• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pulling tractor with a deuce engine

JasonS

Excerpted from Oliver, Cletrac, Co-op & Cockshutt Tractors Discussion Board - Re: 2-155 cummins conversion I have NO idea if it is accurate.

There are some differences in the 478 used in the Army trucks and the ones used in the tractors. The blocks are the same casting but the tractor engines have a few more holes drilled and tapped in them for the water pump. The heads are also the same casting but the two are machined a little different between the valves. The truck engines have a multifuel injection pump so the pump and plate behind the timing cover and the timing cover is different. Also the timing gears are different on the truck engines and the tractor with the roosamaster pump. Some of the army truck crankshafts are also different. they have two more counterweights on the crank and they are much larger. The rods in the truck engines are also lighter. The intake, exhaust and water manifolds are also different. The oil pump and oil pan is also different because the large sump on some of the army trucks is in the front instead of the rear. I believe the 2 1/2 ton trucks have the sump in the front and the 5 ton trucks have it in the rear. The tractors have it in the rear. The army truck engine can be made to work in the tractors. It just takes a little work. These army truck engines can be Hercules, White or even Continental. They are all the same casting. The truck engines are usually an LD-465 or an LDT-465 or an LDS-465. The 465 is not the cubic inches they are still 478 cu. in. just like the tractor engines.

JOEDEUCE

@ booger , yeah. If you have the rods out , you magnaflux , and resize.... But if your just dropping your pan , its a different story.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And so many guys keep saying "Turn 'em up and blow 'em up!!" which has not been my experience with our trucks. These engines in farm and pulling tractors prove the opposite of that mantra.
Regards Marti

JasonS

It turns out that there are two different TD military blocks. The LD and early LDT blocks that I have are squared off around #6 while the later LDT are rounded on the passenger side with two ribs extending vertically on each side of the frost plug at the rear of the block. The tractor pulling crowd has noted a problem with #6; wonder if the ribs were added to correct a known problem? I'll add pics tomorrow....

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will add that it's a big difference building a high hp engine to pull a sled 300' down the track and building a engine to hold up for road use. Even though the tractor engine is turning high hp and high rpms pulling a massive load, I bet it wouldn't hold up 100 miles down the road at those numbers.

If you'll notice on pulls some people won't even run their tractors to hook up to the sled. They pull it into position with another tractor and won't start the puller until it's time to pull. They will then shut it down at the end of the pull and have it towed off the track.

Heath_h49008

I, for one, have no intention of cranking 4000rpm or turning the fuel up to 300+hp.

But, examining what fails when you do seems a great way to find and address failure modes.

JasonS

It turns out that there are two different TD military blocks. The LD and early LDT blocks that I have are squared off around #6 while the later LDT are rounded on the passenger side with two ribs extending vertically on each side of the frost plug at the rear of the block. The tractor pulling crowd has noted a problem with #6; wonder if the ribs were added to correct a known problem? I'll add pics tomorrow....
Pics attached but don't show the rounded block on the later TD block.

Attachments

TehTDK

JasonS,

The 25 USD pr bolt was for 500-1000 units or less. So the more people that can get behind this the better.

w3azel

Be careful when purchasing these parts. I would even say call before you order and check on the size of the bolt. I purchased an injector for an Oliver 2150 Hercules and it does not look anything like the stock ones.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful when purchasing these parts. I would even say call before you order and check on the size of the bolt. I purchased an injector for an Oliver 2150 Hercules and it does not look anything like the stock ones.
Did the injector fit the engine?

JasonS

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks