• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pros and cons of Battery Equalizer / Dual alternator

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As with any electrical system, they both(alt or eq) could crap out at any time. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

tim292stro

Rusty, After reading the manual for the Vanner and Cooper systems: both are designed for powering external 12V loads. I'd say that your Vanner rep was confused.
You can run a V8 around a oval track for a season, maybe two, or you can not run it as hard in an SUV and only commute to work and it'll last 10+ years. Everything has a design life, yes it'll work, but if you can design you system "smart" your stuff will last longer.

I just picked up a 100a Cooper for my truck. I would imagine either should work just fine, they are both big companys. Cooper is owned by Eaton. I went with Cooper cause I got it for the right price.
Follow the guidance that you should locate the unit outside of the engine compartment hot-zone. Again heat is the #1 enemy of electronics.

rustystud

As with any electrical system, they both(alt or eq) could crap out at any time. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
That is so very true Chris. That is why I carry an extra alternator with me at all times. Actually in my work truck I carry a spare distributor, alternator, fuel pump, belts and hoses, coolant, oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid and all the tools to fix almost anything on the truck. Yes I'm paranoid ! But just because your paranoid "doesn't" mean that they are not out to get you !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks