• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PU348A/G Diesel Generator 5 KW I just got and have questions on.

Humpy

I am trying to upload the pics on a server now, must be about 30 and it is more or less at a standstill. That is why I was offering to send individuals all the pics at one time or in several emails if their system won't take over ten MB at a time.

AZK9

Nice to be able to see all those pics!

Thanks for taking the time and putting out the effort to get them up on the thread! [thumbzup]

Humpy

Was looking at generator today and decided to see if the engine was free so I took a long piece of flat stock and started gently to turn the crank on the gage panel and to my complete surprise it is not locked up. I moved it to 1:00 and back to 11:00 and back to 12:00. Then I started to spray things down with Ed's Red and started tapping here and there with light taps.
I have the screw loose that controls engine speed. The lever that says Raise to Start now has about 1/16" play

Anybody got any idea what a hand crank looks like for the front? Also would it be cranked clockwise or counter clockwise?

I have the starter button soaking. Will start a series of light taps with a 4 oz ballpeen hammer and lead rod here and there. I would assume the crank might be a standard hand crank for a generator of that time frame?

I would like to be able to turn the engine over multiple times before I hook batteries to the starter and put fuel in it.

Humpy

It has a starter which I am sure will be 28 volt. I just want to turn the engine over a couple hundred times to make sure everything is loosened up before I try and crank it. I will probably but Eds Red in crank case to give it a good flush and change the oil out if things start looking positive.

Humpy

More intel, was tapping on it here and there in the dark tonight and spotted a data plate. It says American M.A.R.C MC2 Inglewood, California.
I now have 1/8" movement in the lever that says Lift to Run. Best I can determine the hold up now is linkage that runs down the top of the engine to what appears to be a fuel shut off valve going in top center of the engine. I can't get to it to supply light taps so am soaking it down with Ed's Red.

Update: A couple old vets came by today and picked it up. They looked over the unit and they are going to pull the generator off and rework it and see about getting it going for another old vet for his house. One was a generator mechanic in the Army and he thinks with a fair amount of work he can get it going.

I told them to leave the distribution box with all the outlets on it and I will wire in another generator to use them.

Last edited: