• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a Deuce to work for me?

bottleworks

I'm not sure if NC has the "Collectors plate" like I have seen some say they register theirs as. I have a feeling if it is being used for business purposes, it would need to have a "Weighted" Tag, just like I will need to get for my dually if I pull the Bobcat with it.
You are looking at using it for business. You can't use "collector plates". You need commercial weighted plates. Sounds like you need on the safe side of ~28K of weight. That will cost you roughly around $400 a year. Plus commercial insurance. Yes, you need a CDL - you're using it for commercial. A DOT physical goes along with that...At least every two years to have and keep your CDL....

If you're using it everyday, the NDCC tires will wear out quickly....You will have to buy 10 tires. Have you ever changed a split rim wheel/tire?

Chapel Hill? That's where I grew up and still work.

jpcj-7

In Ohio you need a CDL if the weight *rating* of the truck and trailer is over 26,000lbs. Also think long and hard about trying to load your Bobcat in to a deuce, it is very high off the ground it could get dangerous real fast. You would need to always back it on to keep from flipping it. It looks like you have a nice Bobcat though, we started our business with a 873 and a 4wd tractor many years ago. Now we have many machines including; S300, T300, MT55. But I have never tried to haul one in the bed of a deuce, a trailer behind the deuce works well though. Remember you don't need to spend a bunch of money on a trailer a trailer. One with air brakes would be nice, but you could probably get away with less of a trailer for now unless your going to be hauling a dozer or hoe right away. I would recmmend getting a trailer with at least 10,000lbs gvwr, but a bobcat trailer with two 7,00lbs axles (14,000lbs gvwr) you could always use. Just put a pintle hitch on it and brake controler in the truck and you would be all set. Didn't mean to write this much, but that is my 2 cents! Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Lance

MOGSTER

I used my Unimog out in California to haul fertilizer up into avocado groves and other supplies wear most trucks could not go.It was worth it just for people to say what the heck is that.

maplehillfrm

"I would need to build some long ramps for sure. I'm guessing I would have to have some kind of support in the middle.----"

hey, at least you are pondering options, thats good,, with the kind of weight the bobcat and tractor weigh,, do you realize how HEAVY you ramps will need to be? at the lenght you would need and width you are talking way heavy,,

man that tractor looks like it would go thru anythng,, what do they call them, rice tires?

I would keep my eye on ebay, I see trailers the size you need go from 700 - 1500 ,, some higher of course, but you dont need a show room condition trailer at this time,, just someting that will haul the weight,,

as far as cdl, it is the combined gvw of the truck and trailer, what is printed on the tag as GVW,, that is the number dot will go by,, it doesnt matter if the vehicles are registered for less to save money on fees, they will look at what theyare capable of hauling,, and yes if you need to go cdl you will need a medical card,maybe log book [depending on milage and states run] you will probaly need a USDOT number as well since you are going to do it as a business with your name on the door,, anything over 10.000 lbs requires one,,

I just want you to be prepared for the paperwork, numbers, extra $$$ the state sees coming at them,, once you have names on the truck and haul that kind of weight , and doing it commercially as a business and a way to make income,,you are required to pull into weigh stations and can be given DOT inspections etc,,

some can be as anal as checking to make sure you have metal valve covers on you t ire valve stems,, just be prepared,,, -- hey wait thats the scout motto mhahah:p

keep plugging along with determination it will work,, have faith , and a positive outlook,, things will work out ,, but it is a more than just doing what the business entrails when owning a business,,'

you may also want to have at least 6 months worth of money saved for the bills and upkeep of your home,business,food etc,[I KNOW EASIER SAID THAN DONE<< but needs to be said],, because it takes a drain on the income FAST..

I know I went that route sinking a bunch of time and money into the startup of a business [actually a few times--slow learner?] and one break down or tire hurts hard,,

sorry to be doom and gloom, but if someone can learn from the mistakes I have made in business, it will be worth it, pat:wink:

TaylorTradingCo

Cdl

I don't think he would need a CDL. Get a tag that says up to 26,000# and you don't need one if you stay in your state, even if you do use it for business.

If you get over 26,000#, then you have to have CDL, health card, log books... too much hassle.

The truck weighs around 12-13,000#. That leaves you with a combined weight of 13-14,000# capacity for your trailer to still be under weight.

Another note for less DOT hassle is bumper pull versus gooseneck. They give me a lot of hassle because I pull a gooseneck. A gooseneck is also hard to install on a Deuce. I would recommend a heavy duty pintle mounted bumper pull trailer, then no modifications would be necessary.

You could even get a military M105 trailer cheap and pull the wiring harness and lights from it to remount on the new trailer, then the 24v system would not have to be messed with.

Derek Taylor

bottleworks - do you say that because of the weight of the Deuce or because of the trailer? I heard that something was passed last November that allowed the hauling of anything below a GCVWR of 26k without a CDL - but I'm not sure if that applies to me if I'm using it for a business or not.

Wow guys, a lot of great info here. I'm glad that I'm getting all kinds of different opinions, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

I really do need to figure out the licensing issue - here is what I THOUGHT was true:

1. I would not need my CDL if I used about a 10k rated trailer, as this would keep the GCVWR below 26k lbs. with the Deuce and the trailer.

2. The Deuce would need commercial plates because I am using it for my business

3. I would need commercial insurance on the Deuce (any idea on this commercial insurance prices for the Deuce vs. my Dodge?)

4. I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller I just put into my Dodge. Its a very nice brake controller, and it comes with a "quick mount" so it can be removed and put in multiple vehicles. Would there be a way to make this work with the Deuce, or would I need a brake controller that has an air brake adapter, like the Brakesmart (NOT CHEAP!).

I would love to make a Deuce "work" for me... I hope it would be a smart decision, and I have to keep telling myself that it would be stupid to get it just for the cool factor, and that I would really need it to be useful for my business. The more help I can get from you all here, the more informed decision I can make - so I GREATLY appreciate everything I have heard from you all.

Last edited:

silentbob

If you go with a trailer get a M105. It will be lower than the deuce bed so loading will be easier and the lights, brakes, and pintle hook will all work.

But I would still go with the lift gate and not have to deal with the extra drag and hassle of a trailer.

bottleworks

4. I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller I just put into my Dodge. Would there be a way to make this work with the Deuce...

Sure. If you setup a 12 volt system to power it. You can add a 12 volt alternator or add a battery equalizer. A search will show different setup opts. I assumed you would be using a trailer that's over 10K. If your not, then I don't think you do. It would be a good idea to confirm with NCDOT before you spend any money on your venture.

Thats good to hear, thanks.

Right now whatever trailer I would choose I would make it so that I wouldn't go over 26k GCVWR.

The M105 trailer would be cool for sure, but I don't think its rated to haul my Bobcat which weights about 5k.

I will do a search on here to figure out how I would wire up the brake controller - as I'm not sure how I would get it to work with the Deuce.

man that tractor looks like it would go thru anythng,, what do they call them, rice tires?
Yep, those little Yanmars are mean to be run pretty much half submerged in rice paddys.

Every time I drive this thing it puts a smile on my face, its just a really neat little piece of equipment. I have a box blade, dirt scoop, 36" Howse bush hog, a 38" Muratori tiller, carryall, electric sprayer, etc. for it.

The cool thing about it is contrary to what a lot of people believe, they are super reliable, very easy to work on (oil change takes about 7 minutes, you don't even get your hands dirty) filters are available at NAPA, and parts can be ordered online and be there the next day if you need them in a hurry.

I was out driving it a little today since it hadn't been run in a while, and hit a muddy area in the horse pasture. The tires make a "schloop"ing noise as you drive through the mud because the lugs sink so far down the act like little suction cups... lol.

Its very small (though it doesn't think so, lol), I may need to consider a bigger tractor at some point, but really the Bobcat can do just about everything the tractor can, except in small gardens and stuff where it won't fit.

Here is a size comparison.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Diesel_Fuel_Only/SN850289.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Diesel_Fuel_Only/SN850290.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Diesel_Fuel_Only/SN850291.jpg

roscoe

Think about a roll-off bed like the "switch and go". This would allow you to load the skidsteer on the ground, then hook and lift the bed onto the truck. These will also dump - very handy. I was thinking about doing this setup for my business. I was also considering the purchase of a Duece for this and this site has been very useful in finding information.

jpcj-7

Think about a roll-off bed like the "switch and go". This would allow you to load the skidsteer on the ground, then hook and lift the bed onto the truck. These will also dump - very handy. I was thinking about doing this setup for my business. I was also considering the purchase of a Duece for this and this site has been very useful in finding information.

That is a great idea! I never thought about that for a Duece! That would be even better on a 5 ton!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I put mine to work last night actually... I have a buddy that wanted to pick up some logs that the wind storm a few months ago in Louisville deposited around town. So around 11pm I was out in th middle of some neighborhood in 18degree temps putting 100lb+ logs into the deuce... While it nice to be able to just drive over the sidewalks and get close to the objects the bed height was less than optimal.

blackdiesel

hey dennis whats up.

i didnt read the whole thread, lots of long posts so i'll keep mine short.

Dont worry about burning oil in the engine! just make sure to get the multifuel, and i know guys, on here expecially, run it on straight used oil. I usually run 50/50 used oil (anything from motor oil to cooking oil) and diesel.

will probably up the percentage in the summer, i just run the diesel to thin it down in the winter

-brian

jollygreen

hey one more thing if you put a winch in the bed and use the ramps you will still need to be in the skid steer to run the controls. plus working on constuction equipment for a living if it breaks on a job site (loss of control on one side drive chain, drive motor, jerky tandum pump, broken axle) how about low fuel level and it dies half way up the ramps. but the most important thing is to keep trying new ideas with out people like you this country wouldnt exist and we would stilll be sitting in a cave wondering why our square wheels dont work right. one more thing listen to the guys on this site there old not dumb

GoHot229

I grow Coastal Bermuda in North Carolina for feed. I endevor to grow some of the finest in the area, as premium horse feed. So my Deuce is used often for hauling peletized nitrogen, deisel and the finished product, baled hay. The Deuce is perfect for all my work, though a dump bed would be a luxury. I manage happily without one never the less. For what I have into it $$$ it can't be beat. And I still am able to go tooling around whenever the need arises for the hobby end of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks