• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pull off's

baja_power

Been getting a little pressure from some of the farm boys around here questioning the agility of the deuce. Some tough guy is saying his International loadstar Grain truck can out-do the duce in a straight pull off. I want to do my homework before I do anything drastic. What do you experts think my chances are and would you chain them up?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loadstar 1700? single axle? You outwiegh and have more driving axles. Just hook that big honking chain, put her in low transfer, first gear, and have your way with him.

Disclaimer... I would not advise anyone to pull against another truck, bad things could happen... :)

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yes adding weight would help, but as the gentleman who has a picture of himself doing a burnout in a deuce for an avatar :lol: pointed out it may mot be the safest use for a deuce.

rmgill

WEight in the bed will help a great deal. If you can get some concrete blocks or better yet, water, that'd be easy to load and dispose of weight. That'll help the wheels get better purchase. Have a bit of fun with him after you drag him around the first time, offer to pull with only the rear wheels.

When you do the pull, be certain you don't use chain. Use nylon tow cords or some sort and don't link two of them with each other via a clevis. If one breaks, that clevis is a large heavy object and at high speed. Better a light nylon tow cord that breaks than chain too.

Oh....get video.... please... :)

OH, wear a helmet! If something comes off his truck....It'll be as bad as a clevis.

Jones

Legal disclaimer(s) as req. by law: "Free advice is worth what you pay for it" and, opinions are like noses; everybody has one". That said, If you're chaining the two trucks together to see who can slide who, another trick is to chain close, and high to yours -- low to the other truck. That way, when you start to pull, the chain will pull your rear-end down and his up. More traction for you, less for the other guy. Make sure he hasn't filled his grain truck too; grain is one of the denser, heavier loads out there.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All else being equal, I have to say that the truck with the lowest gear ratio multiplied by the engine torque will win. And don't spin the wheels.

rdixiemiller

Definately short choke the chain. If he is in a single axle truck, you will win. Air down your tires to about 30 psi. Are you going to pull on pavement or dirt? That will determine a lot.
Be careful.

brgmchevy

If a 2wd vehicle can out pull a 6x6, wouldn't you think the military would've made a 2wd duece instead? Just food for thought. If he thinks he can outpull you try it and find out. Just tell him you'll pull in the mud instead of the pavement! That's were duece's do it!

baja_power

Forgot about airing tires down, makes sense.. I like that

Haven’t put thought into where. I had planned in the parking lot. You think dirt/mud would be giving me an advantage?

red devils dude

dude bad idea I work on a farm, we grow up driveing trucks, some thing like a international Loadstar 1700 or a 1980's
1900 series will kick your butt these thing's have a LOT MORE gear reduction then you'd think I have driven both grain trucks
and deuce's if he know's what he's doing you will just break something and get pownd.

mangus580

Not really so RDD.... he may possibly be out geared (I dont think so with the t-case in low), but running both empty, he will have all the traction in the world compared to the loadstar.... Remember 3 (yes count them 3) driving axles vs 1

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, the drawbar pull is determined by the engine torque multiplied by the gear ratio multiplied by fudge factors related to efficiency of the system etc.
The weight of the vehicle doesn't enter into the picture EXCEPT for the fact that it will keep the tires from spinning.
Smaller tires will give you a higher gear ratio = higher drawbar pull.
If a two axle deuce (FMTV M1078A1) can keep its tires from spinning it could outdraw the 3-axle deuce if its tires were spinning.

If one truck is loaded more than the other, it doesn't change the outcome AS LONG AS THE TIRES DON"T SPIN.
Tire spinning is the key to losing.
Check your TM-8000 for more info on this.

red devils dude

snap :oops: go's a axle, the best he could unless he's in mud is two driving axles and with some weght in the back
a grain truck can pull a JD 8640 out of a ditch(did it a few times) most of the loadstar's run 5.88 rears with a 7.01 first and two speed axle
(we have one at work) first gear with the pedel on the floor is a slow walk we load them up with 20,000lbs yes 10tons of potato's
and drive them though the mud those trucks are amazing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
Check your TM-8000 for more info on this.
I urge everyone to download this TM. The paper ones sell on Ebay pretty cheap too. It's like the intro to everything. Ever wanted to know how a Detroit Locker works? It's in the manual. It's like 17mb but worth it, especially to the novice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks