like an alternator would. Harder work means more heat, heat+electronics=shorter life.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have any experience relating to Vanner vs Surepower/Cooper when it comes to equalizer/converters?

JasonS

When the Vanner is used in equalizer fashion, the alternator charges through the series string of batteries, the equalizer only has to make up the slight difference in the charge basically just powering the loads (recall than in a series string the current wants to go through the whole thing, so in charging/running the 24V stuff you are also charging the 12V battery already - in this way the 12V loads through the Vanner appear to the batteries as a 24V load). When operated as a voltage regulator/DC-DC-converter, it is carrying the entire load of charging+operating 12V loads much like an alternator would. Harder work means more heat, heat+electronics=shorter life.
I get what you are saying about increased load, higher heat, etc. However, Vanner claims a load current rating in the 60-100A range. If you can't run even modest tens of amp loads without catastrophe, it sounds like a poorly engineered converter or wildly exaggerated capability.

gimpyrobb

I just picked up a 100a Cooper for my truck. I would imagine either should work just fine, they are both big companys. Cooper is owned by Eaton.

I went with Cooper cause I got it for the right price.

skinnyR1

I have a vanner equalizer and I intend to wire it to charge and maintain a 3rd battery. It is switched on and off with the truck. I intend to run a small winch with the 3rd battery and whatever other 12v accessories I want.

If it wasn't for the winch I am going to put I the bed, I'd use it as an equalizer and wouldn't have the 3rd battery.

JasonS

Rusty, After reading the manual for the Vanner and Cooper systems: both are designed for powering external 12V loads. I'd say that your Vanner rep was confused.

rustystud

Rusty, After reading the manual for the Vanner and Cooper systems: both are designed for powering external 12V loads. I'd say that your Vanner rep was confused.
I was asking about longevity, not if it could do the job. The units have a life expectancy of 8 to 10 years charging the batteries. If your using them hard as a power source then the life expectancy will go down. I think any brand of equalizer will be the same. The rep was just telling the truth I believe. That is why I went to a dedicated 12 volt system. 12 volt alternator and separate battery.
Of course if anyone already has a equalizer then I would say use it tell it drops. I actually own a "Vanner" 100 amp unit but decided to go with the separate 12 volt system. I didn't want to be out in the boonies and have the unit crap out on me.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks