• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing an M35A2 - probably

g2065g

I went and looked at the truck this afternoon. He told me ahead of time it needs a wheel cylinder, a couple of brass fittings for oil return line, injector line and ferrule(one is leaking).

He showed me those things and hopefully it is not the IP itself and just the line and the other things mentioned. It looks like a few minor seeps here and there but otherwise nothing major. He is going to run it for me and drive it at least slowly so I can see that it does run/drive. Also needs batteries and a few tires, though he said he had a few tires he would throw in. Both front windows are cracked, but the glass does look easy to replace. Soft top seems in fair shape. The headache rack is possibly sold. He may have a heater unit I can buy from him also, doesn't have one in it. Body and bed are pretty straight. Needs headlights, both missing. Seats are fair. Also he said he'd tow it for me. Overall I think it is a good starter truck for me and hopefully it works out.

image_4.jpgimage.jpgimage_1.jpgimage_2.jpgimage_3.jpgphoto 1 (2).jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 2 (2).jpg

I started taking pics of the underside and my phone died so this is what I got. If I end up with the truck I'll post more =). The only way I will not be getting this is if there is an issue with the title/registration.

Dipstick

As long as it runs okay (with the exception of the leaking wheel cylinder) it's a good buy at that price. I've seen some pretty rough Deuce's going for double that. You can always count on our fellow SS members for solid advice when you need it. Good luck!!!

g2065g

No title. And he doesn't know if he has the sf-97 or what paperwork he has. I realize I may not be able to title it which is why it is only a maybe I am getting it.

If the licensing place says no way then I may still buy it and part it out for some experience working on one(or at least taking it apart). Plus I should be able to make my money back I would think fairly easy. It is a pretty straight truck and if it starts/drives when I look at it this week the only thing wrong with it is the 2 leaking lines and a wheel cylinder really.

We'll see how it goes this week with the paperwork and the test drive.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No title. And he doesn't know if he has the sf-97 or what paperwork he has. I realize I may not be able to title it which is why it is only a maybe I am getting it.

If the licensing place says no way then I may still buy it and part it out for some experience working on one(or at least taking it apart). Plus I should be able to make my money back I would think fairly easy. It is a pretty straight truck and if it starts/drives when I look at it this week the only thing wrong with it is the 2 leaking lines and a wheel cylinder really.

We'll see how it goes this week with the paperwork and the test drive.

No title? I'd walk away. Parting a truck to get back $2800 is a lot of hassle in my opinion. You'll want to make a nice profit for all that work.

g2065g

I talked to him a little while ago and he says it had a title at one point, he has a copy of it. We are going to see it run/drive tomorrow and then go to the licensing place with the paperwork he does have and see if I can register it and get a title.

If it runs/drives other than what I have mentioned am I paying too much for the truck? I think I will need tires sooner rather than later, the injection line I found for about $50, wheel cylinder ~$35. No luck finding a fuel return line yet though.

I'll post back tomorrow after the test run and the licensing office visit.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he had a title and has a copy, he should be able to get a new copy of it with little issue.

g2065g

Right. That is what I figured. If it has been titled ever, then I should be GTG. I am hoping that it runs and drives. Obviously it cant get up to speed with no brakes. I'll just have to roll the dice there. It should be a good learning experience either way.

g2065g

So I talked to the Licensing place today. It had a title with the Dept of fish N wildlife. They sold it to the guy I am buying it from. The DFW just has to sign a release of interest and I will be able to transfer it and get the title. We jumped/started/drove it. He went through all the gears though just let the clutch out enough to lug the motor a bit in the higher gears. Sounded good, didn't seem to smoke much. Engaged the front end and showed me a few things on the truck. I saw the leak from the injection line. It appears it is coming from the line itself and was just a slow drip. The return line was much less but it does leak. He is giving me 3 tires on rims and letting me keep the others so I have a few good rims/tubes anyways. The tail lights came on but didn't blink(flasher i will assume). The headache rack is gone. He is going to tow it for me two weekends from now so I will have something to do after the holidays. Hopefully have all the kinks worked out by early spring.

He has a few other things he is selling. How are these prices? High/low/avg?
complete winch for $1200.
cab with hard top (both white) for $500 looks nice but rear window cracked
New in crate canvas I "think" he said $300. Not sure if that is with the bows and all that. Whatever comes in the crates.

Thanks for any input / advice.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man, winch and a hard top available too. You got yourself a potential project. Get the paperwork straightened out and
you'll have a nice truck to play with. Keep us posted.
JC

Hainebd

Another Deuce saved from the scrapper. I would not part it. There are fields full of deuces rusting away. Have fun with it and those few things, double it to be safe. I think for $2,800 the winch should go with the truck.

Hainebd

Depends. It is like finding a 66 corvette in a barn for $500. I gave $1,500 for my M35A2. It was driven to my house. So you can still barn find. Still think winch should be on the truck. That is my 2 cents. No my truck had no winch when I got her. Parted one together with 80% new or NOS parts for $1,500. Only used part are the PTO lever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks