• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing a M113 APC?

I know a guy that knows a guy that has an M113 (has external fuel tanks, so either an A2 or A3 version), I am considering trying to buy it (will have to sell a few trucks first!), but what would be the going rate for one of these in running condition? The price he told me seems very reasonable, but my main concern is he said there is no paperwork on it. Since I don't know where it came from that is the main thing that worries me, and would be afraid that without paperwork (the don't have titles right?) that it might be opening up a can of worms to purchase it.

Thoughts?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought very few of them had been released. No paperwork on an armored vehicle would concern me. Especially a currently serving armored vehicle released to the public in very small numbers.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you can see it, get any serial numbers and call a local Military Installation or National Guard Armory and ask them to sent the numbers to the US ARMY Tank and Automotive Command for verification of ownership. And when the guys in a black Suburban knock on your door, you'll know not only will you not be purchasing it, but if you don't spill the beans on where it is, you won't be buying much for the next 10 years or so.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchasing it will probably be easy: Give the seller some money and it's yours. The "reasonable" price may reflect the fact it has no title.

Ask around with vendors of ex military vehicles in your state, such as White Owl Truck Parts Co. in Kinston. You may find there are some vendors in your state that know the ropes for getting titles on ex military trucks.

Getting a title may add value to the vehicle, so give that some consideration as you collect ideas and advise.

Rick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This type of thing typically comes from scrap contracts where some items magically escape the intended demil fate. I'd bite.

I am going to at least try to figure out where it is so I can look at it and figure out a little more about it.

Let's say I CAN get paperwork for it, how much would it be worth on the private market? I am thinking quite a lot...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'd be afraid to even admit I knew of it's existance!

Unless the feller can produce ironclad paperwork from Uncle Sam to him I'd advise you to leave it alone. Even if he HAS paperwork I'd contact the agencies authorizing the release to him and make sure it's legit.

I'm just a worry wart about stuff like that...but it has served me well over time.[thumbzup]

I think the one that sold on army jeeps was a gasoline engine, probably a much older variant M113. Since this one has external fuel tanks it is an a2 or a3, I would imagine if it is an a3 it should he worth quite a lot.

I am going to talk to the guy that knows a guy again in a couple weeks. I asked him about paperwork and he said it is 'not needed', which I don't buy. If there is no paperwork that transfers it LEGALLY to my name, I won't be buying it. I would not want to dump that much $$$ in something that any sane person would not buy (I would eventually resell it)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's easy to request the history through the govt; when they come to recover it you know the seller told a few fibs.....

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to talk to the guy that knows a guy again in a couple weeks. I asked him about paperwork and he said it is 'not needed', which I don't buy. If there is no paperwork that transfers it LEGALLY to my name, I won't be buying it. I would not want to dump that much $$$ in something that any sane person would not buy (I would eventually resell it)
It doesn't need "paperwork" in the normal sense. You aren't going to be paying taxes on it so you can drive it, or titling fees to drive it on the road. What you want is paperwork showing that uncle sam turned it loose legally. I am sure that there is a form somewheres, as that is all the government does is create paperwork.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes armor comes from private companies that got ahold of the vehicles for contracting/development purposes, and SOMETIMES they can sell it legally afterwards. Sometimes they come from police departments that are done using them for SWAT duty, but I'd expect this more for older vehicles like the M75 or M59 APCs, the M113 is pretty modern and I'd doubt any police units would be getting rid of them anytime soon.

There are a few M113 APCs that came in from other countries, but I think most of them are foreign built units that were surplussed out. American-made units are not allowed reentry. Don't ask me why, them's the rules.

B3.3T

armyjeeps.net just sold one of the variants for $29,500.
Not only did it have a gas engine but it was not armored. It was just a transport variant. The value would depend on paperwork, variant, condition and would range from $30K to over $80K. An Italian-contract variant in excellent condition sold two years ago for $130K in MI. The former DuPont M-113 sold in Colorado for $89K.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After talking to guys who had to give up their M114s because they bought they from museums or other organizations that had gotten them without release paperwork, I'd suggest steering clear of it. Sure, it is a dream vehicle (I share the same dream!), but without paperwork, you'll always be looking over your shoulder. I can almost guarantee that you will not be able to get release paperwork generated if it was not released that way. The couple of posts that suggested that some came out to companies or other entities that validly bought them...well, they are correct. However, if this vehicle could be legally sold, they would be asking $100K plus. Ask yourself, why are they asking so little for a vehicle that is worth so much? If it is too good to be true, it probably is. Tread carefully.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks