• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing a M113 APC?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ALSO - there are some armored vehicles that have came off of military ranges, used as targets. These were either sold surplus with a demil requirement, OR they were illegally removed from the range. And if you buy one that has been restored, but had this demil requirement or was removed from a range, you are SOL because Uncle Sam won't care you restored it and invested $30K of your own money - he will require you to cut it into pieces.

L1A1

ALSO - there are some armored vehicles that have came off of military ranges, used as targets. These were either sold surplus with a demil requirement, OR they were illegally removed from the range. And if you buy one that has been restored, but had this demil requirement or was removed from a range, you are SOL because Uncle Sam won't care you restored it and invested $30K of your own money - he will require you to cut it into pieces.
There was a scandle back in the 1990s involving a well known MV parts dealer, unscrupulous range officers at an Amry base. Made National news.

Like others have posted, if this was actually an M113A2 or A3 variant, it would be selling for north of 80k & not in the low 30s like an FV432 Trojan. AFVs don't come with titles-just release paperwork & they rarely come with that. 'Cause they're rarely ever released.....

Again......Like others have posted this "deal" seems to good to be true. I know it's been said "that with great risk, comes great reward".... But has anyone ever thought that "with great risk, comes the chance for catostrophic failure?" Even at 30k, it would be a (very) expensive lesson to learn if Uncle comes & reclaims his toy...

Matt

wgtactical

Sometimes armor comes from private companies that got ahold of the vehicles for contracting/development purposes, and SOMETIMES they can sell it legally afterwards. Sometimes they come from police departments that are done using them for SWAT duty, but I'd expect this more for older vehicles like the M75 or M59 APCs, the M113 is pretty modern and I'd doubt any police units would be getting rid of them anytime soon.
The 1028 program provided an opportunity for the receiving party to resell equipment where the revised 1033 program done away with that provision. Years ago, SECO in Augusta had lots of M114's and other tracked military vehicles that they were cutting away the top portion of the armor and selling the lower portion as their 'wood tiger cub' (that is still in service with some utility companies today) One of my M114s came from there as a rolling hull with the sides cut out, which I imagine was the demil requirement at the time [thumbzup]

Carlo

This type of thing typically comes from scrap contracts where some items magically escape the intended demil fate. I'd bite.
I've seen 113's in Germany with the same conditions. They should have been scraped and some "slipped" by. But in this cases the scrap yard paid. Here there are laws protecting the buyer who knew nothing of the agreement the USA army made with the scraper.
I would need more to pass on a 113!

militaro

I agree with all the previous comments. For sure it's not a M113A3 deffinitely not! Around 30K$ Impossible, I import 2 M113A2 from Luxamburgh last year. They were on a firing range so I need the glacis of one to weld on the second one! A M113A2 sold for around 80K$ right now on the private market, Thank's to the demil program all around the world! I imported mines to Canada, pain in the ass for control goods programs(Canadian version of the ITAR) BUT AT LEAST I HAVE ONE!!! You can see the project on Facebook just write "militaro"
:D