• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pull off's

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the numbers:

300 x 5.02 x 2 x 6.72 x 0.85(fudge factor)
______________________________ = 10,120 lb
1.7 (tire radius)

The engine torque is about 300 lb-ft.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce's engine torque is not much to brag about (300 lb-ft). I'm not so sure that the two axle FMTV M1078A1 couldn't out pull the deuce. It's cat engine has a torque of over 800. Don't know the gear ratios, though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a blue million factors that play into this! Mostly it's finesse! The skill of an experienced tractor puller is evident when watching competition. Doing a drawbar pull changes things a bit too. Assuming that this would occur on dirt I'll still put my money on the heavier vehicle, especially if it's the deuce with AWD. When I was many year younger our humble off road recovery business had 4 trucks. One was a 79 Chevy shortbed half ton. At least that's what it said. After all the mods and reinforcing the truck tipped the scales at over 7000# empty. When we would play around, that truck would pull any of the other pickups anytime.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest worry would be, snapping a driveshaft, Or u-joint. Or mabye scattering the clutch. IF you loose the one between the tranny and t-case, It could result in your death!!! Be careful only you know what your truck will or won't take.

red devils dude

Recovry4x4 said:
There's a blue million factors that play into this! Mostly it's finesse! The skill of an experienced tractor puller is evident when watching competition. Doing a drawbar pull changes things a bit too. Assuming that this would occur on dirt I'll still put my money on the heavier vehicle, especially if it's the deuce with AWD. When I was many year younger our humble off road recovery business had 4 trucks. One was a 79 Chevy shortbed half ton. At least that's what it said. After all the mods and reinforcing the truck tipped the scales at over 7000# empty. When we would play around, that truck would pull any of the other pickups anytime.
this is what I was trying to get across among other things.

baja_power

aua why is it that once you try to put a plan into motion and actually do it, all of a sudden his truck is busy hauling grain and wont be able to do it for along time.. but yesterday he wanted to do it Friday.. for some reason there was a sudden grain rush and he wont do it now :roll:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do, don't do it on pavement. My bus is a 1800 international, and I snapped a driveshaft pulling on pavement.

Deuce has 6.00 first, 2 to 1 low range, and a 6.72 axle. That would be a total reduction of 90.3 to 1

Grain truck, 7.00 first, 2 to 1 2-speed rear end(guessing here), and 5.88 gears, giving it a reduction of 82.3 to 1.

So if both are running the same size tire, then the duece has the gear advantage.

With all the axles driving on the deuce, it has about 13,500 pounds of traction.

With just the rear axle driving on a empty grain truck, it will have less then half it's total weight on the driving axle. Not sure how much one of them weigh, but sounds like a losing situation.

Last edited:

marksgarage2

pull off

I have many offroad trucks purpose built for mud. All low geared with big tires. In these contests the strap gets tight and then the pull starts. Then one truck will start to hop when the tires get hot and sticky. Or worse both trucks will start to hop. When everything gets to much traction....BANG... Hope you win, but be ready for carnage. Mark

marksgarage2

axles

I forgot to mention around here the 4wheeling trucks use deuce rears under their trucks with 55 inch tires and no weight. Those axle shafts are not as strong as you think. We break them front and back all the time. One guy even broke a rear one with 5 ton rears under a 79 F250. Pics on misfits4x4.net. So be careful. Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks