• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulled a halftrack with my M818 for the first time

gpp111

I am a WWII reenactor and own a German halftrack (converted post war OT-810) which I use in private battles and at public living history events. My goal has been to have the capability to trailer the track to events when I wish, as compared to always having to use a commercial hauler. I own an M818 and M920, and had a ten ton trailer built that is 24 volt.

After having successfully driven the empty trailer around pulled by the M818 I finally decided to see how the 5 ton would do also pulling an 8-9 ton halftrack. Well, it worked. It is interesting that the performance towing an empty trailer and a loaded one is not all that much different on the highway or on local roads. All M818 owners know their beasts have guts but don't move all that fast. I was fairly pleased with the results and will soon be back on the road for a much longer trip pulling the track. I will not ever use the M818 on mountain roads over the Blue Ridge, the M920 is in reserve for that.a m818.jpg gap14.jpga m818 1.jpg