• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling 2x2s out of stake pockets

michigandon

Oh man do these things got me ticked off! aua I was able to remove one of them by hand. One is busted off flush with the top of the bed, the rest won't even wiggle, let alone pull out. :mad: Tried using a slide hammer with a lag screw on the end, it just pulls right out of the wood. Tried drilling a hole in the wood and then running a bolt through it and pushing up on the bolt with a hydraulic jack. End result, one bent bolt. aua

Have any of you guys ever bought a GL trailer with homemade sides and had to contend with a problem like this? I'm ready to break out the torch and BURN the dammed things out of there (Yeah, yeah, I know it's not wise to heat up CARC!).

The suggestion box is open!
Don

Last edited:

Ripcord01

Put some WD40 in the stake pockets and try use the slide hammer. Vegetable oil? Cooking grease? Cut the stake open and weld it back together? Tough one there Don!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We had one like this on one of clintogf's trucks. I ended drilling all the way to the bottom of it, putting in a super long lag bolt and then prying it out, using a pry bar under the head of the lag bolt and increasing amounts of cribbage as a pivot point (2x4's).

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drill bit is a good idea, but you really need to use a 12" drill bit (1/4" or 9/32). Not too pricey, but they work well.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spade bit or an old style brace and auger. Drill the majority out then either chisel the rest or break it out with a large screw driver.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drill lots of holes, then use a chisel to break up the wood, till it relieves the pressure - short answer: take it out in pieces!

treeguy

Just think of the wooden stake like an axe or sledge with a broken off handle. Like everyone said - take it out in pieces.

On the same subject, my m116 genny trailer has metal bows stuck in their pockets. I noticed a small lip underneath on the trailer pocket that they stop to so I can't insert a block and jack them up and out. A block will only grab the short side in the square hole. I have been habitually spraying them with pb blaster and some will wiggle but there still stuck. Any ideas, heat?

Ridgerunner

Maybe you could drill a hole in it and insert an expandable wedge anchor, Like you would use on concrete. Then use your slide hammer on that to pull it out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell your wife(or girlfriend) that you dropped a big beautiful diamond ring in one of the pockets and then put the stakes in on top to hide it. Get a cold 12pack of Bud and a comfy lawn chair and sit back and watch her get them out....2cents

Oh yeah, leave the keys in your truck/car, cause you may need to make a quick gettaway..

michigandon

Managed to get most of them out by driving a crowbar into the 2x2 with a hammer and prying up. Managed to bust off two more though, :( so that leaves three that I am going to try the "wood bit and chisel" trick on.

michigandon

Drill a weep hole in the bottom of the stake pocket and use a jack and a rod to push it up.
This method will NOT work, because there is a little metal shelf sticking out about halfway down inside the pocket, I guess it's there to keep the stakes from going too far down inside? I tried to get a pic of it, but none of them came out very well. :(

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to do this with 3 stakes. With a 3/8 inch 12" long bit it took probably 35 minutes total. It's very simple and only takes about 10 minutes a hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks