• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about 105 hitch height

Lonesome715

I bought a 105 from a friend of mine a while back. My deuce is down so we tried to pick it up with our F250. When I backed up to it the hitch height was way too high to hook up. Now, I know the tongue dips quite a bit but this one would have dipped too far. I see photographs on this site of many of you all picking this trailer up with stock height pick up trucks and SUVs. But even with my adjustable hitch all the way up, it still was not high enough. Were these trailer different heights? Is there something I am missing here?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lunette height is right at 36". If it looked right on a pickup, they had an extra tall riser.

Lonesome715

I know what you mean, I tried that as well. Then I have no choice but to wait until my deuce is running and legal. That is not good becuase I need that trailer for something here at home.

markmontana

I wouldn't call it a 'custom' hitch, just a simple plate to add some elevation. Good to have around. Trailer supply stores.

I just towed a trailer 700 miles with it, and the lunette height is much higher than a 105.

IMG_2094.jpgpintle_hitch_riser.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 2 adults, you can lift and fold the landing gear up.

Then, set it down on your hitch.

With the landing gear up, you can set the pintle ring down and almost touch the ground.

Lonesome715

That is a neat hitch. I like how simpe it is.

We were going to try that, but after taking measurements it looked as though the landing gear leg will still drag.

machinist75

Are you pulling the lever out of the back of the leg to release and raise the leg up. You do know it swivels up right? I pull mine with my 2wd suburban all the time.

Last edited:

Lonesome715

Yes, even folded it was too nose down. I am not sure if this is a newer or older one, but it seems to me like there are height differences. Our 250 is two wheel drive but I do not think that matters.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I pull mine with my 1/2 ton Chev, the rear of the 105 bed is a good foot higher than the front of the 105 bed. I absolutely can't imagine it not working.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, with the leg folded up and the tongue resting on the ground the M105 lunette ring (in stock position) will be at only 3", distance to ground! I don't see anything compromising ground clearance there.
Actually, what is the distance from the center of your truck's receiver to level ground?

G.

Last edited:

Happyland1410

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 4x4 F150 pulling a M105 trailer with a Tractor Supply 8-hole hitch plate. I had plenty of clearance and it was 14" from the ground to the bottom of the 2" receiver bar. My 4x2 F250 hitch height is 3" higher at 17" from the ground to the bottom of the bar. Your trailer must have some different tongue mods or a low rider truck.
Picture 002.jpg

uriss

I pulled mine home from Ft. Polk with my 1985 chevy suburban. I had gone to the local parts store and bought the hitch to fit my receiver. Using a farm jack I collapsed the wheel and dolly all the way back and then lowered the trailer onto my rig. I do have air shocks but my vehicle rode level. The trailer had its butt way up in the air and is riding on the 10 r 22.5 wheels. Maybe it was cause I didn't know any better? Before I got the duece home I used the suburban to take that trailer to the flea market, find it handy with the surge brake on it.

doolest

glad to see i was't the only one with the forward slant during the recovery :shock:...must be fairly common as the gl guy didn't even crack a smile when we hooked mine up to my tahoe...looks much better on the 5 ton :beer:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks